China buying Pirelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Pirelli's for $200 less than the comparable Michelin's and they are fantastic - as the comparative reviews suggested they would be. Better warranty as well.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
P4 has been outstanding for business on towncars in my case. Nothing is indispensable though.

And when I had my Town Car, finding anything Pirelli locally, and to fit, was rather difficult. Go figure. I see the size for my Town Car, if I still owned it, would be $114 a tire from Canadian Tire, which, ironically, isn't know for their tire selection or tire pricing. So, that's a reasonable price for a decent tire, and I could probably find it cheaper.

Oh well, times change.

So many of you are talking out your a55 when it comes to China. I sell US manufactured products in China. I travel there 3-4 times a year, for 2-4 weeks each trip. Now what I sell them is not even a thimble in the overall balance of trade (between $1M-$2M a year), but I can tell you this.

Chinese people LOVE American made products. To them, USA means quality. Yes we get knocked off, but the Chinese consumer doesn't want to buy the knockoff, only stupid Americans do that. They will pay more for the real deal. You take every American company that you know of, every store you see in your local mall, they are ALL doing business in China because the Chinese middle class is poised to explode. Want Papa Johns pizza? Need to find a 7-11? Apple store? All there.

The Chinese people are rebelling against their pollution and unsafe food practices in a big big way. It's going to change without our help.

Yes there is graft in China but the latest administration (in China) is going after that. They are going after intellectual property claims in a big way. How do I know this? Yes, the are helping me and the company I work for. It's not a whole lot different then the US politicians giving a foreign factory $$$$ in tax credits, then getting the giant campaign contribution (and another contract deal)in return. It truly isnt that much different from doing business here. And you know what? I get knocked off doing business in the US too. Good products spawn imitators.

Lastly, the Chinese people are warm and welcoming to Americans. When I travel alone there are scores of people who go out of their way to help me, sometimes whether I want it or not lol.

Yes, it's a different world out there. Their habits and customs are polar opposites then ours at times, but slamming them for just being Chinese is stupid. And I was one of those people once too, I just am fortunate to get to see the real China. I've seen factories with dirt floors and I've seen high tech that puts other places I've traveled to shame.

To bash them for being Chinese is ignorant. Our own backyard, and buying habits have just as many warts. It's a global economy whether you like it or not. You want to blame someone for the Chinese selling sheet products here, blame the greedy corporate boardrooms in this world as they line their pockets, and blame your fellow consumers for buying on price alone.

Rant off....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c502cid
So many of you are talking out your a55 when it comes to China. I sell US manufactured products in China. I travel there 3-4 times a year, for 2-4 weeks each trip. Now what I sell them is not even a thimble in the overall balance of trade (between $1M-$2M a year), but I can tell you this.

Chinese people LOVE American made products. To them, USA means quality. Yes we get knocked off, but the Chinese consumer doesn't want to buy the knockoff, only stupid Americans do that. They will pay more for the real deal. You take every American company that you know of, every store you see in your local mall, they are ALL doing business in China because the Chinese middle class is poised to explode. Want Papa Johns pizza? Need to find a 7-11? Apple store? All there.

The Chinese people are rebelling against their pollution and unsafe food practices in a big big way. It's going to change without our help.

Yes there is graft in China but the latest administration (in China) is going after that. They are going after intellectual property claims in a big way. How do I know this? Yes, the are helping me and the company I work for. It's not a whole lot different then the US politicians giving a foreign factory $$$$ in tax credits, then getting the giant campaign contribution (and another contract deal)in return. It truly isnt that much different from doing business here. And you know what? I get knocked off doing business in the US too. Good products spawn imitators.

Lastly, the Chinese people are warm and welcoming to Americans. When I travel alone there are scores of people who go out of their way to help me, sometimes whether I want it or not lol.

Yes, it's a different world out there. Their habits and customs are polar opposites then ours at times, but slamming them for just being Chinese is stupid. And I was one of those people once too, I just am fortunate to get to see the real China. I've seen factories with dirt floors and I've seen high tech that puts other places I've traveled to shame.

To bash them for being Chinese is ignorant. Our own backyard, and buying habits have just as many warts. It's a global economy whether you like it or not. You want to blame someone for the Chinese selling sheet products here, blame the greedy corporate boardrooms in this world as they line their pockets, and blame your fellow consumers for buying on price alone.

Rant off....

Well put from someone with personal knowledge.

Remember folks, we're all in this together.

Originally Posted By: c502cid

Rant off....

Well said. It's a global economy. You have your choice in what you buy, so do your fellow consumers, so do Chinese consumers.

And China is doing a remarkable job modernizing it's country. And I suspect they are going to do a better job of tackling the environmental problems that come along with that.

They don't have people who deny the problem nor corporations that have so much power they shape regulations and get away with poor practices.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Remember folks, we're all in this together.

Agreed, but there are some valid concerns. We don't want to outsource everything, but it's not fair to ostracize another country just because it's not EU/NAFTA/whatever. We don't want "Chinese junk" but I have no problem with a properly made product, regardless of origin - Chinese quality trumps Canadian junk.

As a humorous aside, the only time I got food poisoning in my life is when I went to a Chinese restaurant operated by white people.
wink.gif

If China had to follow our regs, they wouldn't be cheaper. A good friend, in supplier development for a major company was checking the acid etching process for oil pump gears in China, and it was 2 guys with a hose in the bathroom with the acid going down the drain!

