Oil recommendation for 2007 Lexus IS250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm after recommendations on Engine oil for my 2007 IS250 with 130,000 kms. Price is not an issue so I'm after a premium grade oil.

Owners manual recommends 5W-30, I live in Melbourne Australia and drive 50% highway 50% city.

The supplier I normally get my oil from recommends either Motul or Redline as they are the only two that do an ester oil which is a higher group 5 oil and supposedly a more premium oil than Royal Purple, Amsoil etc which are only group 4?

Cheers

Last edited:
I just now picked up some PP 10w30 for the 4.7% NOACK. Group V is a solid 6% NOACK, IS250 DI seems to be the only porblem with this car, I'm going to tear up the intake this summer to see how filthy the valves are. I ran M1 most of it's life (don't know what dealer used). Using Gp V is something I would do if my budget allowed it.

Redline. Will help keep the oil rings & drain back holes cleaner to reduce the occurrence of the dreaded carbon misfires on that 4GR-FE engine

Originally Posted By: antik
So it's true that Group 5 is far superior to oils such as Amsoil, Royal Purple etc?

No. Define "superior". Base oil is only one of the components of motor oil. I recommend further reading on the subject. But there is no evidence that Redline is superior to other oils in all categories. Redline has some GREAT properties, one of those being shear resistance. Their PAO/Ester blends are very high viscosity for the grade and pretty much stay that way.

Originally Posted By: antik

The supplier I normally get my oil from recommends either Motul or Redline as they are the only two that do an ester oil which is a higher group 5 oil and supposedly a more premium oil than Royal Purple, Amsoil etc which are only group 4?

No one can make such a blanket statement and no oil is 100% ester. I can't speak for RP, but Amsoil contains esters and Redline contains PAO's. A 100% ester oil would cost a LOT and would not necessarily be a good motor oil.

Any oil in the OP would do just fine in the automobile listed. Some of the Amsoil 5W-30's such has HDD 5W-30 or ASL 5W-30 will be a tad better at extended drains, which you did not mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back