I forgot........

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that you purposely put real winter tires on this thing, and drove it through the winter (or was that just the first year you owned it)??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Have you considered a battery disconnect switch?

I don't know if these cars like to be disconnected. Even with a very low battery many systems will run. Even some Japanese cars, which are typically not as picky as German cars, will require resetting systems after a battery removal for more than a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I thought that you purposely put real winter tires on this thing, and drove it through the winter (or was that just the first year you owned it)??
21.gif

Just the first year because I didn't have an alternative vehicle. As soon as we had one, the M5 was parked.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

I don't know if these cars like to be disconnected. Even with a very low battery many systems will run. Even some Japanese cars, which are typically not as picky as German cars, will require resetting systems after a battery removal for more than a few minutes.

This. A tender was the appropriate course of action with this car, I simply failed on that front
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

This. A tender was the appropriate course of action with this car, I simply failed on that front
frown.gif

This x2. Be careful with shutting off power on a lot of modern vehicles. Even my Toyota requires re-initializing several sensors after reconnecting power, though I have gotten away with not doing it...

I almost had a similar situation with the Corvette this winter, only I did remember to hook up one end of the trickle charger but not the other! With my trickle charger, the light comes on as soon as you plug it into the cigarette lighter in the car, even if it's not plugged in at the other end. So I thought it was fully hooked up. My tender was plugged into the extension cord, which I thought was plugged into the outlet of the garage. Lucky for me, the roads were pretty dry here quite often in December and January so I was able to drive the car a lot and keep the battery charged. It was only after one period of time that I wasn't able to drive the car for about three weeks that I noticed the engine was turning over a bit slower, which then led me to investigate further and notice the extension cord wasn't plugged in. I'm glad I did that, because my Corvette did end up sitting from the end of January until the middle of March, and it's possible the battery might not have had enough charge to start the car without the aid of the trickle charger.

I'm luckier than most 2005 Corvette owners though, many have reported they can't even go a week without the battery dying on them if they don't drive the cars.

I always just disconnect the battery. Then charge it up once during the winter and before I intend to use the car again.

IT LIVES! And wasn't overly happy with the ECM(s) being cleared. I've got a CEL (probably the EVAP solenoid still) and it had an interesting tick that came and went for the first minute or two which eventually went away when the temp got to the 1/4 mark on the gauge. It has M1 0w-40 in it with about 10,000Km on it. I'll be changing it when it comes out of hibernation.

I got the oil temp up to about 80C and that's about as warm as I could get it without driving it.

It has M1 0w-40 in it with about 10,000Km on it. I'll be changing it when it comes out of hibernation.

I'm curious as to why you stored it with old oil instead of fresh oil? Or did winter simply hit too fast before you got the chance to do it before storage?

Originally Posted By: Patman
It has M1 0w-40 in it with about 10,000Km on it. I'll be changing it when it comes out of hibernation.

I'm curious as to why you stored it with old oil instead of fresh oil? Or did winter simply hit too fast before you got the chance to do it before storage?

The latter. I had to park it before I could change it.

I thought about this thread when I used the Kia Rio parts beater at work today. It got dumped at the dealer when the owner decided they didn't want to pay the bill for repairs done about 5 years ago. The Kia mostly just drives around the dealership, to the gas station, and sometimes to an offsite warehouse down the road. And it sits all winter because it has trouble staying running when it is cold out. The battery never dies. Ever.
crackmeup2.gif
I have no idea what battery it has, but I am sure it has not been changed since at least 2010. I might check it out tomorrow if I have time.

So we had a 7C day today and they've had the street sweepers around to clean up most of the sand/salt so I took out the car.

Grinning from ear to ear, God I missed driving it!

I really enjoyed driving the Charger for the winter. It is a great car with lots of power, reasonable comfort and handling.

But

It doesn't have anything on the Bimmer.

It is simply better in every possible way. That's not a knock at the Charger, it was 1/3rd the price new. But it is a testament to just how well BMW understands (or perhaps understood) how to make a "drivers" car. It is truly exceptional.

As you are clicking through the gears (and that's literally what it is, the engagement is flawless) and the ample and flat torque curve makes every shift push you back in your seat, the seat holds you like a glove, the visibility is perfect, the cockpit is wrapped around you and you feel every contour of the road as you glide along in that muffled cabin, the note of the engine lapping at your eardrums, it is truly euphoric.

And that's why I've managed to put 60,000Km on it, LOL!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back