Interesting observation with Redline MT90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since last fall, I've had Redline MT90 (GL4 75w90) in the gearbox of my Miata. I drained out what I believed to be the original, 123,000 mile-old fluid. Aside from much better shift feel, it seems that the gearbox runs noticeably cooler.

Typically, with the old fluid, the shifter knob and handle would get quite warm, even with normal driving, and very nearly hot with some spirited driving thrown in. Today I drove around for about an hour, with many periods of sustained high rpm and high load through some twisties
smile.gif
and the entire time, the handle never got above lukewarm, and shifting quality never diminished. I have no numbers or scientific evidence to support my findings, just thought I'd share some real-world observations on what so far has been a good fluid in my gearbox.

It's great stuff! With me,it's a toss up between Redline MT90 and Amsoil MTG. Funny thing about MT90,to me it smells just like atf and it a light red color. Wonder if there's any correlation?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It's great stuff! With me,it's a toss up between Redline MT90 and Amsoil MTG. Funny thing about MT90,to me it smells just like atf and it a light red color. Wonder if there's any correlation?

I'm not sure. Honestly, this is the first RWD car I've owned, so I've never purchased, seen or smelled manual gear oil before this. I can confirm that the Redline GL5 75w90 diff oil smells very much like gear oil... my catch pan stills smells of it many months later!

Redline mt90 is awesome. I originally was using BG synchro shift and it was nearly night and day difference. The BG was better than the factory fill and the Redline was even better. This was when I had my Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX.

What vintage? When I replaced my Tacome 5 speed oil with MT-90 it was just a nice light honey color. I definitely don't remember it being red.

No correlation whatever.

Redline uses a lot of Red dye for product identification because, well, it's Redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back