Alternating between Mobil & Sunoco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil is Top Tier.

Sunoco isn't listed on TT's website, but they do state this on their corporate web page:

Quote:
-Sunoco fuels significantly exceed U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) gasoline detergency standards. All grades of Sunoco fuel contain the same level of detergent.
-In addition to government-mandated detergency tests, Sunoco fuels are subject to additional testing by an independent, third-party lab to further ensure their quality.
-Sunoco fuels contain other additives such as corrosion inhibitors and antioxidants, which help to ensure fuel quality. They also promote a longer “shelf life”, which means the fuel will last longer in between uses.
-Dispensers at Sunoco gas stations filter and trap particles as small as 10 microns from the gasoline before it gets into your tank.
-Sunoco fuels meet every car manufacturer's specifications for oxygenated and reformulated fuels in areas where those fuels are required by law.
-Sunoco fuels do not contain methanol.
-As stipulated by most automobile manufacturers, Sunoco fuels contain no more than 10% ethanol.
-Sunoco fuels do not contain MMT, a manganese-based fuel additive banned by the EPA in certain types of fuels.

I don't have Chevron or Shell around here. The only Top Tier stations in my area are Exxon and Mobil.

I know it's best to alternate between two different brands of gasoline every few thousand miles to allegedly clean deposits left behind by one brand's additives. What I do is fuel up at either Mobil or Sunoco, whatever's most convenient.

What fuel brands do you tend to use?

Last edited:
Mobil and Irving.Hit or miss on engine performance.One tank will be doggy next one could run great.I am a firm believer that there is wide differences between "lots" of fuel.And in the end,its the fuel that determines how well the engine runs.

Whatever Gas Buddy tells me the low bid fuel of the day purchased from a clean, high volume station.
This may include (but certainly is not limited to): Marathon, Speedway, Kroger/Turkey Hill, Giant Eagle Get Go, UDF, Murphy USA, or other brands which may be in the general vicinity of my location at a given point in time.
No issues or problems with this strategy.

I usually try to run a few tanks of Mobil through both vehicles to get some top tier gas with better detergents.

Otherwise it's usually just Sam's club.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Mobil is Top Tier.

Sunoco isn't listed on TT's website, but they do state this on their corporate web page:

Quote:
-Sunoco fuels significantly exceed U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) gasoline detergency standards. All grades of Sunoco fuel contain the same level of detergent.
-In addition to government-mandated detergency tests, Sunoco fuels are subject to additional testing by an independent, third-party lab to further ensure their quality.
-Sunoco fuels contain other additives such as corrosion inhibitors and antioxidants, which help to ensure fuel quality. They also promote a longer “shelf life”, which means the fuel will last longer in between uses.
-Dispensers at Sunoco gas stations filter and trap particles as small as 10 microns from the gasoline before it gets into your tank.
-Sunoco fuels meet every car manufacturer's specifications for oxygenated and reformulated fuels in areas where those fuels are required by law.
-As stipulated by most automobile manufacturers, Sunoco fuels contain no more than 10% ethanol.
-Sunoco fuels do not contain MMT, a manganese-based fuel additive banned by the EPA in certain types of fuels.

I don't have Chevron or Shell around here. The only Top Tier stations in my area are Exxon and Mobil.

I know it's best to alternate between two different brands of gasoline every few thousand miles to allegedly clean deposits left behind by one brand's additives. What I do is fuel up at either Mobil or Sunoco, whatever's most convenient.

Valero is also Top Tier now, they have several stations in the Buffalo area...

Hello, The fractions sent to No. N.J. contain gasoline, jet fuel and heating oil, I'm told.
I believe it follows that the plants being so close by, the plethora of delivery trucks and the population density contribute to the lower prices we see.
One HAS to assume fuel is fresh here.

The competitively priced stations near me include Delta, Enright, Power Gas, Pyramid and one example each from Sunoco and Valero.
I rotate through those stations. I dose my gas tank with Techron concentrate annually.
Since additives cost money and are dispensed when the trucks are filled, there's no doubt in my mind that loads of fuel can and do vary widely.
If there's a way to "talk up" a fuel, it'll be done.
If there's a way to cheat a customer, it'll be done.

Effectively, gas stations are run like restaurants.
A stand alone or 60 stations run by one owner (an actually example near me) makes no difference.
The owner orders up the ingredients and uses price as the #1 criteria.
No badly running cars or ptomaine poisoning = Plenty good enough.

Shell and BP are nearby but easily 15% more expensive across all 3 grades.
Shell is the perennial highest priced fuel.
Sunoco and Exxon/Mobil are dearer too.
Valero opened a slew of insanely high priced stations only to close several and realign the prices of others.
Fuel supply is simply a business. There is no sacred brand.

I've never felt a difference in "better fuels" and I've never measured any change in mileage.
I keep track.
I am done with my "one month experiments".

The only time I ever felt a change was in Canada. Irving fuel in my '76 Nova 250 resulted in hugely sluggish performance. The pep returned with my first fill up in Maine.
That was amazing. Kira

In my Hyundai, I run Shell since that what what the mfr recommends.

My Focus seems to run smoothest with Valero. When using Hess, I feel very noticeable vibration back through the steering wheel.

My truck likes anything.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Mobil is Top Tier.

Quote:

Valero is also Top Tier now, they have several stations in the Buffalo area...

Closest one to me is 35 minutes away.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, The fractions sent to No. N.J. contain gasoline, jet fuel and heating oil, I'm told.
I believe it follows that the plants being so close by, the plethora of delivery trucks and the population density contribute to the lower prices we see.
One HAS to assume fuel is fresh here.

The competitively priced stations near me include Delta, Enright, Power Gas, Pyramid and one example each from Sunoco and Valero.
I rotate through those stations. I dose my gas tank with Techron concentrate annually.
Since additives cost money and are dispensed when the trucks are filled, there's no doubt in my mind that loads of fuel can and do vary widely.
If there's a way to "talk up" a fuel, it'll be done.
If there's a way to cheat a customer, it'll be done.

Effectively, gas stations are run like restaurants.
A stand alone or 60 stations run by one owner (an actually example near me) makes no difference.
The owner orders up the ingredients and uses price as the #1 criteria.
No badly running cars or ptomaine poisoning = Plenty good enough.

Shell and BP are nearby but easily 15% more expensive across all 3 grades.
Shell is the perennial highest priced fuel.
Sunoco and Exxon/Mobil are dearer too.
Valero opened a slew of insanely high priced stations only to close several and realign the prices of others.
Fuel supply is simply a business. There is no sacred brand.

I've never felt a difference in "better fuels" and I've never measured any change in mileage.
I keep track.
I am done with my "one month experiments".

The only time I ever felt a change was in Canada. Irving fuel in my '76 Nova 250 resulted in hugely sluggish performance. The pep returned with my first fill up in Maine.
That was amazing. Kira

The base gas is all the same, but the additives can and do make a difference.

The only Top tier stations in my area are Mobil, and Valero.
I try to fill up at Top Tier stations when possible.
I usually just pick between Mobil and Valero based on price, Valero is cheaper most of the time. Mobil is right down the road from work, so sometimes I pay a few extra cents for that convenience.

Over the years Shell has run more bullbleep psudoscientific commercials for their stuff then any other supplier I can remember. "Platformate" yeah, right. All those ads must be the reason they're 15 cents higher around here that anyone else. I avoid them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back