Which Mobil 1 in a Ford V-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 24' motor home on the Ford 350 chassis with the V-10. At about 1000 miles I'm going to change it. I'm thinking Mobil 1 5-20 extended or 0-20AFE. Which would you use and why?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Is 20 weight the specified oil?

Are you aware of the 0w-20 EP?

5-20 is the reccomended oil. I'm assuming the Motorcraft smi-syn is the factory fill. I didn't know they had a 0-20 EP. Just wondering if 0w is ok for a new engine.

I'm going to guess that this won't be a daily driver and that the unit as built is fairly heavy.
Also, IIRC, the V-10 Mod is inclined to consume oil.
If it were me, I'd go to the stash and give it either QTP or Chevron Supreme syn in the 10W-30 grade, or maybe Ultra 10W-30.
It won't hurt the engine at all to go a little thicker and might benefit it.
If you're going to have to go out and buy oil for it, then maybe M1 AFE 0W-30 and see how it goes with consumption.
If consumption seems high, you could always go with a thicker thirty or even a forty.
This engine would also be fine on any decent conventional 5W-20 or thicker.
That is what Ford originally recommended for it.
It's not as though you're going to put a ton of miles on a motor home and although you might run it during the winter, the engine will warm up quickly and stay that way all the way to south FL.

Isn't that the engine that had a main bearing problem? I seem to remember a long thread about a blown V-10 in a motor home somewhere several years ago.

That engine was originally parts of the "modular" series with the 4.6L and 5.4L and originally spec'd for 5w30. I would still go with the factory spec'd 5w20 but just curious.

If its under warranty, why not stick with Motorcraft 5w20 blend? Top notch oil at a decent price and definitely warranty compliant. Otherwise, if you are planning to stick within factory OCI then I doubt there is any difference in performance between the various Mobil full synthetics.

The reason some people are replacing 5w20 with 0w20 is because Toyota and Honda are replacing 5w20 with 0w20. It hasn't been a problem for them, why would it be a problem in a Ford?

Originally Posted By: Phishin
If it was mine, I'd run M1 0w40 or Rotella T6 5w40.

Why would you do that?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w20 would be my top choice in the Mobil lineup

I wouldn't, but I have used M1 0-20AFE for several years and find it is excellent. Both engines are very clean, and no sign of wear at 10K OCIs.

I take it from your post this is a New Motor Home? And the V10 does not even have 1k miles on it?

If so I would personally stick with a 20Wt until you reach the 10K mile mark then if you desire!--> Change to either a 0W-30 or 5W-30! I really see no reason to change to a thicker viscosity unless oil consumption starts to be an issue...

Or just stick with either 0W-20 or 5W-20 until oil consumption begins and becomes an issue! If it ever does...

I really like Schaeffers #132! Might even give it a try if oil consumption begins...

Id run M1 AFE 5w20 in the beast. IMO the 5w20 is adequate. We have a Company F350 with the V10 and it is used for only heavy towing. we run 5w20 Trop artic in it and it doesn't complain. I does like a 1/2 qt every 3k miles, but it has 193k miles so that isn't any usage IMO. Great powerful engines.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Id run M1 AFE 5w20 in the beast. IMO the 5w20 is adequate. We have a Company F350 with the V10 and it is used for only heavy towing. we run 5w20 Trop artic in it and it doesn't complain. I does like a 1/2 qt every 3k miles, but it has 193k miles so that isn't any usage IMO. Great powerful engines.

Probably a typeo, but there is no M1 5-20AFE.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Probably a typeo, but there is no M1 5-20AFE.

Yes, tig1 I meant EP not AFE. Definitely a Typo there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back