Ethanol and Carburetors

Status
Not open for further replies.
What detrimental effects does ethanol have on vehicles powered by carburetors? I know that it can be damaging to the soft parts that aren't ethanol compatible.

Is ethanol damaging to carburetors made from zinc or aluminum? I know that ethanol is hydroscopic, so I am not sure how it would affect either material? I have heard some sources saying E10 has no effect and others saying it can cause the materals to break down.

I think 10% or under you are okay. Unless it sits a long time, like more than 3 months. I use marine stabil and an ounce of tcw3 oil in 5 gallons. I have no problems over winter, and i leave my tanks full to keep as much air( aka moisture laden air) away from the fuel as possible.

definitely you cannot leave straight E10 in OPE over the winter or summer for a snowblower... guaranteed clusterbomb when you want to use it.

my ding dong neighbor left it in his snowblower over the summer and the inside of the carb looked like spray on polyurethane

we tried removing the clogged mainjet but the varnish was apparently stronger than the metal because the jet stripped before it moved, and i been soaking it in carb cleaner for an hour before

that being said I have had good luck by using regular e10 gas and dosing it good with seafoam before putting away for the season, i always keep the tank completely full

all my toys started last week without issue

Last edited:
Never use ethanol blended fuel in small engine equipment, heck I don't even use it in my car. Ethanol is a trash fuel that was pushed by a bunch of knuckle head bean counters.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
had to replace the carb on my snowblower. totally ruined by ethanol.

I have used e10 in OPE(that's all we hve here) for 15-20 years and never had a single problem.

our area has E10 for over a quarter of a century now, people (myself incl)been using it from OPE such as mower engines, boat engines to cars, trucks, etc. Never a single issue.

Hexk! my old suzuki engine (1L carb'ed, Metro) was on mostly E10 diet (when you get 87/89, you are getting 10% ethanol in it)for a long, long time. No issues whatsoever.

I came to the conclusion long, long time ago that those who claimed ethanol ruined their carb, must have moisture (in larger quantities, water) in that gas, which will accelerate their deterioration. Those who buy fresh E10 with minimal (or no) moisture and consume them fairly quickly (like within a month or less w/o fuel stabiliser) would be fine.

E10 subject has been beaten to death on BITOG. Search elsewhere for more entertainment factor.

Q.

My toy, a 1968 Buick Gran Sport, sits a LOT and we have had E10 in MA for a very long time. No issues with any part of the fuel system ever.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I used e10 on a 77 Chevy in the 70's while living in Maine. No problems.

I am using e10 in everything that i have. OPE and all the vehicles in my signature including my '80 Firebird w/4bbl...NO ISSUES WITH ANY OF THEM!

We've been using e10 for about 20 years...maybe longer here in NY State!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Corn is for pigs not carburetors or sugar.

Is there any proof that putting corn in gasoline is good for the environment?
Just the opposite, including the vast amount of water needed to grow and process it.

I was more looking to discussing if there are actual corrosive attributes to the fuel on specfic types of metal. I was hoping for something more than anecdotal information. Specifically, I was looking at Holley carburetors. They are available in zinc or aluminum construction. For a low use engine, I just want to know if there was a better material choice.

FWIW, on my seaonsal engines for euipment, I always drain the carburetors and have run E10 without any issues so far.

AS far as use with Holley carbs, I've seen no issues with it- been running and playing with Holley carbs for 15+ years- both in performance and medium duty applications.

There's a Holley on each one of my friend's grain trucks and they are fueled with cheap, on site bulk tank E10. They get the wee run out of them for a few weeks during harvest, then sit until the next fall to do it again.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
I leave E25 (now it is E27) in my motors all the time, sitting or not, since 1980's and had no corrosion problem from ethanol.

I've used E10 in a number of carbureted engines for 30+ years and never had a fuel related issue. That includes vintage tractors, regular vehicles, and both 2 and 4 stroke small engines. I keep Stabil in all my non-automotive fuel, but that's because even non-ethanol gasoline will deteriorate.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Never use ethanol blended fuel in small engine equipment, heck I don't even use it in my car. Ethanol is a trash fuel that was pushed by a bunch of knuckle head bean counters.

That's one of the the most uninformed, farcical comments I've seen in a while.

I think its the off and on usage of engines with carbs now, like OPE and boats. There have been some cards that were recalled because of corrosion issues with the float needle valve and seat.

One of my BIL's works on outboard boat motors and is constantly complaining about ethanol fuels in these motors. Especially with the carb floats being gummed up!

Personally, I don't think that he should be complaining as this is a good portion of his business and making decent money replacing the floats for customers.

Originally Posted By: zpinch

I thought it was pushed by a bunch of do-gooder, know-nothing politicians who don't know jack about economics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back