Does anyone like the 2013+ Nissan Altima 2.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yeah, this is what the Camry always was! And, they weren't that bad! Just not a good a the other entries in it's category in driving dynamics. I don't think that the new gen Altima is quite this way but, a real test drive will tell!

Camry must be a poor car-that's why Toyota has sold a ton of new Camrys and their total vehicle sales were up 13% last month.

http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/sales-financial/releases/

It seems like it is like a Nissan of the 90's still. Always a cut below its competitors in both price,feel and build quality.

Just to be clear, the Camry comparison is Char Baby's, not mine. :p The only Camry I've driven was a 2010 hybrid, so not a good comparison -- though, if I had to pick, I'd take the Camry in a heartbeat.

I rented one about 2 years ago. It was the 2014 model. I hated the CVT in it. Everything else was relatively OK given this segment.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
It seems like it is like a Nissan of the 90's still. Always a cut below its competitors in both price,feel and build quality.

I like Nissans from the 1990s a lot more than I like Nissans now.

They are garbage. Poor mans Infiniti which also costs an arm and a leg to maintain. Go Honda or TOYOTA if you want a Japanese car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yeah, this is what the Camry always was! And, they weren't that bad! Just not a good a the other entries in it's category in driving dynamics. I don't think that the new gen Altima is quite this way but, a real test drive will tell!

Camry must be a poor car-that's why Toyota has sold a ton of new Camrys and their total vehicle sales were up 13% last month.

http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/sales-financial/releases/
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Just to be clear, the Camry comparison is Char Baby's, not mine. :p The only Camry I've driven was a 2010 hybrid, so not a good comparison -- though, if I had to pick, I'd take the Camry in a heartbeat.

Hey listen guys, I like the Camry!
smile.gif

I've had two of them and am considering a 3rd for my next car to replace the current Altima in signature.

But, having said that, I like the other car manufacturers offering too! And given that I've owned Camry's, Accord's, Altima's and numerous domestics as well, it's nice to have a choice this good with all cars have a slightly different character!

My next choice in vehicle will be "detail" dependent! It's all in what fits my needs NOW! And my aging back!
laugh.gif
Amongst many other things as well!

This topic also fit in with another current topic:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3676314/3

Last edited:
I think pretty much any Nissan with the 2.5 and CVT is going to be hit or miss. My ex had a 4th gen (2010) and 5th gen (2013), not to mention the countless 4th gen rentals I have experienced. They all drove differently because of that silly CVT transmission, some would run like wet cats when you needed some speed and a few were just downright slow. Most memorable experience was when I was beat down a Texas onramp by a mid-90's 4 banger Toyota Tacoma after I hammered it off the line in a '11 Altima 2.5.

Will say my ex never had any real issues with either of his company provided Altima's, although they were both traded by ~50k miles each so well before the CVT could blow itself to bits. Great mileage in both and they both drove and rode nice.

Avoid the 2013, they have an issue with a rattle/shudder at low loads, the lugging of the CVT causes the accessory belt to slap around and rattle/shudder under certain driving conditions and last I know Nissan never really had a solution to the problem but managed to fix it for 2014+. Never caused any issues on my ex's '13 but it was obnoxious when it would rattle.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I rented one about 2 years ago. It was the 2014 model. I hated the CVT in it. Everything else was relatively OK given this segment.

Camrys have been poordrivers in the recent past too.

Japanses car?

ALL Honda, Toyota and Altima are AMERICAN made cars.

This Fit is now Mexican junk too - not that it was that good as Hondas last imported Japanese car.

BTW I test drove a newish base Sentra before "mistakenly" buying the Versa Note ( as a trade for my dying Japanese Honda Fit of 2 years). Driving dynamics and ride are excellent - 1.8L engine and trans (manual) terrible. Had same second gear mystery gate that RACIN complained about (as an owner) - so I passed. Nice room and finish though in the sentra - HUGE back seat for 2 kid family NOT in the snow belt.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Japanses car?

This Fit is now Mexican junk too - not that it was that good as Hondas last imported Japanese car.

BTW I test drove a newish base Sentra before "mistakenly" buying the Versa Note ( as a trade for my dying Japanese Honda Fit of 2 years). Driving dynamics and ride are excellent - 1.8L engine and trans (manual) terrible. Had same second gear mystery gate that RACIN complained about (as an owner) - so I passed. Nice room and finish though in the sentra - HUGE back seat for 2 kid family NOT in the snow belt.

