Car for son--Test drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 98 GTP with a 100k on it briefly (bought and sold) what stereotypical heap of 90's GM [censored] that car was. And that sea of cheap plastic inside, the creaking. I hope I never have to sit in one again.

I would point him towards a small wagon/hatchback, Protege5 or ZX3, matrix, that someone has taken care of, fun to drive, cheap to run. Who knows, it might last him well into his college years and beyond. I still remember how annoying it was trying to help pack my friends Civic coupe...

Is there a reliable mechanic you can bring it to for an opinion? I had a Dodge caravan that was stuck in reverse. Brought it to a transmission shop and was quoted 2500 for a rebuild, said tranny was shot. I had nothing to loose so I brought it to the dealer. Dealer diagnosed the problem as some sort of solenoid. Fixed for 300. Good luck with your decision.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I would point him towards a small wagon/hatchback, Protege5 or ZX3, matrix, that someone has taken care of, fun to drive, cheap to run. Who knows, it might last him well into his college years and beyond. I still remember how annoying it was trying to help pack my friends Civic coupe...

The Matrix has served us well. My wife bought it for $11k about 5 years ago when she started college. I have done enthusiastic maintenance on it, and have had zero problems with the car.

The only thing is that the clear coat is starting to fail in spots due to the Texas sun. I keep a good coat of wax on it, and I'm toying with the idea of getting it repainted for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back