This will be an interesting UOA....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: fredfactory

How much top-off oil did you use? Makes a big difference in keeping acids down, which is mostly what degrades oil,

1 quart of make up oil last added in September. Hasn't used any since then.

Thats not much. Which is good news, and bad news I think! Good news of course the rings etc. are tight, bad news is that the additives gradually break down chemically. For that I'd definitely throw in some Liqui Moly Motor Protect half dose with their Motor Saver half dose.

On going long (oil change intervals), Peyton Manning can complete that pass to 30,000 miles if you have good filtration. There are two large government (police, pool cars, etc.) fleets that I have spoken to lately that go 30,000 miles or 2 yrs, whichever comes first, on oil changes. They add make up oil and use great oil filters and simply change the oil filters-only at 10,000 miles, then change all the oil at that 30k or 2 yrs point whichever comes first, and its usually the 30k that comes first.
One of the fleet has 900 vehicles and they have been doing this for 5 years now on the cheapest recycled re-refined conventional motor oil, although they said they are using dexos1 in the GM vehicles now. The other fleet is almost 1,000 vehicles and they use Mobil1 5w-30 for the long 30,000 mile intervals, like the other fleet also changing great filters out at 10,000 miles.

Neither fleet puts in extra additives. Relying on makeup oil to keep acids down.

How much top-off oil did you use? Makes a big difference in keeping acids down, which is mostly what degrades oil,

Thats not much. Which is good news, and bad news I think! Good news of course the rings etc. are tight, bad news is that the additives gradually break down chemically. For that I'd definitely throw in some Liqui Moly Motor Protect half dose with their Motor Saver half dose.

On going long (oil change intervals), Peyton Manning can complete that pass to 30,000 miles if you have good filtration. There are two large government (police, pool cars, etc.) fleets that I have spoken to lately that go 30,000 miles or 2 yrs, whichever comes first, on oil changes. They add make up oil and use great oil filters and simply change the oil filters-only at 10,000 miles, then change all the oil at that 30k or 2 yrs point whichever comes first, and its usually the 30k that comes first.
One of the fleet has 900 vehicles and they have been doing this for 5 years now on the cheapest recycled re-refined conventional motor oil, although they said they are using dexos1 in the GM vehicles now. The other fleet is almost 1,000 vehicles and they use Mobil1 5w-30 for the long 30,000 mile intervals, like the other fleet also changing great filters out at 10,000 miles.

Neither fleet puts in extra additives. Relying on makeup oil to keep acids down.

Note to self: Don't buy used cars from government fleets.

hummmm WHAT? My Government Fleet is on 5K and 7.5K intervals for both response vehicles and/or general use vehicles depending on the vehicle. New filter at every change. Now, that being said, the Gov. fleet is only as good as the person running it. My predecessor ran our transit vehicles for a year without the Fed inspection. God only know about the other vehicles. However, I would buy some of my own fleet because I know the maintenance... but then again, I know that I am not getting new vehicles anytime soon (thanks cut and spend state legislature) so my 160K vehicles are staying with me and not going to the auction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
hummmm WHAT? My Government Fleet is on 5K and 7.5K intervals

Polk County Florida and Oxnard California fleets are both on 30,000 mile oil changes and 10,000 mile oil filter swaps. Have been for 5 years. No complaints, they love it.

This is going down today...its going to be an OCI of 12,200 miles and 1 year.
0401151337.jpg

0402151207.jpg

0402151225.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
During the summer the car saw 12 1/4 passes at the Seekonk Speedway and won 10 of those passes. Losses were to a modded M3 and stock CTS-V.

So you're saying all I have to do is buy a stock CTS-V off the dealer lot and it will beat your modified A6 ???
grin2.gif

Sorry I just saw this post. Merk, I am not here to buy the fastest car otherwise I would have bought a Hennessey Venom GT thats if I could afford it. The CTS-V is a great car in itself but I am not too thrilled with the interior and gas mileage really sucks for a daily driver as well. My Audi A6 has a balance of everything. With close to 475hp I am still getting 23-25mpg which I am amazed as well.
0326151744.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back