The truth regarding fungus and bacteria in diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so whats the real deal on this. I read things stating that its impossible for algae, bacteria, and fungus to grow in diesel fuel tanks. Common sense tells me this is true as I would assume they need water, food, and light. In reality most things that you poor fuel on die eventually as this is bad stuff. But then you go to all the fuel additive sites and they have products to kill this stuff and speak of how this stuff can actually grow in your tank. So are they just flat our lying about this or what? I'm not interested in all the people that THINK they know but I want to hear from someone that really knows. So is it true or false?

Algae (actually a black fungus) grows in the border zone between diesel fuel (on top) & water (on the bottom)-I've been driving/owning diesel trucks for approx. 12 years (I know, not that long) & have not had an algae problem. The biggest thing is buy fuel from a name brand station that turns over fuel, preferably from newer tanks, & keep your tank AS FULL AS POSSIBLE. That way, when you drive, & the return fuel (excess from IP & injection system) heats up your tank, & then contracts drawing in outside air, there's less space in the tank to accumulate moisture-which will settle UNDER the fuel & potentially cause any algae/fungus to grow-& can even cause winter fuel system freezing. There are additives such as Biobor to help control algae-but, knock on wood, I've never had to use them.

I 've seen the algae of fungus in the filters of my friends boat.It looked almost like someone shaved a beard off and put it in the tank. The boat was tied to a dock in a where it was moved very little and exposed to the heat of summer at the Jersey Shore.I could see how it could stop a motor from running if it plugged up the filter completely.,,

Okay I have a little story about bacteria in diesel tanks. I work for a DOD contractor and work at a SPAWAR base. We used to have about 30 or so diesel generators in our yard that we maintained and repaired. We never had any fuel problems up until my famous boss was ordering fuel one day and let a truck come in and fill every generator with bio-diesel. Now let me say that these generators sat for long periods of time without being run. The fuel tanks were so full of bacteria they wouldn't run the next time he tried to start them. When I found out what he had done all I could do was laugh in his face. He tried cleaning out one of the tanks and failed at it. I have never seen such a mess. It was if the tanks were filled with a yellow/black slime. The government (you and I) bought 30 brand new fuel tanks to the tune of $40,000. These generators were his area of responsibility. IMHO a fuel additive isn't needed in a diesel that is run every day. It's when they start sitting or only get driven from time to time is when things start growing. I have been driving diesels on an everyday basis since 1981. Oh and BTW my boss is long gone and I do the fuel ordering now.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Okay I have a little story about bacteria in diesel tanks. I work for a DOD contractor and work at a SPAWAR base. We used to have about 30 or so diesel generators in our yard that we maintained and repaired. We never had any fuel problems up until my famous boss was ordering fuel one day and let a truck come in and fill every generator with bio-diesel. Now let me say that these generators sat for long periods of time without being run. The fuel tanks were so full of bacteria they wouldn't run the next time he tried to start them. When I found out what he had done all I could do was laugh in his face. He tried cleaning out one of the tanks and failed at it. I have never seen such a mess. It was if the tanks were filled with a yellow/black slime. The government (you and I) bought 30 brand new fuel tanks to the tune of $40,000. These generators were his area of responsibility. IMHO a fuel additive isn't needed in a diesel that is run every day. It's when they start sitting or only get driven from time to time is when things start growing. I have been driving diesels on an everyday basis since 1981. Oh and BTW my boss is long gone and I do the fuel ordering now.

^ Great story

Life is tenacious, and on topic, read an article the other day about the hydrocarbons seas of titan being a place that is expected to (maybe) find it.

Sulfur digesting bacteria live at deep ocean vents, way from light. There's thermophilic things that use earth's natural heat...even NASA's clean room has grown it's own novel bugs.

I have even had experience of a sulfate reducing bacteria eating cast iron water pumps at work, and requiring the "infected" components to be kilned at a couple hundred degrees for 8 hours.

The water/diesel interface is a great spot for certain bugs...seen it many times, once infected, it's hard to become uninfected...throw in some fluoroprotein fire fighting foam and they go nuts.

Like I said, life is tenacious...acetobacteria, the ones that make vinegar have started inhabiting ethanol blended fuel tanks, and making acetic acid to chew on the tanks/lines.

