Fram Ultra Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update... I now have a little under 1500 miles on that Fram Ultra XG2 on that 3.0 Ford Escape. I have to admit im amazed at how clean the oil stayed. I used Pennzoil 5w20 and today i checked the oil and the oil looked like it was just put in i could barely see it on the dipstick.. That filter kept that oil cleaner than any other filter i ever used so far. I will report back in another 1500 miles on how everything looks. So far im impressed.

i think she has 135,000 on that one it is a nice vehicle. It has had a front cat cel for about 4 years now but runs very good.

usually it starts getting dark in 500 miles but lets see there is still a lot of miles left to be certain then there is the uoa. I don't see this vehicle every day but check it when i can. It leaks slightly no real oil drip but seepage.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Update... I now have a little under 1500 miles on that Fram Ultra XG2 on that 3.0 Ford Escape. I have to admit im amazed at how clean the oil stayed. I used Pennzoil 5w20 and today i checked the oil and the oil looked like it was just put in i could barely see it on the dipstick.. That filter kept that oil cleaner than any other filter i ever used so far. I will report back in another 1500 miles on how everything looks. So far im impressed.

Hmmm

not sure thats how you can tell b/c they proved color dont have much to do with it.

also I have a B D+ on my Honda Accord and after 2K miles with Mobil HM Syn Blend the oil is clean also and can barely see it on the stick.

Personally I think any oil filter can do 3000 miles with no problem...

Originally Posted By: robo339
I doubt you will notice much difference in 1500 miles with any filter

I agree.

You could've used a motorcraft filter,and got the same results,1500 miles is NOTHING.

I have used oils that just got dark(er) more quickly than other oils, even while using the same filter part#. And I have used oils that stayed cleaner looking compared to other oils, even when using the same filter again(2 OCI's).

Kind'a makes ya wonder, doesn't it?

Some virgin oils are lighter and some are darker. Did two oil changes last week and the Chevron was very light while pouring it and the Rotella T6 full synthetic went in the crankcase very dark.

But you still have good reason to believe that the world's greatest oil filter (Ultra) is keeping your dipstick oil cleaner than any other filter. I mean after-all, would you pay $9 for a filter that didn't work real well?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

I'm sure OP knows that color is not an indicator of anything. I think he is trying to point out the fact that his oil has stayed reasonably clean since using the Fram Ultra. Those are his observations and I don't think he's trying to draw any conclusions about the oil. Just that the filter seems to be keeping the oil cleaner.

I recently installed a Fram Ultra in my 2.2 ecotec without changing oil. The oil had about 4,700 miles on it at the time and it is still in the car. The filter I removed was a Purolator Classic that had developed holes.

I know this doesn't make sense, but I swear that after changing the filter, the oil appeared cleaner and thinner. Before changing the filter it was surprisingly sticky. I would not have mentioned this had I not seen this thread.

My experience over 50 years is that in engines that have tight rings and use litte oil, the oil stays "clean" for thousands and thousands of miles. So the color has zero effect on your filter IMHO

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I recently installed a Fram Ultra in my 2.2 ecotec without changing oil. The oil had about 4,700 miles on it at the time and it is still in the car. The filter I removed was a Purolator Classic that had developed holes.

I know this doesn't make sense, but I swear that after changing the filter, the oil appeared cleaner and thinner. Before changing the filter it was surprisingly sticky. I would not have mentioned this had I not seen this thread.

Maybe these rumors of Ultra being 80% at 5 microns is true then.

Dont worry bullwinkle i will be cutting this one open and as far as the oil looking very clean i9 will report back in 1500 moles. It does look cleaner than usual but i will keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back