Equinox Braking Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago, I posted a video of some noise concerns I had with my wife's 2005 Equinox. Took it to the mechanic who thinks the repair calls for new motor mounts. Waiting on parts now.

Get the car back and now my wife complains about a braking noise. Took the car out tonight in the subdivision and about half the time when I'm coming to a stop I'm getting a weird noise and pulsation. Very similar to ABS engagement, but not the click click click of normal ABS engagement. Any ideas?

****I did a brake fluid flush exactly one month ago, I hope the flush is not the problem as it was 30 days and around 1,000 miles ago. I did some brake booster tests I read about and the brake booster seems fine. Actually the brakes feel fine until almost coming to stop, then something is happening.

The very first brake is what I'm talking about. The second and third were normal. Fifth bad, sixth good, 7th very bad.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAxjsN1wK5M

Years ago we had one of the abs speed sensors replaced. I wonder if this is the problem again. No dash lights are on and my scanner doesn't see any codes including abs codes.

Originally Posted By: user52165
If it's brakes and your "mechanic" says motor mounts............. dump him.

Two different issues. First issue was engine or exhaust noise when throttling up. The car has 120K and I'm sure it needs new motor mounts. I hope it solves the engine noise issue.

Second issue just started yesterday, that is the braking noise and vibration at low speed braking. I'm going try to troubleshoot the sensors today or tomorrow. Assuming the sensor is the issue and cleaning doesn't work, need to decide if I do the hub and sensor or just the sensor, and if the sensor, do I do I go OEM or aftermarket. I do not plan on keeping this vehicle more than a few months.

Power washed the front and back of the wheels, still sometimes doing its braking thing. If it doesnt pull either way what does that mean? Both rear sensors were replaced 30000 miles ago or so. Plan to take the front tires off tonight

Started the day changing the transmission fluid on the Trailblazer, then noticed the sway bar link was busted up. Fixed that and then started on the Equinox.

Got my hands on the left front ABS sensor. Got it unbolted but could not unfree it from the hub assembly. Finally ended up freeing part of the sensor leaving the lens part broken off in the hub assembly. I can't get the piece out. I'm at the point of just replacing the hub assembly. In the process of removing the hub assembly bolts, I snapped my 13mm socket. Impact socket too big. No stores other than Walmart open on Sunday night. A friend hooked me up with socket and off the hub assembly bolts came.

Next step is to get the rusted on hub assembly off. I did get the bolts off, but the dang thing is stuck on the axle despite PB Blaster, wacks with the hammer ect..Going out of town tomorrow back on Tuesday. Perhaps I can borrow a slide hammer from AAP and get it off that way.

Originally Posted By: wormwood1978
Started the day changing the transmission fluid on the Trailblazer, then noticed the sway bar link was busted up. Fixed that and then started on the Equinox.

Got my hands on the left front ABS sensor. Got it unbolted but could not unfree it from the hub assembly. Finally ended up freeing part of the sensor leaving the lens part broken off in the hub assembly. I can't get the piece out. I'm at the point of just replacing the hub assembly. In the process of removing the hub assembly bolts, I snapped my 13mm socket. Impact socket too big. No stores other than Walmart open on Sunday night. A friend hooked me up with socket and off the hub assembly bolts came.

Next step is to get the rusted on hub assembly off. I did get the bolts off, but the dang thing is stuck on the axle despite PB Blaster, wacks with the hammer ect..Going out of town tomorrow back on Tuesday. Perhaps I can borrow a slide hammer from AAP and get it off that way.

Slide hammer would not get the hub assembly off. A few other internet tricks would not get it off either. I ended up having a shop finish the job for me. He said it took him an hour and half, lots of heat, an air chisel and many whacks with the sledge to get if off. He said there is no way I would have got it off.

I had a similiar issue with my Equinox. Replaced the rotors and pads and it went away. Sounds like the current brakes either have warped rotors, a buildup has formed on the rotor or the brakes weren't bedded correctly.

Actually, I believe there is/was a bad ABS sensor. I broke the ABS sensor off trying to either clean or replace the sensor which is why I moved to replacing the hub assembly. The issue was intermittent and unexplained ABS engagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back