Pennzoil Question - Which is the Preferred Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two questions:

I need a recap, or consensus of which is the preferred oil.

1) I recently came across 2 - qt jugs of Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 (API SN, GF5), marked down in a Walmart for $15 each - which followed me home. Taking price out equation, was this a better oil, than the current Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20. Is the current version, really an upgrade or just marketing - and why? I'm asking because I have read of many on the Mustang forums who lament the change from the old, low Noack version. Also, is the old version a GTL base, like the current Pure Plus, Ultra Platinum version?

2) I also bought a few Royal Purple 5W20 5 qt jugs, that were also clearances at $15/ jugs at the same Walmart. Is there anything superior about this product compared to a Pennzoil product or Mobil 1 0W20? I am considering returning these.

Vehicles are a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid & a 2004 2.3L Ford Focus.

Any of the oils you mentioned will be more than adequate for a 7 to 10K OCI. (RP is a great oil but no better than AFE or PUP).

I prefer the original Ultra to the newer version.

Those are amazing deals on Ultra, and the RP. My Walmart is lame compared to yours.

I read where Pennz (Shell really) started using GTL earlier than when their marketing campaign kicked in. Your Ultra is likely GTL.

I'd use the RP. Its a good oil, nothing ever cited against it from UOAs or other complaints, it seems to be decent. Better than Pennz or M1?, no.

In a simple answer the PU SN that was most recently replaced is arguably the best oil you can buy for the price.

PUP is a watered down version of PU low Noack.

So you got an amazing deal at $15!!

This is the old low NOACK Ultra and is as good as anything else you'll see on the shelf.
The RP would not be my first choice, but for fifteen bucks a jug, it's certainly a good choice.
I would not consider it superior to M1 or PPPP in any way, but it'll certainly be more than adequate for the two engines you'll use it in.
For $15.00/jug, I'd being pouring some purple oil into my own engines even if it isn't my first choice.
It'll certainly do the job.

RP reminds me of Craftsman tools. We remember when they were at the top of their game. But the current versions are not what we remember. I believe Racing formula of RP still has the good stuff but the SN version is now comparable, but not better, than other SN oils. So, on sale like this I would buy it; but remember PB used to sell 5qts. RP and a RP filter for $49.99 and we thought we were stealing it.

You got good deals on oil. Don't return any of it, and don't over think it. Use either with confidence, they're both very good oils.

NOACK isn't everything, it's a performance balance and they sacrificed NOACK for other areas of the oils performance. I trust they know more about formulating oil than your average forum member and the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is still great stuff.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
NOACK isn't everything, it's a performance balance and they sacrificed NOACK for other areas of the oils performance. I trust they know more about formulating oil than your average forum member and the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is still great stuff.

That statement, no doubt is true. However, if NOACK was sacrificed, in the current Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, specifically, what area of oil performance has been improved?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
NOACK isn't everything, it's a performance balance and they sacrificed NOACK for other areas of the oils performance.

Like.....a pour point of -51C? Nope...Ultra has something like that in their 10w-30 offering, as well as their 5w's. So how does using better basestock automatically degrade the performance of the rest of the oil? After having done UOAs on the good Ultra and various other brands, you can barely see any difference at all in the components used.

But you do see the lower Noack and lower pour points, lower than most everything except perhaps the M1 AFE or EP offerings. I don't even think the boutique brands quite hit the mark that PU did.

Of course, it makes up for it by being expensive, it cost me like $1/qt for buy that stuff!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back