Truck Tire Balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an interesting short article about truck tire balancing:
http://www.tirereview.com/commercial-tire-wheel-balance/

Some excerpts:
"………..Most importantly, recent information published by the S.11 Energy Conservation Study Group of the TMC shows that balancing all wheel positions on over-the-road rigs can save up to 2.2% fuel compared to non-balanced assemblies, regardless of truck ride considerations……"

"……..it is widely documented that all radial truck tires have reduced rolling resistance as they wear, with new tires being less fuel efficient (up to 6% difference) than their worn counterparts………"

"……..A typical linehaul 295/75R22.5 drive tire loses approximately 30 lbs. of tread rubber from new to a popular pull point of 6.5/32 depth remaining. Practically, this mass change means that periodic re-balancing may be required to maintain optimum balance and performance as the tires wear…………"

I wonder where that 30lbs of rubber (per tire) eventually ends up? Stuck to the road? In our lungs? Stuck to roadside vegetation? Somewhere else?

I had no idea they pulled truck tires at 6.5/32. It's law here to pull school bus tires at 4/32 but I'm not aware of any practice or law that's any tighter. Must be policy, which is weird as the "word on the street" is that trucking companies pinch pennies like noone's business.

They don't necessarily pull them at 6/32. DOT regulation is 4/32 for steer tires and 2/32 for the rest if I remember correctly.
Company policy may vary though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I wonder where that 30lbs of rubber (per tire) eventually ends up? Stuck to the road? In our lungs? Stuck to roadside vegetation? Somewhere else?
It biologically breaks down . Car tires wear down the sane way as well.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Just looked at a Firestone site. Weights of new tires shown range from 103 to 134 pounds.

definitely.

I used to mount truck and bus tyres before, and guesstimated the heaviest combo's were about 175 pounds. I never checked the tyre weights though, but seems I wasn't far offwith my guess.

I always balanced all tyres too, not just for the steering axle.

the weight difference between a new and a worn tyre is very noticeable. Remember that you can cut a new thread too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back