New Distributor - Any suggestions for good brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to replace the original equipment distributor on my 1990 Camry DX with a new one - old one is leaking oil through the shaft - bad internal seal.

I'm aware of the kbox rebuild kit, but don't want to deal with trying to remove the pressed-in pin that holds the key to the shaft, so I'm looking for a plug & play replacement unit.

I have had one aborted attempt at replacement with a "World Power Systems" new distributor from RockAuto. The coil on that unit went bad 3 weeks after I installed it. To their credit, RockAuto made me whole $-wise refunding the full original cost (part + shipping) and paid for return shipping of the bad part. I don't know if this was just a fluke, or if the WPS units are all [censored], but I'm not inclined to give them another chance after my first experience.

So, my question is, does anyone have any recommendations of a maker who makes a good aftermarket distributor?

At this point I'm considering units from Richporter & Cardone select. Anyone have any experiences with either of these makers, or another brand they would suggest?

Originally Posted By: Bama
I'm looking to replace the original equipment distributor on my 1990 Camry DX with a new one - old one is leaking oil through the shaft - bad internal seal.

I'm aware of the kbox rebuild kit, but don't want to deal with trying to remove the pressed-in pin that holds the key to the shaft, so I'm looking for a plug & play replacement unit.

I have had one aborted attempt at replacement with a "World Power Systems" new distributor from RockAuto. The coil on that unit went bad 3 weeks after I installed it. To their credit, RockAuto made me whole $-wise refunding the full original cost (part + shipping) and paid for return shipping of the bad part. I don't know if this was just a fluke, or if the WPS units are all [censored], but I'm not inclined to give them another chance after my first experience.

So, my question is, does anyone have any recommendations of a maker who makes a good aftermarket distributor?

At this point I'm considering units from Richporter & Cardone select. Anyone have any experiences with either of these makers, or another brand they would suggest?
Perhaps an "auto recycling center".

I have seen very bad luck with WPS brand distributors.More Chinese junk...

Look for a Denso unit. Every regular rebuilt distributor I used only lasts one year.

The price of OEM distributors is often huge. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back