filter for oci of 4-5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
so who is with me? cptbarkey's redneck astrologist oil filters for sale, $500 each. pm me.

Congratulations you win the BITOG Darwin Award.

No doubts about it, no Tearolators for me. Some one thought they were smarter and changed the media. Media that worked well with high efficiency for years before. It's too weak and tears now. It should have mesh. It doesn't have mesh. They don't want to damage their image, knowing most people aren't aware so will still buy them. That's enough Tearolator soup for me.

Still waiting for lab results... Or is it still conjecture?
titanic.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tratman2000
so who is with me? cptbarkey's redneck astrologist oil filters for sale, $500 each. pm me.

Congratulations you win the BITOG Darwin Award.

I do? I thought I would win the satisfaction guaranteed reward, which I'll definitely offer that too. How about a 10% off coupon for you friend?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Maybe there is a niche market out there where an oil filter manufacturer would allow a backyard amateur tribologist to cut open their own filters for a warranty claim. I would sell that filter for no less than $500 dollars.

Maybe, but the sad thing is that there even is such an issue to worry about. People don't tend to cut filters in anticipation of a warranty claim. They do so to see how things worked out, or how things look. They're not testing them rigorously in a lab - they're getting more of a subjective viewpoint. Just like people have complained for decades about "cardboard" end caps or skimpy media on the orange cans, or wavy media in various products, people will complain about tears in filters.

"Cardboard" endcaps had become essentially a meme over the years when taking apart filters. Now, it's Purolator's turn with respect to tears. Fram intentionally used "cardboard" and skimped on the media in the orange can. What's Purolator's excuse? Hear no failure, see no failure, speak no failure? Torn media is a media failure, plain and simple. Until it comes to pass that torn media becomes the norm in the filter industry, I don't have to accept it, and if a filter brand becomes known for tearing, I won't accept it.

You would think that, given the amount of time Purolator has been making filters, they would have mastered sturdy media, not to mention figured out how to glue pleats in an even fashion. Obviously, that's not the case.

Well said, Garak.

The issue for me, though, isn't that the tears occur...it's pretty obvious Puro actually didn't intended this to happen..but rather their response...or more to the point, their lack of response...that caused me to lose confidence in them forever.

The average consumer is far more willing to continue to do business with a company that quickly acknowledges and rectifies a mistake, then one that so obviously has a problem yet takes no action. We accept that problems occur, it's a part of life...it's the response to those issues that determines our loyalty and patronage. That some over paid buffoon cannot figure this out as well as the long term corrosive effect of inaction is even more troubling.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
18.gif

Where can I get my oil filter cutting certificate?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ LoL ... I think we should have an oil filter cutting certificate training course. What do you think ... an 80 hour course long enough?
grin.gif

Lol, or maybe we should ask anyone who says that the media was torn by the filter cutter to present his or her conclusive research which shows how the media on the opposite end of the can was also torn.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Lol, or maybe we should ask anyone who says that the media was torn by the filter cutter to present his or her conclusive research which shows how the media on the opposite end of the can was also torn.
grin.gif

It is not possible to cut the media using a proper filter cutter. On the PL10241 that had three tears in it, I purposely took a photo with the base off to show the cutter wheel is never in any proximity with the filter media and it was torn on both ends:

T2nmkK.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Tony10s
grin.gif

It is not possible to cut the media using a proper filter cutter. On the PL10241 that had three tears in it, I purposely took a photo with the base off to show the cutter wheel is never in any proximity with the filter media and it was torn on both ends:

T2nmkK.jpg

smile.gif
I know ... I was kidding like the other posts above mine. There could be no such successful research which could verify that the problem was the filter cutter (that the problem occurred when the filters were cut open). I have seen posts which claim that the reported tears could have been caused when the filters were cut open, which wouldn't make sense because I saw some pics which showed tears on both ends of the filter.

Originally Posted By: Noey
The issue for me, though, isn't that the tears occur...it's pretty obvious Puro actually didn't intended this to happen..but rather their response...or more to the point, their lack of response...that caused me to lose confidence in them forever.

Exactly. Any company can make mistakes. However, this has been happening a while, and the uneven pleat issue simply doesn't help. I will say, though, that forever is a long time and I want them to get their act together. I don't like having to dismiss the majority of a product line because of lazy manufacturing.

Glue the stupid pleats evenly. If that isn't good enough, don't make the media so brittle. If that doesn't work, outsource to a Chinese plant. They'll have undoubtedly counterfeited a superior product.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back