Pad and rotor suggestions for 2013 accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dernp
Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Looking to help a family member. The oem pads and rotors stink. Looking at centric premium rotors. Pad are my unknown. Looking for reasonable dust levels but good stoping power. Don't need to be super cheap, but not out of sight in terms of price.

Looking at centric pads in ceramic. Any other thoughts?

These brakes need to be serviced once a year especially in the rust belt.

Serviced how?

The Accords brakes do no last for [censored]. On my 2010 the rotor were toast with 15K on the car, Honda took care of it, another 15K later same problem. Rear pads were gone at 40K and fronts not to far behind so I replaced everything with a pad and rotor kit from Rock Auto and never a problem again and I just traded the car in with 80K.

Many people have had the same issues so it is not just me "beating the [censored] out of my cars."

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Originally Posted By: dernp
Looking to help a family member. The oem pads and rotors stink. Looking at centric premium rotors. Pad are my unknown. Looking for reasonable dust levels but good stoping power. Don't need to be super cheap, but not out of sight in terms of price.

Looking at centric pads in ceramic. Any other thoughts?

These brakes need to be serviced once a year especially in the rust belt.

Serviced how?

It is a recommended service on the MM.

To service them just take the pads off and clean and re-lube with anti-seize. Pull out the caliper slides and re-lube with silicon brake lube.

Akebono makes a great pad, Centric does also and have used them both with great success. I no longer gamble on lower quality pads,eliminating warping issues and short pad life. Centric and Raybestos rotors have worked well for me in the past.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: bvance554
What stinks about the OEM rotors? I'd rather keep them instead of replacing with an aftermarket rotor unless they were damaged. Only time I ever had trouble with a rotor was after I replaced an OEM with an aftermarket rotor.

+1

Exactly. If you really want to help them, give them a driving lesson.

Known issue on a variety of honda cars, from what I heave heard. Even my '14 is starting to get some pulsing, and I drive almost all highway. I'm going to see what honda says, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll probably bite the bullet and get a decent set of pads and rotors myself, before too long.

Thanks for the help. Definitely going with the centric rotors. Need to see what I can find in terms of pads. Guess this will also help for my eventual brake replacement as well!

Known issue on a variety of honda cars, from what I heave heard. Even my '14 is starting to get some pulsing, and I drive almost all highway. I'm going to see what honda says, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll probably bite the bullet and get a decent set of pads and rotors myself, before too long.

Thanks for the help. Definitely going with the centric rotors. Need to see what I can find in terms of pads. Guess this will also help for my eventual brake replacement as well!

My daughter '14 Accord LX brake system seems to be okay. I drove her car last week and didn't feel any inadequate braking performance.

One of the fastest wearing front OEM brake was my 2000 E430, it lasted only 10k miles. Probably my wife rode the brake more than should be. Aftermarket front pads on average lasted about 16-20k miles.

^^^^^ agreed
since 7K I've had brake pedal pulsations in my 04 Accord. Under warranty, Honda will resurface the rotor for you--usually on the car, but that's it.
My fronts lasted 142K, and the rear (drums) are still original @ 218K.
Getting ready to replace all 4 corners in a couple of weeks; I've had good luck with the Duralast Gold Ceramic from AZ. I tried a set of Wagner TQ, and 2K later I removed them and threw 'em in the trash--absolutely awful product IMO--obviously, some folks disagree.
I have heard the brake pedal pulsing is actually brake pad material buildup on the rotor, not a warped rotor--and I tend to believe it. Pulsing usually goes away for awhile after driving in the rain. This time I am going for slotted & drilled front rotors from Peps---they are not much more than high quality rotors. Pads will prolly be the AZ Duralast again

Steve...thanks for the comments. I tend to believe it might be pad material on my 14. It's just started recently. If I get the opportunity to do a hard stop it SEEMS to get better for a bit. I've heard honda will turn them. Crummy solution. I'll probably live with it for a while and do my brakes as well. My only real disappointment with an otherwise fine car.

The new Raybestos EHT pads are GG-rated for this application. They might be worth a shot for $30/set.

I just ordered 6 sets of them for various applications (including a 2011 Accord) and will report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back