Honda Blue Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

I've done a couple of drain/refills on my Civic in 13 years and 150K miles. I've always used the Honda coolant. Are there "better" coolants? Just curious what the opinions are. I'm planning to stick with the Honda genuine but thought maybe there might be a reason to switch...or not?

Agreed. Just thought maybe there was some miracle coolant for half price I hadn't heard of.

Penzoil's has low silicate right on the bottle. Thats what I use as Honda blue replacement. Never done a coolant analysis, I also never had issues or metal bits in coolant.

I do drain and fill every 2 years for good measures.

Last edited:
There are a few options besides OEM:

Napa has Pentofrost A3, in 50/50 form just like you'd get at the dealer. It costs quite a bit less, too.

Napa also carries Zerex Asian, again in 50/50. It's pink like Toyota, but it should work in your Honda.

Pep Boys has "OEM brand" blue coolant in concentrate form for $20. Made in Canada by Recochem. The only concentrate formula I know of that comes in Honda blue spec.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
There are a few options besides OEM:

Napa has Pentofrost A3, in 50/50 form just like you'd get at the dealer. It costs quite a bit less, too.

Napa also carries Zerex Asian, again in 50/50. It's pink like Toyota, but it should work in your Honda.

Pep Boys has "OEM brand" blue coolant in concentrate form for $20. Made in Canada by Recochem. The only concentrate formula I know of that comes in Honda blue spec.

Ok. I always wondered if it was OK to mix. Some Honda sites warn against it. Some say it doesn't matter as long as you choose carefully (Asian Zerex and such). I think a couple years ago I paid about $30 for 2 gallons of Honda genuine. Is that cheap or spendy?

$30 for 2 gallons of Honda OEM coolant is pretty good! I thought it was at least $20!

You can probably mix the three I mentioned with no problem, and even Peak Global Lifetime would work OK.

What you DON'T want to do is mix Honda spec with, say, green silicate or Dexcool "deathcool"

Being new to Honda with a 2012 Accord, I chose to play it safe and recently purchased two gallons of the Honda Genuine blue at the dealership for $40. To me that is very expensive for 50/50 mix. I buy concentrate coolant on sale for my Ford cars and mix with distilled water.

Peak Long Life, it says they have OEM Honda approval, I use that in all my toyotas and hondas now, they all have OEM water pumps with no leaks...easily have more then a million miles on all the cars I now maintain for the family, I only changed the thermostats because the springs were getting lazy and the heat up was slower is all.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Peak Long Life, it says they have OEM Honda approval, I use that in all my toyotas and hondas now, they all have OEM water pumps with no leaks...easily have more then a million miles on all the cars I now maintain for the family, I only changed the thermostats because the springs were getting lazy and the heat up was slower is all.

The only OEM approved coolant for Honda is the Genuine stuff.

The Peak stuff is recommended for Honda applications, but is not OEM approved.

With that said, I just did a used car prep for an Acura RSX and filled the system with the new improved version of Prestone All Makes. I probably wouldn't use it if the car was being kept, but....

Just got my 06 out of the shop for the timing belt/water pump/serpentine belt change. They showed me the water pump, that thing was so clean I thought it was a brand new pump they had for another customer. Seriously, that thing was spotless. No pitting, not discoloration, nothing. Looked like it was straight out of the box EXCEPT for the weep hole. There was a very small leak so changing it out now was probably a good thing when these hot Oklahoma summers kick in pretty soon. Now of someone can tell me the easiest way to change the back plugs on that 3.0 V6 I'd be greatfull.................

I want to stress that all honda should stick with Genuine fluid to prolong the life of waterpump, seals and SENSORS.

Ive seen some older hondas where the sensors and waterpumps are corroded with crusty stuff when used with the nasty green coolants. I just pulled my waterpump(used with honda coolant) that has been on for 85k miles and it looks pristine. It could be resold for as a brand new unit!

The extra few bucks you spend on honda coolant is worth every penny. If you dont want to spend money on that 2nd gallon for your drain and refill, you can get away with using distilled water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back