Does Toyota make the best automotive a/c?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that the Camry in my sig. has the most powerful (fan) and coldest a/c out of all the cars I've had and have ridden in, on a 95 degree summer day I can get the car cooled down to mid 70's in a matter of minutes where as the Dakota takes much longer and seems to suffer under 30 MPH, the side windows do seem pretty thick in the Camry compared to other cars I have had, are they possibly laminated/insulated better? just curious what mechanism makes the a/c so effective.

From my experience, and this is not a biased opinion based on my work, Ford trucks, F150 and up, have some of the most intense AC I have ever seen.

Worst AC is a Lotus Exige, it feels like an elderly man with emphysema gasping for breath.

I have 6 toyotas in my immediate family, and their AC is fantastic, they are still running on their original Freon fill, no leaks yet.

BUT my 1996 honda civic lx's AC was hands down twice as faster in cooldown then all these cars, in fact it was even quicker then some of the luxury vehicles we have BMW/Mercedes/Lexus to name a few but a year ago it developed a leak, which was fixed with a low pressure line replacement, but the AC was never the same, I do not own that vehicle anymore though.

My car can really move some air as well, but being black with black leather it gets really hot if it sits in the sun! I stuck a thermometer in the vent the other day and at about 90 degrees outside the A/C blows 35 degrees. Not too bad, especially for a car with 170k miles that the A/C has been on for a huge amount of those miles.

Well, IDK if Toyota makes the best A/C units but, they sure are very good! I've had Honda's that left a bit to be desired but, they still worked OK in the Northern summers, not as well in Arizona's intense heat! And, I have rented cars from Nissan many years ago that were also not so good in the Florida heat.

I would have to say that the domestic auto mfg's make some pretty good units from my personal experience, Chrysler's were among the best, with GM being very close!

I have a different story than yours. My 9 year old Toyota manufactured car's AC is weak compared to a Korean made car. I had to recharge a few times in the same season. There must be some serious leakage.

toyota makes the best of everything
my only complaint about toyota in general is comfort seats are too hard etc
i know this has nothing to do with a/c

Last edited:
I remember working for Cadillac in the early 90's, they had ICE cold A/C. My BMW has the coldest A/C of anything I own now, but that may be because the cabin is so Tiny.

The A/C in our Camry feels inadequate for the FL heat.

Whatever Ford used in the Quest/Villager is one powerful system. The system in my Japanese made Nissan blows cold in a couple minutes and it's 13 y/o without a recharge.

It's really tough to beat the R-12 used in the old cars=my '66 Riviera hasn't needed a charge in over 20 years and will freeze you out.

The 98 Camry (for my youngest kid - school/work) has been great. Probably the best I've had. Cools fast and won't take long needing to turn it down.
The 2010 Tucson has been the worst I've had. Takes a while for vent temp to drop and fan doesn't blow hard plus the vents (for the driver anyway) get somewhat blocked by the steering wheel. But one thing is, the Tucson has such a small mpg hit when the AC is used. Some fan air probably lost as the under the driver seat there is some air blowing back for passenger feet. And I do replace the cabin filter as needed.

Last edited:
many German cars have weaker a/c systems I think, probably because in Germany a hot day is much cooler than in hot day in west texas.

my 94 camry would freeze you out even at 150,000 miles, my2004 Tpy highlander is not quite that good but it is still good

I chose a car with heat and sun reflective glass and white paint. It doesn't get much hotter than ambient in the car, even when parked in the sun all day.

No matter how hot, within minutes the AC slows down to a crawl as the set temperature has been reached, and the air coming out of the vents is only a few degrees cooler than the set temperature. Love it!

My F150 blows some cold air. Now my daughters Honda Minivan struggles in the Texas heat even though it checks out fine at the dealer.

freon refridgerator/cooling systems are one of the most reliable systems made. Look at refrigerators, rarely do they go bad! Same with house air conditioner/heat pump systems. Simple and reliable systems.

Vibrations in car systems make leaks more common, but replacing coolant is relatively easy. Few major system failures.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The Chrysler products I've owned, from the old R-12 York compressor equipped, up to my '06 Ram, will FREEZE you out, even when it's 100F+.

Yeah I had a 99 XJ cherokee that rocked. White paint, big greenhouse, no tint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back