That's certainly true. We can't look too badly upon that. Yes, we know better, but it wasn't all that long ago that we did not, or at least didn't regulate better.

The procedures in the chemistry lab in my underground years were no better, with ridiculously concentrated hydrochloric and sulphuric acids just being flushed down the drain with water.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Based on there being 1.3 billion Chinese, I don't see any indication they are producing quality rubber products.

hotwheels

Now THAT is funny!
thumbsup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Traction
If China had to follow our regs, they wouldn't be cheaper. A good friend, in supplier development for a major company was checking the acid etching process for oil pump gears in China, and it was 2 guys with a hose in the bathroom with the acid going down the drain!

And this applies to foreign owned companies contracting out to these
Chineseium factories. When they aren't contaminating their environment they are causing their employees to commit suicide, like at the FoxConn plant that supplies Apple. Speaking of which the new iPhone6 is a raging piece of cow pile, with poorly manufactured trim and body components, poor hardware, and defective screens and it isn't just a few pieces it is literally large production runs coming out this way.

China is an enemy and we are NOT all in this together. They are responsible for the loss of tens of millions if not hundreds of millions of formerly middle class manufacturing jobs lost in the USA, and Canada...but the residual jobs that come with that manufacturing base.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
China is an enemy and we are NOT all in this together. They are responsible for the loss of tens of millions if not hundreds of millions of formerly middle class manufacturing jobs lost in the USA, and Canada...but the residual jobs that come with that manufacturing base.

If they are our enemy then why we do business with them ?

In auto industry, GM, Ford and Chrysler are selling many vehicles there, we export many agriculture products to China.

Pirelli will stay to be top product. They are top tyre brand for supercars and real sports cars.
Chinese know that top products like OEM for Ferrari, Alfa, McLaren and others can't be made and developed in China.
Their lesser products probably will be made in China, but that doesn't necessarily means quality will change.
I had (and still own) plenty of Chinese made electronics like Samsung mobile phones and have no complaints.
I agree that cheap brands are [censored], but with Pirelli they acquired knowhow and great reputation and premium market end.
Chinese are not stupid, they will not gamble with that.

To those who think they neither buy or own Chinese merchandise are either lying to others or to themselves.

Hey don't justify your buying habits by accusing others of buying their garbage and claiming they are lying.
Their products can be avoided. I go out of my way to avoid anything and everything they make. No my PC is not made in China, neither is my TV, my stove/cook top, fridge and certainly not my clothes.
The rule in my house is check the COO and if its China it stays out. Its that simple.
If i cant get a first world equivalent i go without or in the case of the iphone go back to old Finnish made Nokia. The next phone will be a US made Motorola.

A global economy can only really exist on a level playing field. IMHO anyone loving China and their people so much should go there and stay there.
The funny thing is these people who talk about workers rights, higher pay and everyone should have a fair shot and god knows what other garbage are the first ones running to Walmart and Horror Freight to by cheap junk from China. Hypocrites.

Originally Posted By: Trav
To those who think they neither buy or own Chinese merchandise are either lying to others or to themselves.

Hey don't justify your buying habits by accusing others of buying their garbage and claiming they are lying.
Their products can be avoided. I go out of my way to avoid anything and everything they make. No my PC is not made in China, neither is my TV, my stove/cook top, fridge and certainly not my clothes.
The rule in my house is check the COO and if its China it stays out. Its that simple.
If i cant get a first world equivalent i go without or in the case of the iphone go back to old Finnish made Nokia. The next phone will be a US made Motorola.

A global economy can only really exist on a level playing field. IMHO anyone loving China and their people so much should go there and stay there.
The funny thing is these people who talk about workers rights, higher pay and everyone should have a fair shot and god knows what other garbage are the first ones running to Walmart and Horror Freight to by cheap junk from China. Hypocrites.

Right or wrong that is an opinion!

Originally Posted By: Trav

Own any leather products, shoes, belts, etc.? Likely made here with leather processed and tanned in china. Electronics?? Likely made here with Chinese components. No getting around it in todays world.

Did you check where all your wall outlets and switches came from? If not China likely Mexico.

One more example, own an RV? Brand makes little to no difference.

Where do you think the majority of the components come from, just take a wild guess. LOL

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Y_K
P4 has been outstanding for business on towncars in my case. Nothing is indispensable though.

And when I had my Town Car, finding anything Pirelli locally, and to fit, was rather difficult. Go figure. I see the size for my Town Car, if I still owned it, would be $114 a tire from Canadian Tire, which, ironically, isn't know for their tire selection or tire pricing. So, that's a reasonable price for a decent tire, and I could probably find it cheaper.

Oh well, times change.
Yup, try to find a Michelin TRX tire today.

Originally Posted By: Evanson
They don't have people who deny the problem nor corporations that have so much power they shape regulations and get away with poor practices.

It does not get any bigger than companies owned by government. And biggest of them all are companies owned by military or secret police.

Krzys

One more example, own an RV? Brand makes little to no difference.

Where do you think the majority of the components come from, just take a wild guess. LOL

I'm just picturing someone building their own PC, unable to complete it because they refuse to buy some components from China.

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back