Apple or Samsung?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're saying Apple has better security? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....
Apple is notoriously the most lax company regarding security, and because it's a closed ecosystem they are extremely secretive about an issues. I'd trust an open-source system over them any day. Even Microsoft would be better.

Last edited:
Apple.

I've got Google drive and everything else Google as apps on my apple devices so you can have both.
I'll never go back to android. Apple makes everything easy.

Originally Posted By: guyonearth
Apple is notoriously the most lax company regarding security, and because it's a closed ecosystem they are extremely secretive about an issues. I'd trust an open-source system over them any day. Even Microsoft would be better.

No offense, but, do you do information security for a living? Judging from your statement, I am guessing not.

This is a bit dated but you should get the idea. https://www.f-secure.com/documents/996508/1030743/Mobile_Threat_Report_Q1_2014.pdf

According to F-Secure, over 99% of new mobile malware are designed for Android. Microsoft is better but that is because they have so few users. Between iOS and Android, iOS is far superior when it comes to security.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

Yours must be a one off then since everyone else I know with Samsungs have had the same issues. All my other phones get treated the same, only used for calls and the odd text ans apparently it's only Samsungs that can't handle it

I've had and been exposed to many samsung devices and never had this issue either.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I definitely see the size difference between the iphone and Samsung. The Iphone 5s would be a downgrade in size from my current phone.

Keep your use and "carry system" in mind here. My previous phone was an Apple iPhone 4s, and I just loved the overall size. Yes, I would have preferred a larger screen; this is one area where I believe Apple can improve: there's a lot of dead real estate in the phone's physical footprint. The 5s was just barely tolerable to me...it's about the same width as a 4s, but it's taller. The 6 was out of consideration for me. Not because of cost, but because of size.

Unfortunately, the smaller phones are not common. The Motorola Droid Mini and the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini are the only iPhone 4-sized Android phones. They sport 4.3" screens vs. Apple's 3.5" screen. I don't like Samsung's TouchWiz skin on Android; I prefer the stock Android experience, so I chose the Motorola.

If you like the Galaxy S5's size, you're in luck, because nearly all phones now are that size. Each brand, however, has its own look-and-feel. Sony, HTC, and Samsung all have their own 'flavor' or skin of Android. Motorolas are pretty much stock Android (especially the Moto X).

Happy shopping!

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
Originally Posted By: guyonearth

No offense, but, do you do information security for a living? Judging from your statement, I am guessing not.

This is a bit dated but you should get the idea. https://www.f-secure.com/documents/996508/1030743/Mobile_Threat_Report_Q1_2014.pdf

According to F-Secure, over 99% of new mobile malware are designed for Android. Microsoft is better but that is because they have so few users. Between iOS and Android, iOS is far superior when it comes to security.

Yes, Android targeted more frequently than iOS for Malware, but that's not the whole story as noted in this article from Symantec:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/symantec/2014/07/24/android-vs-ios-which-is-more-secure/

Originally Posted By: Symantec
But the stats alone don’t tell the full story. After all, it only takes one piece of perfectly formed iOS malware to do as much damage as thousands of copycat Android threats. And both platforms are equally at risk from social engineering, where hackers use more personal methods to target your logins and data.

Another good one from Sophos:
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/security-new...an-android.aspx

This one has an interesting piece of data in it:
http://www.eweek.com/security/android-vs.-ios-security-comparisons-get-complicated.html

Quote:
In terms of vulnerabilities, the five-year track records of the two platforms are similar. Researchers have discovered 325 vulnerabilities in the Android operating system since 2010 and 185 in iOS, according to data from the National Vulnerability Database. Serious vulnerabilities have been found in both mobile operating systems. In 2012, for example, researchers hacked an Android device using the wireless Near-Field Communication (NFC) protocol, while hackers at a similar competition showed in 2013 a way to steal passwords from an iOS device.

The latest flaw in Android, dubbed the "Fake ID" vulnerability by Bluebox, allows developers to create applications that appear to come from a different, trusted developer. Because some programs on Android devices have hard-coded and higher-level access to the system, masquerading as applications from the same developer can give attackers complete access to the device.
The rough similarity in vulnerability data has not translated to similar chances of attack. Almost all criminal attacks of opportunity focus on Android, according to mobile-security firm Lacoon. Yet targeted attacks, which focus on stealing intellectual property and data, do impact Apple's mobile operating system, according to Lacoon's CEO Michael Shaulov.
By mining traffic collected by a large network provider, the company found that about 3 percent of devices show signs of malware infection. Among those devices infected with more advanced data-stealing and remote-access Trojans, 43 percent of the consumer devices ran Apple's iOS, while 10 percent of infected corporate devices ran Apple's mobile operating system.
"This shows that, first of all, you still have an exposure with iOS in the corporate environment," Shaulov said. "But the fact that you have additional defenses in the enterprise helps reduce the exposure."

And yet another:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2364840/r...-the-other.html

Quote:
Apple’s tight vetting of mobile applications gives it a security edge over Android, but there are still several ways for attackers to steal data from iOS devices, a mobile security company warned in a report Tuesday.

