K20A3 Honda EP3 Change Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

Hey all,

I have a 2002 Honda Civic Si with 150K and live in the upper midwest. I typically change my oil every 6 months. November 1st and May 1st. This is almost always 5,000 miles or so. 95% of my driving is about 8 miles to work and back. 6 of the 8 miles are interstate, 60mph, not driven too crazy most of the time. I've always run whatever synthetic is cheapest (QSUD, Napa, Mobil 1, PP) and once in a while run a conventional oil if it's a great deal (I just picked up some conventional Havoline for $2/quart). Anyway, given the typical distance and the fact that from November-March the temps can be brutal at times (lows of -20 to -30 highs below 0), just curious what you all think for my change interval. Owner's manual says 5K severe, 10K normal. It doesn't have a oil life monitor and it has a timing chain. It specs 5W-20 but I typically run 5W-20 or 0W-20 in the winter (or a mix if I have random ones around) and 5W-30 in the summer. I've been a lurker for quite some time and know you guys will light me up if this is the 100th time this question has been asked (I did search!!!) and, otherwise, give me 22 different answers. But, seriously, looking forward to your advice!

I'm in the same boat... 10,000 miles per year, 8 total miles per work day. I'm likely sticking with Mobil1 5w30 in my newly acquired TSX with Fram Ultra filter for 2 oil changes.

I've been tempted to let it go for 7-10K (I'm too cheap to spend the money on an oil analysis) but with the brutal cold weather in the winter I worry about fuel dilution and not being able to boil contaminants out. I wouldn't have a problem doing 10K on syn if it was on the May-Oct portion of my change schedule. Plus the doggone engine runs at 3K @ 60mph and 4K @ 80. I worry such high RPMs might be tougher on oil...maybe it's not, I don't know enough.

My wording was bad. I do 16 miles round trip. 8 each way.

5000 OCI on my kid's 2009 Civic 1.8L does just fine. Don't change anything.

Last edited:
You sound like you're doing things right.

Does your car leak or burn any oil? Adding the make-up oil can extend your OCI because you're replenishing some of the fresh oil.

0/5w20 is safe to use all year round.

The OCI you're doing now is perfectly good, but I'd do a synthetic oil change once a year/10k. Any syn on sale will do, and a mid-to-high-tier filter.

Dino I'd go to 5k, synthetic to 10k.

Your driving doesn't sound severe.

It's the super cold temps I worry about. When it's below 0 for highs I get that mayonnaise stuff on the oil fill cap because the top of the valve cover never warms. I have one of the EP3's with cam galling issues. Replaced both cams at 80K. That's why I shy away from running 0W-20 unless it's winter. I like to think I'm helping the wonderful cams they made with 5W-30.
If I do long drives at 80mph I'll burn about a quart every thousand if I'm running 0W20 or 5W20. If I'm 70 or under basically use none in 5K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yup
It's the super cold temps I worry about. When it's below 0 for highs I get that mayonnaise stuff on the oil fill cap because the top of the valve cover never warms. I have one of the EP3's with cam galling issues. Replaced both cams at 80K. That's why I shy away from running 0W-20 unless it's winter. I like to think I'm helping the wonderful cams they made with 5W-30.
If I do long drives at 80mph I'll burn about a quart every thousand if I'm running 0W20 or 5W20. If I'm 70 or under basically use none in 5K.

So did were you running the 5w30 before the galling issue presented itself?

No, was running 5W20. The metal on the lobes was pitted, so I doubt it was the oil. But figured higher HT/HS and so forth couldn't hurt.

No, was running 5W20. The metal on the lobes was pitted, so I doubt it was the oil. But figured higher HT/HS and so forth couldn't hurt.

Why do you doubt it was the oil that caused it? Pitting meaning that there were dents / missing pieces of the lobe? Were there track marks around the lobe? Thats now mine currently look.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Why do you doubt it was the oil that caused it? Pitting meaning that there were dents / missing pieces of the lobe? Were there track marks around the lobe? Thats now mine currently look.

The lobes had grooves where they hit the rollers and the grooves had pock marked, pitted metal. So I dont think it was hardened well. Unless only the top mm or two is hardened. But it wasn't all the lobes. 2 on the exhaust side and one on the intake. Also, it's a "known issue" on EP3 forums but not to Honda. LOL

Originally Posted By: gregk24

The lobes had grooves where they hit the rollers and the grooves had pock marked, pitted metal. So I dont think it was hardened well. Unless only the top mm or two is hardened. But it wasn't all the lobes. 2 on the exhaust side and one on the intake. Also, it's a "known issue" on EP3 forums but not to Honda. LOL

Do you have pics?

cam pic
it's not my pic but looks almost identical to that one. My pics are on my other laptop not near me. Google image cam galling ep3 and mine looked like all of those.

I should say except mine was a bit deeper and looked worse.

Last edited:
cam pic
it's not my pic but looks almost identical to that one. My pics are on my other laptop not near me. Google image cam galling ep3 and mine looked like all of those.

I should say except mine was a bit deeper and looked worse.

Ah, I see. My K24 has those dark track marks toward the center of the cams, but it feels smooth all the way across. Been running 5w20 / 0w20 year round since I got the car over 3 years / 30,000 miles ago.

Yeah, the new cams have been fine. They have a little discoloration like you stated but the old ones had grooves worn in about a mm deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back