Had black/grey algae in bottom of fuel filter in a 4 year old JD tractor now running Power Service Bio Kleen service dose every fill up problem gone..

Weirdly enough, the only place I've ever seen them is in the bottoms of my fuel cans-just a couple little black flecks-and a couple of days with E10 in the gas can instead of diesel seems to take care of them. Now you guys have me worried, hope the GASOLINE vehicles aren't getting them!

I dare say that some kind of life form could make it in gasoline. The earliest form of life it seems is cyanobacteria that was responsible for turning the Earths atmosphere from a toxic soup that would kill us instantly into the oxygen rich one we have today.

So algae able to thrive in diesel fuel?, I have no trouble thinking it not only possible, but probable.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Sawtooth
Ok so whats the real deal on this. I read things stating that its impossible for algae, bacteria, and fungus to grow in diesel fuel tanks. Common sense tells me this is true as I would assume they need water, food, and light. In reality most things that you poor fuel on die eventually as this is bad stuff. But then you go to all the fuel additive sites and they have products to kill this stuff and speak of how this stuff can actually grow in your tank. So are they just flat our lying about this or what? I'm not interested in all the people that THINK they know but I want to hear from someone that really knows. So is it true or false?

The algae, bacteria and fungus that people are most concerned about is because of increase % of biodiesel. The bio content in diesel can more easily hydrolyze water contamination (this can happen as easily as condensation building on the sides of storage tanks that are subject to wide temperature swings). Because of this the environment that supports the growth of these biological contaminants can be found in certain storage tanks. It is more likely to occur in above ground plastic tanks than metal ones, but it can happen if you aren't monitoring things properly.

As far as additives goes, biocides are highly regulated and the import and sale of them are carefully monitored by environmental regulatory groups. They are nasty chemicals. Most fuel additive companies wouldn't include a biocide in their regular use fuel additive - however they may have products like you described and can be used when a tank has a known contamination issue. There are also ways to stabilize the diesel fuel and help keep water contamination down by using proper filters and fuel additives designed to separate water from fuel in your long term storage tanks. If you are using B20 fuel or higher I would recommend looking into ways to prevent and control contamination.

A common misconception about the presence of these biological contaminants is a darkening of the fuel in the fuel tank, or sludge build up on the filter bowl. This can happen to regular ULSD due to the high heat and high pressure environment of today's HPCR fuel systems. Many OEM's say that some darkening of the fuel in use is considered normal. However there are purpose built additives designed to improve the fuel stability in this environment along with detergents that can clean up build up if it occurs. Again this has nothing to do with algae growth, but is a natural byproduct of using HPCR fuel systems.

It has also become a little more of a problem since the advent of ULSD. And it can be confused with Asphaltine, which is basically "cooked' fuel that has returned off the hot rail from the engine back to the fuel tank. I had a big problem with the Asphaltine issue with a Cummins ISX I used to have. I have gotten into the habit of mildly dosing fuel tanks every month or two with a biocide called Killem from FPPF. With the more prominent availability of bio blends of fuel, it is just a proactive measure.

Once I added some Sta-Bil diesel biocide to my newish 2003 TDI and a few days later the fuel level sender stopped working due to corrosion. Turns out with a small electrical potential the stuff is pretty destructive to brass.

I've had to deal with microbial growth in a diesel fuel tank. It had nothing to do with bio-diesel fuel. If the supplier sends you a load of fuel with bugs growing in it, you're infected. The bugs grow on the oil-water interface, so as said above, fresh fuel and no water are important. The fuel I used often sat in the tank for months, and we always added a biocide after that one event just to be on the safe side. Even if the fuel is regularly used and replaced, I'd carry a dose of the biocide with me in case of one load of contaminated fuel. Being in a dry climate reduces the chance of the water and the bugs; being in a warm & humid climate increases the chance.

The crud smells like sulfur and is black & slimy. It plugs fuel filters very well. Because it is acidic, it can cause corrosion damage on expensive injection parts.

The critters can also grow in lube oil, but that is rare. I don't know of any biocide labeled for use in lube oil.

Counting the Class 8 trucks, Ive had I believe 23 various Diesel trucks and only ever had an algae problem on 1 truck, and it didn't get ran much. It kept plugging fuel filters so bad that I was pulling my hair out. I kept dousing with biocide and it finally cleared up. We were also using 15% bio

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back