Smoother engine from going up one grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the idea to start this thread after reading this interesting post:

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I can't say that I've ever really noticed this.
What I have noticed is how much smoother and quieter any engine seems going up one grade.

Has anyone else noticed a smoother and quieter engine after going up one viscosity grade?

Depends, did he start at 0w20? Then, definitly smoother going up one grade since the engine didn't run as much at mixed regimen lubrication, more parts at hydro.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Has anyone else noticed a smoother and quieter engine after going up one viscosity grade?

Yes... my Impreza engine, notoriously , umm, agricultural? in NVH, is quieter using a 40 grade vs a 30...

Note... not quiet, but QUIETER... !

My current Honda V6 engine has run on 20 , 30, and 40 grades... gasp! ...and seems quietest on the 40 grade... engine purrs like new at 120 000 miles... I typically use an 0w20 winter and a 5/10w30 summer, but ran some 0w40 M1 i had an extra jug of last summer. Engine seemed quieter...

There was a commercial many years back that showed engine sound before the oil change, then again after changing oil with ABC brand... it was so much quieter...!

Turns out the BEFORE oil had 3-4 000 miles on it and was at operating temp, and the new oil was at room temperature, thus much much thicker than the old oil.

They forgot to mention that part...

Why am not not surprised you started this thread even though I've seen it 100 times since I've joined and your a older member.

Even if noise was "less" wear might be higher.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Why am not not surprised you started this thread even though I've seen it 100 times since I've joined and your a older member.

Why am I not surprised you're trying to insinuate that I'm recommending everybody go up a grade? I knew one of you thin oil guys would try to do that, but I didn't know exactly who. There are some guys on this board that have noticed a smoother running engine by going up a grade on THEIR engine -- that's who this thread is for.

I am not a "thin oil guy".

Smoother "feel" may be desirable, but thicker oil isn't useful for those of us who see freezing temperatures and actually want the oil to flow when the key is turned but I guess winter is over so back to the 20w50 eh?

Even if noise was "less" wear MIGHT be higher.

Or, it MIGHT, in fact, be lower... !

I find it interesting that my 2011 Subaru specs 5w30 right thru 20w50, depending on conditions... yet the 2012 model suddenly REQUIRES 0w20 only... did basic lubrication principles change in just one year...? And, yes, I realize the 2012 has a "new..." engine...one that also seems to have oil consumption issues... coincidence ? Maybe... maybe not.

changing one grade generally will not negate any relative difference in performance IMO. For example a thick 5w20 and a thin 5w30 are more similar than they are different. A thick 5w20 may have a HTHS of 2.8cp and a thin 5w30 could have an HTHS of 2.9cp. the real world difference is likely not noticeable as they are not that different really.

There is someone on here with an Acura *I think, maybe it was a Toyota* that has ran 20, 30, and 40 weights, with the 20 being the quietest.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Why am I not surprised you're trying to insinuate that I'm recommending everybody go up a grade? I knew one of you thin oil guys would try to do that, but I didn't know exactly who. There are some guys on this board that have noticed a smoother running engine by going up a grade on THEIR engine -- that's who this thread is for.
It didn't take long, did it Merk. It's not uncommon for folks to notice less noise with T6 5W-40. It's not a cure all but worth noting.

Last edited:
Mine is the smoothest "in the middle" per se of the FSM recommended oil weights spectrum. Sticker under the hood says "Below 60F use 10W30,above 60F use 10W40". FSM says to use 10W30 for fuel economy and 10W40-20W50 for extended high speeds and racing. Says not to use anything below 10W. My car runs the quietest and smoothest on a 10W40. 20W50 feels a lil sluggish but still smooth.

So my oil of choice is usually a 10W40. Right now though I'm running Edge 5W50,which seems to be the best of the best! I got it cheap,and it can be hard to find around here. If Walmart sold it in the cheap 5 quart jugs,I'd use it all the time,and imo it's basically a thicker 10W40. Feels very thin between the fingers and shakes around in the bottle like a 10W30. Definitely ALOT thinner than a 20W50 (not scientific,I know).

To be honest, Merk, in my experience, on a good running engine, I haven't noticed. I don't hear a lot of difference between 5w-30 and 5w-40 in my G37. The same went for my old LTD when I tried a 10w-40 experiment (instead of 5w-30) to reduce consumption. I couldn't notice a lot of difference with the Audi, either, although there was a possible (possibly imagined), very slight increase in noise with 5w-30, but that got consumed rapidly, so I quit that in a hurry. There was a significant difference between ILSAC rated 30s in comparison to HDEOs and non-ILSAC rated 30s before the F-150 was rebuilt. That thing had some oil pressure issues and major fuel dilution, so that was to be expected.

And no, Merk, no one can accuse you of actually being into thicker grades, since you still use an ILSAC 30.
wink.gif
If you want to experiment a bit thicker, go ahead. If you want to stick to an ILSAC 30, go ahead. Your vehicle is well maintained and I doubt it's going to make the slightest difference in the long run.

Let the flaming begin.
I have an 87 5th ave. Chrysler i brought with 105000 miles on it.It's been on 10w40 since
87 D 100 Brought new, 20W50 ever since.
96 Dodge 1500, Mobil 1 15W50 since I got it @ 67000 miles.
Low temperature of -16 F. and high over 100.
No problems with any of them.
All have over 150,000 on them presently.
If I ever get something new or newer with lower miles I most likely go a little lighter.

Last edited:

Smoother "feel" may be desirable, but thicker oil isn't useful for those of us who see freezing temperatures and actually want the oil to flow when the key is turned but I guess winter is over so back to the 20w50 eh?

If you've had no prior experience of having a smoother engine after going up one grade, there's really no point in posting in this thread.

The thread topic is: "Smoother engine from going up one grade?"

20w 50 is what the BMW manual lists for my bike. So why not? You know more than they do? I've gor a Gen 4 Camry which has run on T6 since it came out and now has 300K on it I suess that "thick oil" really shortened the lifespan.

Last edited:
My 1990 Jaguar XJS V12 runs smoother and quieter going down from the recommended 20W50 to 0W40... LOL. The V12 is just smooth as silk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back