Is 75k miles really high mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that most of the engines today will live well past 100k or even 200k miles (I got 240k out of a $13k Hyundai that was going strong when I got rid of it after 10yrs) does the 75k mile mark for HM oils really make sense? Is 75k miles still considered high mileage?

I was going to change my truck to HM oil, but at 265,000 miles, I'm not certain that it's high mileage yet...

Last edited:
I would say a 10 year old car with 75k on it would benefit from HM oil due to the seal conditioners, but a 3 year old car with 75k would not.

who sets the 75k mark for going HM? oil makers?

Also: before the HM days: engine goes kaboom after 75k simply because there's on such thing called HM oil around?

Me never resort to using HM oil on higher mileage engines to begin with, so long as (a) oil burning (consumption) issue is well within reason; and (b) no seal leaks of any kind.

Q

Not for a recent car that's been decently kept up. HM oil does have its place for older or neglected engines.

75K is nothing for a modern day engine.
If there are no issues on the car (leaks, usage, etc) keep using the oil that you used previously. If the engine is doing fine, why change because an oil manufacturer and/or their marketing department have picked an arbitrary number designed merely to extract more dollars from the consumer.
If there is a valid need for HM oil, go for it. If it solves the issue(s), keep using it.

75,000 miles is not high mileage, it's just getting started at that age. It's unnecessary unless you're burning oil or leaking, or have a really old car you fear will start leaking.

Marketing. My ex's 2003 Mercury Marauder has almost 200,000 on it and doesn't leak. It burns about a quart in 5,000 miles, but that's been consistent since we bought it with 87,000 in 2007. I see no benefit to using an HM oil.

Now my '68 Buick with almost 190,000 miles was neglected and run on [censored] oils (I bought it in '78 with 165,000), and it leaks & burns a bit, so that *might* benefit.

75K certainly isn't HM, but HM oil in my 315,000 mile Bonneville has cut consumption in half. I believe I started using it around 250K or so.

I don't consider a modern car to be HM until 150k.
My experience with switching from a regular to HM oil showed a definite decrease in oil consumption, so I'm a fan. At least I can say "it worked for me".

when my car just had 90k it already had many leaks they are much worse now
around here any car purcahsed for under $5,000 will leak regardless of mileage

also if your car runs good with 200k thats great but its re-sell value would be very low. at least in my area

I don't think that either car in my signature have enough miles to qualify for a HM oil as I understand the advertising. From what I understand HM oil is a remedy for a problem that I have not experienced.

i disagree i believe it's not just a remedy but preventive maintence
if they still make it i will use it for the rest of my life

Originally Posted By: jacky
i disagree i believe it's not just a remedy but preventive maintence

Preventive maintenance is changing the oil on schedule with the proper lubricant.

A brand new car does not need seal swellers or conditioners.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I don't think that either car in my signature have enough miles to qualify for a HM oil as I understand the advertising. From what I understand HM oil is a remedy for a problem that I have not experienced.

With the RedLine you don't need those conditioners at all. it beats any HM oil by its nature. In fact, when I needed [on a rare occasion] to treat my valve stem seals I used 1-2 bottles of RedLine in the crankcase. Excellent oil in many regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back