oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI guys
Last summer I got a new Murray push mower with a Briggs 500
On the front of the engine by the sparkplug there is a cover with ohv stamped on it
After each use it drips a drop or two of oil
I tightened up the bolts but no help
If I decide to pull this cover off and put some gasket goop on it do I have to drain the oil first?
Thanks for any replies

Skip that and put some high mileage 10w40 in it and see what happens. But first check the warranty on the engine. If you bought it with a credit card you may have double warranty coverage.

Last edited:
IMO you don't need to remove the oil -- just put two of the wheels up on a block to tilt it so the oil level is low where you will be working.

Last edited:
It would be so easy to re-seal that cover with RTV silicone than why not just do it? If the gasket is compromised it will always have the potential to leak. If you fix the leak you won't have to worry about it at all. Tilt the mower back, remove the cover, remove all the old silicone with some solvent on a rag, reapply some RTV silicone avaialable even at Walmart, and reapply. If you get a new gasket altogether or make one from a generic sheet available at any auto store, skip the silicone and treat it with wheel bearing grease first, then install. Old mechanics trick: greasing the new gasket helps hold it in place and starts the swelling process when installed. No silicone necessary.

Replacement Briggs valve cover gaskets are like $2-4 online. Or like said, use RTV. Problem with using RTV is it's all about the prep work.

A replacement valve cover gasket, home made or store bought. Permatex Aviation Forma- Gasket in the tube. Clean the cover where the gasket goes use the goop. Let it skin over and press the gasket into it. Oil the face of the gasket and put the cover back on.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Skip that and put some high mileage 10w40 in it and see what happens. But first check the warranty on the engine. If you bought it with a credit card you may have double warranty coverage.

Just get a new gasket. Probably take 2 minutes to replace and you don't have do rely on a shmuck repair job. Silcone sealant and high mileage oil fall into that category.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back