Pole sitter: Lewis Hamilton, 1:59.431
Fast race lap: 1:43.066
*Podium:*
1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
2. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes
3. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull-Renault

02_Malaysia_72dpi.jpg

p01whg76.jpg

For more, check out my blog post on Temple of VTEC - Motorsports!

Thanks again! Great to have the season underway again, heading into round two with Lewis on top.

Thanks, GoFast. DVR is set.

I sure hope someone can get up there and mix it up with the Mercedes boys or it's going to be a long, boring season.

And.....

[my favorite soapbox] Will we ever get back to the trademark F1 scream of an NA engine at 18,000 rpm?

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

I sure hope someone can get up there and mix it up with the Mercedes boys or it's going to be a long, boring season.

And.....

[my favorite soapbox] Will we ever get back to the trademark F1 scream of an NA engine at 18,000 rpm?

They should just get rid of the turbo charger, and run the hybrid system off the crank. I imagine Honda did jump back in now due to the new engine regs though. They can see that the near future of drivetrains will be turbo hybrids, and the accelerated R&D process that F1 provides can jump them to the front for road cars.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

And.....

They should just get rid of the turbo charger, and run the hybrid system off the crank. I imagine Honda did jump back in now due to the new engine regs though. They can see that the near future of drivetrains will be turbo hybrids, and the accelerated R&D process that F1 provides can jump them to the front for road cars.

I somewhat agree with this, although I have to say that from an R&D standpoint, series like LeMans make a lot more sense: more drivetrain flexibility, power unit flexibility, hybrid system(s) flexibility, etc. Plus, probably a lower overall cost to operate in that series as opposed to F1. I believe there have been manufacturers in the past who have stated something similar as their reasoning for not entering F1.

Getting back on my soapbox, I honestly feel that for a pinnacle racing organization like F1, R&D and new technology trickling down to roadgoing cars should be the byproduct of semi-open-ended regulations, and not the end goal. We all know that the turbo V6 era wasn't brought about because it's cool or in demand, but rather, because it's more relevant to the day's technology and the cars people will buy now/in the future. I want to see good racing, hear violent engine noises, see crazy winglets, innovation... the technology will still trickle down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

I watch them all live, but I'm a night owl. Of course, tonight's qualification is a tad late, even by my standards.

You and me both Garak. I was up at 2:30AM EST watching qualifying. I'm beat.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Tonight starts at something like 2:55 local time (CST), but at least that's just for an hour. My normal bed time is about 5:00 a.m., when things go right.

I'll be uo watching too buddy.
thumbsup2.gif

Fell asleep and woke up just in time to see..... GEICO Free Range Chicken commercial.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: weasley
Well that was..... unexpected! Welcome back!

It is nice to see that Mercedes might have a good challenge on their hands this season and won't just walk away easily with every race, however keep in mind that Ferrari won this race purely based on having 2 pit stops vs the Mercedes 3. And yes, the reason for one less stop was that they were better able to manage their tire degradation, but that might not be something that's going to occur on any other circuit this season.

I really question why Mercedes (and many other teams for that matter) brought their cars into the pits on just lap 4 for a tire change when everything looked to be working well.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Ferrari won this race purely based on having 2 pit stops vs the Mercedes 3.

Partly this, yes. But let's not take away from Vettel his flawless driving, and the team's strategic and tactical execution. This was a straight fight, and Ferrari won it. Raikonnen also came 4th despite having had a puncture and racing from the back, as well as being out of position on the grid thanks to the upset qualifying.

I agree that one race does not a championship make, and I believe Mercedes will reassert dominance at other circuits. But this is the first time they have been bested during a race in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back