Had the most fun on 2 wheels in a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been riding motorcycles for 25 years and rode a fast scooter last weekend for the first time. It was a used Vespa GTS 300. It was a real blast twisting the throttle and zooming off without having to peg the shifter up and down several times to go 400 feet. The slow speed manouverbilty and ease of handling was much better than the last bike I had. The owner ended up selling the scooter for more than I was willing to pay for it. I'm in the market for a used or new scooter that can go fast but isin't Chinese junk.

I cannot explain it. It is WAY too much fun.

I can ride a proper motorcycle. I've even raced. There's no reason that I should ever like these rubber band drive things, but I have fallen for them.

It's just too easy. On my Helix, you step on the brake pedal, mash the starter button, twist the throttle and go. It's as long as an Electra Glide but you would never guess that based on the way it moves in low speed traffic.

The GTS300 is an awesome machine. Unfortunately, it is priced WAY above a steel tube framed/plastic body machine. It's like $700 more than the bigger Piaggio BV350. $1000 more than the similar size/performance Honda Forza.

I bought a 2010 Vespa GTS300 for a steal. 1000mi on it. Unfortuneately its been sitting in the garage tarped. I still like the bigger bike. But this thread makes me wanna break it out and go for a rip, once it warms up of course.

I ride my mower more then the Harley,,,something wrong with that picture...like a boat owner, there are more boats full of furniture in garages across the USA then on the lake,,,and more exercise equipment used for drying clothes, bow flex makes the best clotheslines in the USA.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I cannot explain it. It is WAY too much fun.

I can ride a proper motorcycle. I've even raced. There's no reason that I should ever like these rubber band drive things, but I have fallen for them.

It's just too easy. On my Helix, you step on the brake pedal, mash the starter button, twist the throttle and go. It's as long as an Electra Glide but you would never guess that based on the way it moves in low speed traffic.

The GTS300 is an awesome machine. Unfortunately, it is priced WAY above a steel tube framed/plastic body machine. It's like $700 more than the bigger Piaggio BV350. $1000 more than the similar size/performance Honda Forza.

Didn't ride any bike for more than 25-30 years, if I ride again then Honda Forza is probably the one.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Didn't Honda sell a 400 or so twin with a 2 speed automatic back in the early 80s?

Yeah the Hondamatic was sold in a 400, a 450, and a really detuned 750 form in the late 70's and early 80's.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Didn't Honda sell a 400 or so twin with a 2 speed automatic back in the early 80s?

Yeah the Hondamatic was sold in a 400, a 450, and a really detuned 750 form in the late 70's and early 80's.

The most famous was probably Prince's CM400A Hondamatic Hawk. Prince couldn't touch the ground without his ummmmm....highly stylized boots and couldn't really shift with them.

Yep, that thing with the huge Vetter Windjammmer was a 400.

But it's not the same as a scooter.

I bet a Forza or a GTS300 would be faster than the CM400A. A Silverwing or Burgman 650 would run away from it

I got my wife a MP3 a few years ago and when we have a group ride and it rains, she can leave us standard bike riders like we were rookies. Been riding bikes for around 50 years now, those two front wheels sure help you out when it rains(helps out to when you run into a corner and find dirt/gravel in the apex of the turn). I must admit it's a hoot to ride, maybe when I get a little older(and less vain) I'll get one for myself.

ROD

Sky, look at the KYMCO line of scooters. The company is from Taiwan. The quality seems to be good with good parts availability in the U.S. A local shop had a Piaggio MP3 scooter in for a repair, and it took a very long time for the parts to come from Italy. Piaggio in the U.S. did not have the part. Vespa and other Italian brands are all part of Gruppo Piaggio.
http://www.piaggiogroup.com/en/brands

BMW hires KYMCO to make two engines for them, the G450x motorcycle engine and the 650 maxi scooter engine which is also used as the range extender engine in the BMW i3 electric car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back