Help me pick a new lawnmower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I'm looking for advice on a new lawnmower. My criteria:
It has to fold for easy storage. My garage is filled with toys and space is a premium.
I'd like an easy height adjustment, preferable a single handle.
Self propelled.
Bag or mulch capabilities.
Let's hear your ideas and feedback on what you own or have used!

Mulching is good, I wasted money on a bag attachment for my LawnBoy I used only once or twice. You can't fold a Honda mowers handle, but you can make it go straight up or tilt it forward.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Since you live in a HUGE city find a guy that has 15 used ones lined up and go pick one up for $40.

That's what I would do.

Toro Super Recycler from a Toro dealer is what you want. About $600. Folding handles, super cut quality, durable, long lasting components. A 20 year mower unlike the usual 5 year junk at the big box store.

Or they usually can be found on Craigslist for $50 to $150 for a decent gently used one.

My Honda HRC216 has been bullet proof. it's 10+ years old. Only maintenance has been gas, oil, air filters and a couple of spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
Originally Posted By: joegreen
If space is a premium then what you need is an awd pushmower. http://www.husqvarna.com/us/awd/

Why? Does it fold up for storage like this Toro?

Toro Mower

This is one of the mowers I have my eye on. Great idea, more lawnmowers should store away like this. Vertically it could also be hung on a garage wall. Nice.

I have a 20 by 30 postage stamp of a yard...

Electric mower suits me just fine, no gas, no oil, no sparkplug...
Plastic deck to boot, no rust!

I think it's an MM675 from Black and Decker...

Originally Posted By: joegreen
If space is a premium then what you need is an awd pushmower. http://www.husqvarna.com/us/awd/

I concur. I have this mower under the Jonesred label(same mower) and it is great. Great vacuuming power. I got a discharge chute for $20 and don't bag. Should be $300. I'm in hilly WV and that sucker will pull me up the hills.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
My Honda HRC216 has been bullet proof. it's 10+ years old. Only maintenance has been gas, oil, air filters and a couple of spark plugs.

My Briggs&Stratton powered $100 special from Home depot has been bullet proof. it's 10+ years old. Only maintenance has been gas, oil, air filters and a couple of spark plugs.

Actually I did have to replace the front wheels, total cost $11 and 10 minutes of labor.

Last edited:
I had an 89 dollar home depot special lawn mower, and I had to build the thing out of the box. Not worth the money it was too small and too weak of a motor to cut any heavy grass.

Now I have a Deere 6.75 briggs powered self propelled unit.

Thing is like a cadillac compared to what I had.

That toro that you posted that folds up should suit you well.

I change filters in mine 3-4 times a year, I buy them in bulk on amazon for $4 each.

I change oil once a year with whatever I have, and keep the gas fresh.

Never had a problem otherwise.

Every year I put a two dollar champion plug in there as well.

It is the people who skip changing the air filter and oil that run into trouble.

So I thought I'd report back. I bought a Toro Super Recycler model 20381.

Pros.....starts easy, upright folding handle makes for easier storage with less footprint, hose attachment makes for easy deck cleaning. Mulching is good. Fuel economy seems pretty good. The engine is quiet and starts pretty easy.

Cons....the Personal Pace system does not always fully disengage making it hard to pull the mower back at a dead end. I have a few nooks and cranny in my yard that I have to stop and pull it back. However my Snapper mower (a model only about 5yrs old) did the same thing and got better over time. Hopefully this one will also. I don't understand why this is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blueglide88
Cons....the Personal Pace system does not always fully disengage making it hard to pull the mower back at a dead end. I have a few nooks and cranny in my yard that I have to stop and pull it back. However my Snapper mower (a model only about 5yrs old) did the same thing and got better over time. Hopefully this one will also. I don't understand why this is.

You may have to adjust the drive cable. Or, be cognizant to release pressure on the drive system while still pushing the mower forward to ensure the system releases correctly. Is there any part of the handle you can push on to move the mower forward without engaging the Personal Pace?

I generally dislike Personal Pace systems and this is one of the reasons. You can sometimes work around it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back