will epoxy glue work on refrigerator shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 14 yr old whirlpool refrigerator and one of the shelves has a small broken plastic piece on it. the broken part is part of a "groove" that the veritable drawer slides in and out, on.
will epoxy glue stick to the plastic in a refrigerator? or due to the cold is that some type of odd plastic?

Seems a few companies are starting to make a glue with methacrylate and very small bits of plastic. Plast-aid is one type. Supposed to weld/fill the break.

I think with epoxy you'd be hoping the stuff would stick to the (smooth) plastic next to the break so it would continue to carry the load of the drawer.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
JB Weld

I had a refrigerator in my basement for 15+ years that had a JB Weld repair. It will work very well. If you can scuff sand the area to be repaired do it, it will give the product some tooth.

They do make a plastic epoxy. Seen it @ AZ a month or so ago.

If able, one of the (yeah I know) radiator epoxy kits has a fiberglass strip included. Maybe a thin strip under the shelf bracket (if room allows) may/may not help strengthen.

I'd bet it is Polystyrene which is easy to "glue" back together. If it were me I'd try a "Polystyrene Cement" such as plastic model cement from the hobby store.

I'd Superglue it back together, then dig some grooves across the break with a dremel a mm or 2 deep then place some fiberglass roving in the groove and saturate it with more super glue.

Then I'd Re enforce the opposite sidein the same manner to prevent it from breaking.

I've done this to a door shelf on my fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back