The smoothest most quiet engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
A Prius, pretty quiet especially when its on the battery. Dead silent, doesn't feel right.

Technically a "motor" though and not an "engine", unless you're a redneck mechanic who likes to use motor when you mean engine?

Please inform this redneck mechanic where I said motor or engine.

All I said was "its quiet" especially when its running off the battery. This car can be ran off battery's or gasoline so please inform me where I made this mistake which has so troubled you.

When it's running off the battery the engine is off. So it doesn't fit the OP's quote of asking about the smoothest engines. In your post you've conflated motors->engine.

I can say my big Diesel truck also super quiet-when it's engine is off and getting towed.

Sorry, the dig at redneck mechanics wasn't directed at you, that's for the more general conflation of people who call engines->motors.

Prius have a quiet engines, I threw in the part about it running on battery's as a extra benefit for someoning looking for a quite vehicle. While I'll I will gladly admit I should have said Prius 1.5 vs just Prius that doesn't mean I was speaking only of the electronic motor..

Just really hate when people quote me for something then imply I meant something else. As for redkneck it doesn't bother me, but when I have my location set to Mississippi it wouldn't be that hard to imagine when someone says "unless your one of thoses rednecks".

But I'm having a good day, No harm no Foul.

There's a prius in my apartment complex that has a rusted out exhaust. It's kind of funny when it goes from electric operation to IC engine ... and it's loud.

The original Lexus ls400 was silent from idle to redline. In the car WOT at redline was nearly silent. Having had two of those and currently owning a new BMW I6, the BMW feels like a coffee grinder compared to the LS.

I've also had VG and VQ powered Nissans that were smooth, but not like the Lexus.

The old Jag V12 was quiet and smooth

I will always love the Nissan VQ30. Just a perfect engine.
Great powerband, great sound, ultra smooth, and rock solid reliable. The Nissan of yesteryear you are sadly missed.

In 1994 I picked up a flood car from Louisiana, a salvage titled 1990 Camry with a 2.5 V6. It was an incredibly smooth and quiet running engine. Runner up was a BMW I6. Actually pretty much every I6 I have owned was on the better side though.

Lexus V8, RR/Bentley V8, and any V12.

Nothing really gives you that turbine power like a V12.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
The flathead V8 in my Dad's '47 ford coupe was pretty smooth.

Flat head Ford V8s were probably the quietest engines around. Of course most of the youngsters here never heard one run.

Your gonna think I'm crazy, but the 5FSE in my Camry is very quiet.... for a 4 cyl.
The 3.8 in my Ciera is PRE balance shaft, so that thing creates ruckus (kinda love it, though)

Toyota's 1.8 liter engine certainly doesn't make this list....while it is a very reliable engine, all of the ones I've had idle rough, they vibrate throughout most of the RPM range noticeably, and when first started in cold weather they sound like they have marbles bouncing around inside the engine...in other words, it's a good thing they're reliable...

Last edited:
Would have to say the 3.2L in my Acura is the quietest motor I have ever rode in or drove. She really purrs with the Pennzoil Ultra Pure Plus in her heart!!

Originally Posted By: hpb
You guys ever get the Nissan RB30 engine in the 80's? 3.0 SOHC inline 6, smooth as silk engine even by today's standards. And pretty bulletproof, a winning combination
smile.gif

The USA never officially got any kind of Nissan RB-series engine. Once they eliminated the L-series, Nissan never sold an inline 6 in the USA.

Unofficially, things are different. There are a few ways to get an older Nissan GT-R into the USA, but those had a different variant, the RB26DETT.

I once read that an incredibly quiet and smooth engine was found in the 1990s Mazda Cosmo. It had 3 rotors and 2 turbos. Those cars never came to the USA, but some people would swap them into an RX-7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back