The report looked at the risk factors facing users of the platforms, concluding that enterprises still face data breach risks regardless of the platform used.

“Neither iOS nor Android is inherently more secure than the other,” according to Marble Security. “The risks to enterprises allowing employees to bring in their own devices, whether iOS or Android-based, are not that dissimilar.”

For iOS users who haven’t jailbroken their devices, the only source of applications is the App Store, which Apple closely monitors for potentially malicious applications. But Android users have a choice of many marketplaces outside of Google’s Play store which may not analyze applications for bad behavior, the report said.

Apple has another small advantage in that iOS has much less “fragmentation,” or a multitude of versions and configurations of its operating system. In contrast, Android is heavily fragmented: Marble Security counted 11,868 types of devices that run myriad versions of Android.

Those Android versions “may have security vulnerabilities, old patch levels, insecure configurations or unsecured apps installed from the factory,” the report said.

The way into the ‘walled garden’
Still, there are a couple of avenues into the “walled garden” of iOS, it said. For example, an application not from the App Store can be installed on a non-jailbroken device using TestFlight, which is a platform for distributing beta apps to select user groups.

“While Android devices can more easily obtain apps from non-vetted sites, there are many ways for iOS apps to also get onto devices, which spells trouble for the enterprise,” Marble said.

iOS faces risks from mobile device management configurations, which can be delivered via a website. That kind of attack would require using social engineering to lure someone to a website and convincing the person to install a malicious configuration, the report said.

But “if that user installs a hostile configuration profile, then the enterprise is at risk for intercepted traffic, fake app installation, sophisticated phishing and APTs (advanced persistent threats),” Marble said. “We have seen many tactics used to deceive users to install these profiles.”

Ultimately my opinion on the matter is to treat both as security risks and educate the end user as best as you can. Both are exploitable.

This blog touches on that and aligns well with my thoughts on the matter:
https://bluebox.com/business/ios-vs-android-which-is-more-secure/

Indeed OVERKILL, hence my original statement that guyonearth must have ignored, "All phones are vulnerable to some sort of attack but you will be hard pressed to find an iOS attack that does not involve significant involvement from the user."

BTW, that Symantec quote is funny because in the same article they state "There’s no doubt that Android offers a bit more of a Wild West environment than iOS." and "While there are drawbacks to Apple’s tight grip over everything that occurs on its OS, there’s no doubt it makes for a more secure environment for casual users."

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
Indeed OVERKILL, hence my original statement that guyonearth must have ignored, "All phones are vulnerable to some sort of attack but you will be hard pressed to find an iOS attack that does not involve significant involvement from the user."

BTW, that Symantec quote is funny because in the same article they state "There’s no doubt that Android offers a bit more of a Wild West environment than iOS." and "While there are drawbacks to Apple’s tight grip over everything that occurs on its OS, there’s no doubt it makes for a more secure environment for casual users."

Yes, I found that amusingly contradictory as well
grin.gif

Got 2 cheaper Samsung phones, one for the mother and one for my sister, both were unuseable within 2 months.

Runs in the family.. "it's all psychosomatic, Doctor"

Wake me up when Apple fixes their BT protocol they intentionally mangled, so I can run Torque Pro on Apple products. Add a removable battery to the wishlist, please

Call me a troglodyte, but my fave to the day is my Nokia E71 - the best communicator I ever had and I buy and sell a lot of them trying to find an ideal one. Another antique - a Galaxy S (Captivate) is still running very strong. Apple 4S was my favorite iPhone for a long period of time.. but nothing beats Nokia E71 for my business needs.

Loved my E71 back in the day, but I would have a hard time going back to one... Lots of love for the Nokia phones right on through today... I'm having a hard time with Nokia (now Microsoft :() being tied to an arguably dying operating system.

Originally Posted By: Y_K

Wake me up when Apple fixes their BT protocol they intentionally mangled, so I can run Torque Pro on Apple products. Add a removable battery to the wishlist, please.

Apple didn't mangle anything in the BT protocol. They didn't include the SPP profile.

You could use Torque Pro (excellent app BTW) if the developer would port to iOS and support WiFi OBD2 Dongles...

As far as removable battery - why? Just plug the phone into your computer to charge - the one you spend 8+ hours in front of.
smile.gif
iPhone battery replacements are so simple there are kiosks in the mall that do it.

I'm not an Apple fanboy. However, my iPhone 5s (mandatory work phone) is a very good phone. It does everything, and it does it well. It's been my most trouble free phone ever.

I even like the size, as it fits in my shirt pockets. I simply don't need a monster phone.

Choose the ecosystem that you sync with the best. Also check out Hokiefyd's thread. It is one of the most unbiased, detailed comparison's I've seen.

Just a few other notes:

The security issues for Android are overblown if you get anything above Android 4.4, which you will if you get a new phone. Jellybean (4.3) and below are much less secure, but I suspect you don't intend to buy a three year old phone.

