Store brand oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks. Have any of you folks used a store brand oil like Mystic, Travellers, WPP, Mag 1, Auto Extra etc? If so did you have trouble with the oil or no and would you run any API certified store brand oil again?

Simple_Gifts, yeah Mystik. Spelled it wrong, doh! Dlundblad, as long it's not the swill that some shady convenience stores sell like Everclear or Bulls eye LOL ;)-

WPP (Warren Oil) makes Supertech synthetic for Wally, and it is well regarded on here. They are a contract producer who can be trusted.....so far.

So obviously stores don't blend their own oil, so most contract an existing oil company to bottle their oil. For example Walmart has their SuperTech oil, and all indications are it's a very good oil for the price. Depending on where you are it's either WPP or Shell that bottles the oil for them.

NAPA contracts with Ashland, who own and produce Valvoline. As such you can see that their oils are very very similar to one another.

Or if you want to have some fun (well, BITOG'er "fun"), you can check out something like: http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html and look at all the store brand oils that are extremely similar. For example Federated Auto, AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, Traveller, and some others all seem to have very similar additive packages, and the same bottle shapes. They've probably all contracted with the same company, and have very similar oil in their bottles.

Pretty much all the oils you listed in the first post are fine oils to use. Not saying they're top tier and able to compete with the likes of M1, or Amsoil. But they're good oils that will protect your engine just fine.

BTW, Mag 1 isn't a store brand oil, it's the WPP brand oil. Might be the same as SuperTech synthetic, I don't know, but I've never heard anything wrong with it, and I would use it in my engine without hesitation.

Thanks guys for all the info and links. I am learning all kinds of good stuff here
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Thanks guys for all the info and links. I am learning all kinds of good stuff here
wink.gif

Yes I pretty much know everything. Its a burden.

Quote:

BTW, Mag 1 isn't a store brand oil, it's the WPP brand oil. Might be the same as SuperTech synthetic, I don't know, but I've never heard anything wrong with it, and I would use it in my engine without hesitation.

Mag1, the Wpp flagship product has Moly, the Supertech product blended by Wpp does not. I've used Mag1, works fine.

due to severe leaks i top off with the cheapest oil possible
i use dollar general oil often
really since i know it will leak out, i would use any brand available

Originally Posted By: jacky
due to severe leaks i top off with the cheapest oil possible
i use dollar general oil often
really since i know it will leak out, i would use any brand available

Then use the cheapest API certified oil and keep her topped off. Then you will have no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back