Oil color was a dark red color

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
I'm not a chemical engineer, but I don't buy that. I'm thinking it's tranny fluid. Never seen RED motor oil, even the break-in stuff isn't red.

I know for a fact from the customer it's not tranny fluid and it's not synthetic ethier.

quote:

Originally posted by Oil stain:

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
I'm not a chemical engineer, but I don't buy that. I'm thinking it's tranny fluid. Never seen RED motor oil, even the break-in stuff isn't red.

I know for a fact from the customer it's not tranny fluid and it's not synthetic ethier.

Maybe it's whale blubber that's been refined so that it can lubricate their engines.

My wife's 4.0 using Delvac 1 has a "dark cherry honey" appearance to it. It's translucent, but dark. I assume that it has to do with the fuel we use and the extended OCI that we employ (currently 12+k) since this doesn't occur in my son's 4.0 in his Cherokee.

Now I have, in the past, seen oils that were almost opaque with red color that actually evidenced a "stain". Almost like liquid "Rustolium" or some other "metal oxide" primer. This was rare however and I never got to follow up on the cause (ancient gas jockey days) since no long term relationship with the vehicle was possible.

Back in the early 70's I was a kid in college and was running a Studebaker Hawk. I was working part time at a Chevron station. Back then, oil came in cans with cardboard sides, tin top and bottom. Their top oil came in a gold can, I think it was a 10-40. The next one down was silver. The first time I used it I panicked. It was cherry red like tranny fluid. I called the Chevron headquarters and told them they mislabled tranny fluid and we had cases of it. They called back and said that was the color of it. They must have gotten other complaints, because about a year later they changed it. Boy, I miss my Studebakers.

Just checked the oil in my GF's Toyota Avensis and it was clear/transparent but with a red tinge. Never seen that before.

The car has been stationary for a couple of weeks. She's always (AFAIK) had it dealer-serviced. The oil was changed at Chinese New Year with low miles since then.

I also checked the (auto) transmission fluid level. Seemed to be rather over-filled, a darker shade of red, and some black (looked like metal particles) also wiped off the dipstick.

Its a pretty hard-to-insert spring-steel strip that has to follow a curve, so I suppose if it was my car there could be some wear on insertion. She never checks anything, though, so it isn't that.

I briefly wondered if the over-filling of the auto-trans could somehow have caused cross-contamination of the engine oil, but don't see how that could happen, though I don't know this car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Guys why drag up the 11 year old thread?

Because otherwise I'd have been creating a NEW thread on a topic that ALREADY EXISTED.

DUH?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I use Pennzoil Ultra sm and it has a reddish tint after using it a few months

I believe Toyota coolant is red (two shades) and of course ATF is generally red.

Is Toyota engine oil red as well???

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
I've seen it before. Mostly on synthetics that probably had a bit pf
life left.

What's "pf life"?

This was relatively fresh oil, and was probably synthetic, though of course the GF has no idea what they put in it.

I'll see if she kept the invoice, but it'll be in Chinese, and probably not specific.

I have dumped a sump of rusty red atf looking oil out of an XL7 and dug up all kinds of threads on this topic. Some one blamed moly, but Valvoline dino had none. I put in Chevron Supreme in there and lo and behold, the oil is once again red as it was. I has to be engine related, but I have no clue what. This particular Zuke was maintained VERY well from 0 miles, so I am lost. I am pretty Valvo dino was used it's whole life @ 3k mi OCI.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
What's "pf life"?

I think that's what one gets when one fat fingers while typing "of life."
wink.gif

If you're worried, run an analysis. I will say, however, that in a lot of years running LPG, I've never seen that happen unless I pulled out the ATF dipstick instead of the oil dipstick. That being said, I have no experience with your particular brand of oil.

After 600 km i decided not to change that oil early. I think this oil ages this way and thats all. I will do another 5k km and then change to something with SJ spec.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back