Here are some stats on security vulnerabilities across different operating systems:
Most vulnerable operating systems for 2014

Notice that OSX and iOS have the most vulnerabilities followed by Linux. While Android is not listed, it is Linux based so it is safe to assume you can lump it in there. Basically, for the most recent generations of these OSs, you can just flip a coin.

As for crash rates and random reboots, both Android 5.0 and iOS 8.xx have their problems. There are long threads on both Apple support communities and Android forums about crashing and rebooting. There are also stats that show that the latest Android is slightly less crash prone, but the differences are small. So pick your poison.

I agree that Samsung phones are not durable. I have owned several and they all had problems with charging after a while. My Motorola phones, however, have been bulletproof. I abuse them and my 1st generation Moto X (purchased over 1.5 years ago) still looks and runs like new.

I did read that useful and informative thread.

I hear a lot of comments like Cujets about the Iphones. They just work and realtively trouble free. I am not a technophobe, so in that sense, Android doesn't bother me being a bit more open / customizable.

Also hearing loud and clear to take a look at the Motorola phones, if not a few other brands. The Moto X second gen is now an option being considered.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Apple didn't mangle anything in the BT protocol. They didn't include the SPP profile.

Thank you for the clarification: they castrated the protocol

I hear a lot of comments like Cujets about the Iphones. They just work and realtively trouble free. I am not a technophobe, so in that sense, Android doesn't bother me being a bit more open / customizable.

For the most part, iPhones do just work. They have high build and material quality and are a great option. My biggest frustration with Apple wasn't the hardware, but the software. I will raise my hand and say that if iOS let me choose default apps (like making Gmail the default mail client, making Chrome the default browser, and making Google Maps the default navigation app), I'd have bought an iPhone 5s instead of a Motorola Droid Mini. The lack of being able to choose what I want the system to run is what pushed me away. Apple's apps work well enough, but I like other apps better, and I should be able to choose.

Also hearing loud and clear to take a look at the Motorola phones, if not a few other brands. The Moto X second gen is now an option being considered.

Motorola used to be owned by Google. They're not anymore, but when many of the current Droid lineup was released or designed, Motorola was a Google company, so the Motorola phones have a very stock Android experience, which I really enjoy. I don't like "skins" on Android, and that pretty much cuts HTC, Samsung, and Sony out of the running. I looked at the original Moto X, and it was JUST on the cusp of being too big for me. Unfortunately for me, the 2nd generation Moto X is larger still, so it's out. That left the Droid Mini as the only choice for me (I started with a Droid Maxx, but it was too big).

I really hope that Motorola chooses to replace the Droid Mini with a Moto X Mini or something similar. I judge a phone's size by its total diagonal length, and it's got to be darn near 5" for it to be comfortable for me. The Droid Mini's about 5.3", which is workable. Besides the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, the Droid Mini is the smallest Android-powered phone by a somewhat wide margin.

While I don't write code, I am technically savvy. I enjoy modern technology and all that it offers. I manage a flying electronic network with some seriously complex electronics.

Apple products are not the right choice for my line of work. However, as a phone, the iPhone 5s 64g has serious computing power, just like my "big boy toys" . And the incredibly large number of stable apps makes it a great choice. Some will claim the iPhone is a limited or restricted product. I disagree. It will do anything you ask of it. Just download the proper app!

We even use the iPhones to "actively" track flights. No, not via a web service, but using the internal GPS, compass, speed time and distance computations etc. It's far better than online aircraft tracking. With very high track resolution. (in other words, the phone in my pocket tracks every aspect about my flight, then uploads it to a server) Pretty darn cool!

Have an Iphone issued at work for a few years, and have had two updates wipe the stupid thing...updates and battery life seem to swing randomly.

Wife has a Samsung S3...it's great, never had a problem in over a year.

Bought myself a mobile this time last year, a prepaid sim, and a cheapie Samsung dual sim thing for our US trip...my Sim in one slot, and a local sim in the other. Worked great, again...not so smart of a phone (for $80) but served that role perfectly, and allowed a spare battery to be carried while we were travelling.

Swapped it for a Kogan Agora 4G+ around Christmas time, and am a fan of it.

Android will give the third world their first computers through smart phones...Apple will recycle old customers and their offspring.

What razors and toothpaste did your parents use ?

What do you use now ?

Why do people get rid of year old apple to be the first with brand new apple ?

First off I currently have neither but from past experience having owned both Galaxies and other Samsung phones and Apple products as well I can say I'd go for Apple every time.
Every single Samsung device I've ever owned, tablets or phones (probably 10 - 15) has always become unbearably slow after a few months of owning them. Same with everyone else I know that has them too. I'm honestly surprised people are still buying their stuff! My old man has a Galaxy S5 and that is already garbage!
Yet every Apple product I've bought that hasn't been accidentally destroyed, is still going with the same performance as when I bought it. In fact I'm sending this from a 4 year old iPod touch that has been used for hours every day since I bought it!
Go figure but it's a no brainer for me!

Hmmm you must have bad luck my friend my s5 is outstanding from day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back