Attacks on the power grid - generator required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Propane is still the best. You cannot store natural gas and they shut it down if they fear fires. Gas cannot be stored in large quantities (practically). Diesel is fine but you need to treat the fuel in the winter if its cold, and some diesel engines run a block heater all winter which you pay for 24x7 all winter.

Maybe a diesel generator with a small propane generator to start running the block heater as soon as power goes out. Then maybe an hour latter, full diesel power.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-MW-Diesel-Ge...=item3a91ef82db

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

So propane is a double edged sword then? Lol.

You mentioned some good points. I was completely oblivious to the BTU's too.

If consumption was that high, I would worry about using up all my fuel and not being able to get more (as you said.) and being without power and heat. Diesel or gas would just be a few towns away at the worst.

A generator that mounts on the back of a tractor seems interesting. I would think it'd be plenty powerful and as my dad says, it'd be one less engine to change the oil on. This goes against BITOG rules though. Lol.

My propane tank holds 400 gallons when full. They have 800 gallon tanks too. I don't think any electricity is needed for the propane trucks to fill and deliver.

Good luck having them make a special trip to your house during an ice storm or other bad weather situation. That was my point.

They do have 24/7 emergency service. It cost more though. Almost everyone around me in the rural parts uses propane for heat.

My goal would be to run a week on my generator. I have a Winco that can run on propane or natural gas. There are also 100 lb tanks that could be used (refilled and brought home).

If a large solar flare hit here are some comments.

Most if not all electric utility transformers are now made in china, China will need transformers too.

There is not enough wild game to support even the heavily armed preppers.

There are plans using the national guard to feed folks and supply fuel to critical infrastructure like hospitals and nursing homes. The plans are extensive, critical infrastructure is first. Partial restoration of power grid for Water, then food and of course banking. Then shelter, sewer medicine etc. If you only knew how many sewage lift pumps there are most cities you would be astounded.

There are not enough trees to keep all the folks in the USA warm. Better hope if one hits it is summer

loss of refrigeration will cost us a lot of food.

Shutdown of refinerys will cause huge disruptions. Fuel prices will have to be regulated for a while or expect gouging.

Transportation will be difficult to impossible.

Loss of the internet will mean you can not access Bob is the Oil Guy. Boredom will hit.

Expect riots in the cities

Energy hog "herb" farms will lose their crop, expect reactions from a lot of stoners.

You better be prepared to defend you solar cells and windmills.

The effects will linger for years. Long term it will be good for us as we shift to a decentralized grid.

I hope one does not hit.

Rod

Originally Posted By: Donald
Propane is still the best. You cannot store natural gas and they shut it down if they fear fires. Gas cannot be stored in large quantities (practically). Diesel is fine but you need to treat the fuel in the winter if its cold, and some diesel engines run a block heater all winter which you pay for 24x7 all winter.

Maybe a diesel generator with a small propane generator to start running the block heater as soon as power goes out. Then maybe an hour latter, full diesel power.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-MW-Diesel-Ge...=item3a91ef82db

Wow, rebuilt railroad locomotive generator configured for 60 HZ generation. Good repurpose of existing stuff.

Air starter, you better have a generator and air compressor to start. These engines can not be allowed to freeze. So you would need tank of unfrozen water and the treatment (they do not normally use antifreeze) to fill before starting. Then oil and engine would need warmed, better be a big generator. to quickly warm the engine and compress air.

They are difficult to start below 40F. Use special oil. Then have to warm to a certain water jacket temp before loading significantly.

Rod

Diesel generators can be operated on Kerosene or Jet-A (with lubricity additive) . Both fuels can have a very long storage life.

This is another option that is not "self evident" to most people.

Propane is a heavy gas, (heavier than air), and if you have ANY propane pipe(s) in any building you should have a gas alarm that constantly checks for leaks (sounds an alarm if propane gas is present). Install such alarm in a low area so it detects the gas as soon as it it present.

You can string hundreds of feet of garden hose, from a gas fired water heater, through out a house and constantly run a trickle of hot water to keep a house warm enough for everyone to survive while wearing winter coats. Not the best emergency heater, but in an emergency situation, you can probably purchase hundreds of feet of garden hose (get the cheap hoses because you will not be running them under any pressure). Most people will not know about using garden hose from a gas fired water heater, so it will not be a sold out item.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back