OK-Let's clarify your views Sir-Is every car manufactured in Mexico junk? Would that include my 2011 Silverado that's made in Mexico as well?

I am not a Nissan Hater. I own a 2001 Sentra with the SR20DE entine. One of the finest engines ever made. 140K miles andrunning with almost no oil consumption. It will never die.

The QR engine was the replacement for the SR20. In my opinion it was designed wrong from the start. Rod length to stroke ratio was too low. This is done for economic reasons. This results in higher piston speeds, faster reversls and more piston/ring wear. Predictably the birds came home to roost. Nissan had to redesign rings (probably more than once). Engines failed left and right and consumed oil.

The engine (IMHO) is flawed. I woulldn't own one. The fact that they didn't scrap the design in 13 years says something to me).

I think Altima is a good vehicle. But there are better competers out there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have one.
The styling is too generic and the mechnanicals too indifferent in quality and durability.
Even back in the day, when Nissan was Datsun, they made a number of weird cars, but they also made a few really good ones.
The original 510 was a cut-price BMW 1600, complete with IRS, while the 1970-1978 Z makes the current sumo-class Z look like a joke, if a speedy one.
The only impressive current product is the GT-R, which is Godzilla on steroids fast despite its massive weight and will also protect the driver from his own ineptness pretty well.
It's about as affordable as any used Ferarri.
Not much to like or admire from Renault, I mean Nissan, these days, or at least not to me.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Japanses car?

OK-Let's clarify your views Sir-Is every car manufactured in Mexico junk? Would that include my 2011 Silverado that's made in Mexico as well?

No. My Contour wasn't too bad.

Your silverado is made in Mexico?! I didnt know GM had that "Ford" way about them. FAUX American cars.

19k miles with a 2.5L and a CVT and no issues.

Your "Japanese" Toyota is made one hour south of here in Kentucky; your "Japanese" Honda, one hour north in Marysville.

I've owned Acuras, Hondas, Mazdas, and Toyotas.

They, along with BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Subaru, GM, Ford, Dodge, etc., all have their problems to one degree or another. Some owners are less willing to admit to their car problems than others.

My ride us just that: a ride. I don't live in it nor do I work in it. It's been reliable transportation thus far and it gives me 28-30 mpg around town and as high as 41 mpg (once) on the highway.

I, in return, give it an interior and exterior detailing twice a year, really good motor oil and a good oil filter, and then focus on more important things in life.

We test drove one, stuff we liked...

- great fuel efficiency
- eerily smooth ride, extraordinarily comfortable seats
- budget spec model didn't feel like a budget spec model (features, finishes, etc)

My sister in law has a new one with a V6. I like it a lot. One of the things I really appreciate is that they got rid of the Orange illumination.

I used to rent them frequently with the 4 cyl CVT. I always thought they were decent cars. I preferred driving them over most of the other options.

My brother had an '07 4cyl w/ CVT that he put about 100k on over three years without any problems. No highway trips, all local driving all day, 5 days a week.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
We test drove one, stuff we liked...

- great fuel efficiency
- eerily smooth ride, extraordinarily comfortable seats
- budget spec model didn't feel like a budget spec model (features, finishes, etc)

Any dislikes?

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who said something positive about the car. As odd as it sounds, it's nice to know my experience wasn't typical. That's easier to deal with than thinking that Nissan intentionally made a bad car. :p

It's too bad that Nissan has changed(too much) the Altima's driving character & dynamics. The Altima has been one of my favorite midsize cars in it's category since it's redesign in 2002(3rd Gen) and onward to 2012.

But until I actually drive(thoroughly) the latest(5th Gen) Altima, I won't add fuel to the fire. I really want to like the 5G Altima and I do like it style/design. It could actually be the perfect car for me in terms of it new dynamics as I absolutely love my '04(but, she's gettin' old). And it's time to start looking over the next year to come!

I don't know if they still have different suspension tuning for different trim levels. It used to be that the SE and SE-R handled very well and the others were boaty.

BTW someone mentioned an infiniti version, infiniti does not have a version of this car, or any modern Nissan aside from the Armada and Pathfinder. The Altima looks like a G/Q40/50/60 but they are totally different platforms. Same with the Murano and FX/QX70 (I think) - look similar but totally different.

The upcoming QX30 may be related to the Juke or rogue, I haven't looked into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back