Stack of new frames behind Toyota dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step up to the plate? There have been multiple class action lawsuits for this issue.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: 02SE
The frames that rusted prematurely on Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia models were improperly made by Dana Corp, for Toyota.

Toyota didn't specify that they be protected against corrosion, so Dana holdings didn't make them as such.

Wrong. Dana Corp failed to make the frames correctly. That is why Toyota won a multi-million dollar settlement against Dana Corp.

The frames that rusted prematurely on Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia models were improperly made by Dana Corp, for Toyota.

Toyota didn't specify that they be protected against corrosion, so Dana holdings didn't make them as such.

Wrong. Dana Corp failed to make the frames correctly. That is why Toyota won a multi-million dollar settlement against Dana Corp.
DOn't confuse the Toyota haters with the facts.

That's what I read a few years ago. Dana sold their frame operation to a Mexican company.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/12/retire-us-dana-idUSTRE70B7KZ20110112

Apparently the Tundra issue is separate:

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/toyota-tundra-frame-rust-dana/

21.gif

This may also be why the settlement was "only" 25 million. I'm sure this issue has cost Toyota FAR more than that.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'm sure this issue has cost Toyota FAR more than that.

GOOD!
smile.gif

But sadly, even 100 million is not even a lunch fee for the worshipped Nippon Giant.
frown.gif

No pictures needed. I've seen the frames stacked like cord wood out front of a local Toyota outlet. 2 guys, 8 hrs each. I bet the first couple jobs were pretty brutal. But then you would get the moves down.

I have heard that dealers were letting customers put on lift kits at no charge, or minimal additional charge, since the body is already off the frame.

As was stated, frames are a major pain for a parts dept. A frame is one of the parts that Ford will drop ship for a dealer at no cost because they know very few dealers are even able to deliver one to a shop.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Those Mexican made frames don't look like they have any corrosion protection either.

Was thinking the same thing... already rust on the welds there
crazy2.gif

+1 You'd think they would have learned something from the first round of problems.
27.gif

[/quote]

+1 You'd think they would have learned something from the first round of problems.
27.gif
[/quote]

What happened to Toyota's famous quality control? No inspections of frames received? No plant inspections? Hard to believe.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

27.gif
[/quote]

What happened to Toyota's famous quality control? No inspections of frames received? No plant inspections? Hard to believe. [/quote]

You would sure think so wouldn't you?

I think only the people inside Toyota know what really happened, and continues to happen.
There are reports of 2005 + Tacoma's with frame failures due to corrosion, so it appears they didn't learn a thing.

I'm not a Toyota or a domestic basher, I own both.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Rust or not, there's not many manufacturers that would step up to the plate like this. The best they'd do is some type of band-aid fix at best.

It would be nice if GM stood behind the POS Grand AM I just had to scrap because of engine cradle rust!

Yeah, maybe Dana forgot top aint them?

...and Toyota failed to use proper sampling for complete inspections of a random selection of these supplier parts and simply built them into new pickups instead including the Tundra that some believe to be so much superior to those Dodge, Chevy and Ford pickups that don't have their frames rusting in half in less than ten years.
Dana isn't the only bad actor in this whole sad episode.
Toyota shares a major part of the blame.
If I owned one of these trucks and it experienced dangerous structural rust in less than a decade's use, I know that it would be my last Toyota product.
People buy Toyota trucks thinking that they're getting a better built, more reliable and durable truck than the American nameplates deliver.
Apparently not.

I agree, Toyota should have been doing spot checks. Running periodic tests to verify all is well with product from that vendor. I could see them not thinking about some parameter, but it's Toyota, geez they have always had a thing with rust.

I was always surprised to see the stack of rusted frames behind the dealer. I would have thought it would have been a corporite edict to errect a privacy fence around the frames, new or old. But I guess now it's a mark of honor: "Look, we're fixing our mistake."

Anyone remember when the new Silverado's hit the lots, and they had rust too on the frame? You could see it looking into the rear wheelwells. Very light rust on crossmembers., in the cut or weld areas. I noticed my boss's 2013 did a good job of shedding undercoat in the months after he bought. Now perhaps GM is using thicker metal that won't rust as fast--but as a New Englander it still sticks out.

One of the first things I did when I got my Tundra was to whip out the 'ole Fluid Film...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back