ATE Super Blue Racing Dot4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cleaning out a storage area and I found two 1 liter metal cans unopened and I was going to use but found out the DOT banned this stuff and ATE will buy it back but I can remember how much I paid. I know I got it from Performance Products several years ago. What to do? If they want to replace what is their best DOT 4 brake fluid now. It will go into a Fiat 500 Abarth or a Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle Deuce.

Use it. The only reason it was pulled from the market is blue is not an approved color for brake fluid. Personally, I like the idea of alternating colors to ensure proper flushing.

Ironically, you could probably get more for it from an enthusiast than you would from ATE in the first place.
wink.gif

How old is it (can you read/decipher the codes printed on the bottom of the cans)??

Their Typ 200 gold is the same exact specs as the Blue (I'm flushing my brake system out using the Typ 200 tomorrow
wink.gif
).

Yeah, the blue stuff is not exactly banned but ATE is apparently not allowed to sell it in the US anymore. Apparently the Dept of Transportation can tell a company what colors brake fluid can be in this country. Anyway, I love the stuff but now I have to buy it from Ebay sellers in Europe. I'll buy yours from you if you don't mind shipping it to me. The guys in my Saab club like it.

Hypothetically, I wonder if they'd be able to sell it if they called it racing brake fluid, off road brake fluid, or some such thing, and got rid of any DOT wording, since that's what seems to have gotten them into trouble.

^^^No, it was the color ONLY, since all of the other racing DOT 4/4+ companies are allowed to use "DOT 4" on their labels/copy, even for fluids that are TOTALLY not miscible with ANY other DOT 4 fluids (like; AP Racing 660, Wilwood 600+, etc., and some say even Castrol React SRF).
These are all various shades of yellow/light amber/clear.

Apparently, they were afraid that the color would confuse consumers, and techs into pouring the wrong fluid into the right component.
Or at least that was the excuse/rationale they gave for the ban.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^No, it was the color ONLY, since all of the other racing DOT 4/4+ companies are allowed to use "DOT 4" on their labels/copy,
-snip-
Apparently, they were afraid that the color would confuse consumers, and techs into pouring the wrong fluid into the right component.
Or at least that was the excuse/rationale they gave for the ban.

The law about brake fluid, FMVSS 116, has been around since 1972, so it predates Super Blue by a wide margin. It's also the only automotive fluid directly regulated by the government/DOT.

non-silicone DOT 3/4/5.1 clear or amber
silicone DOT 5 purple (defined as at least 70% silicone)
mineral oil (LHM, CHF, etc) green

Mixing DOT 5 silicone with regular 3/4/5.1 WILL cause damage! The whole solution will turn to a thick goo. And mineral oil can't be mixed with brake fluid, either.

The clear/amber color gets black as the fluid absorbs moisture.

The standard also specifies viscosity limits, and compatibility with materials commonly used in brake systems.

The fluids don't have to be miscible with *each other*, they just have to compatible with the seals and components in the system.

The racing fluids you mention all meet the standard on paper and comply with FMVSS 116 as written. Although the SRF seems to react with magnesium, making it inappropriate for Z06's. They should recall SRF!

Super Blue said DOT 4 on the can even though it didn't comply with FMVSS 116. They're also NOT allowed to say "meets DOT 4 except the color" or "complies with FMVSS116 except the color requirement". However they could say "meets SAE J1703/J1704 except the color" because the SAE is a private organization and not the government.

I do wish they'd ban BLACK brake fluid though!

So, they (Ate) ARE allowed to say that the Typ 200 is a legal, official, DOT 4, even with "racing" mentioned/suggested on the can, since it meets the FMVSS 116 COLOR standard, correct??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
So, they (Ate) ARE allowed to say that the Typ 200 is a legal, official, DOT 4, even with "racing" mentioned/suggested on the can, since it meets the FMVSS 116 COLOR standard, correct??

Correct. Yes, the Typ 200 is allowed to mention DOT 4.

It doesn't matter whether racing is mentioned or not, as long as it has the correct color and properties required by the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back