Any info on the Lincoln 4 .6 L InTech V8-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have info on the Lincoln 4 .6 L InTech V8's and tranny.
I see a 100,000 miles car that looks nice.

Basically a Ford 4.6L as found in the Mustang, F-150, Crown Vic, Continental, etc.

The 32-valve versions are similar to the 96-98 Mustang Cobra.

IOW: A Stout engine.

As far as tranny, RWD apps used the same 4Rxxxw as everything else. FWD apps were, IIRC a beefed up AX4N/AX4S.

Last edited:
Yep, the InTech 4.6 is basically a "Cobra engine." A 32 valve, DOHC version of the 4.6 Modular.

One of my friends had a 2000 Continental up until 2012 He bought it off an elderly relative around 2007 or 2008. I don't think it had a ton of miles, but it was a daily driver. He never had any engine or trans problems out of it...the powertrain was rock solid. The air suspension, not so much. He ended up putting coil springs in it. He traded the car in on a new Fusion just because he wanted something newer that wasn't as much of an old man car.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
He never had any engine or trans problems out of it...the powertrain was rock solid. The air suspension, not so much. He ended up putting coil springs in it.

Thats EXACTLY what I did to my daughters 2002 Continental. Fixing the air suspension was $1200+ while replacing it with a conventional suspension ran us $450.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
You could have bought a new compressor and 2 new air springs with solenoids for $400 from Arnott.

Perhaps, but then there is labor costs to add.

With a conventional suspension, I will never have to be concerned with the air compression troubles ever again.

I would stay away from Continentals for a teenager, At the end of the day it's still a V8 Taurus with leather interior, 10 miles more wiring & a module for everything

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I would stay away from Continentals for a teenager, At the end of the day it's still a V8 Taurus with leather interior, 10 miles more wiring & a module for everything

I don't know, throw some coil springs under it and it's a pretty good car for a big 'ol stretch Taurus with a V8.

The one my friend had was a college car, not a high school car, but it held up really well. The air suspension was the ONLY issue, and it was an easy fix. The car was totally reliable otherwise, down to the analog clock on the dash. I think it was traded before 150K miles, but it drove between NC and PA/NY many times with no problems. It was really a good car...definitely better than current FWD Lincolns.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I don't know, throw some coil springs under it and it's a pretty good car for a big 'ol stretch Taurus with a V8.

The one my friend had was a college car, not a high school car, but it held up really well. The air suspension was the ONLY issue, and it was an easy fix. The car was totally reliable otherwise, down to the analog clock on the dash. I think it was traded before 150K miles, but it drove between NC and PA/NY many times with no problems. It was really a good car...definitely better than current FWD Lincolns.

I always cringed everytime I saw one pull/bounce into the parking lot at work. But my point of view on them may be skewed, The ones I have ran across are owned by lower income folks that cant afford to maintain a luxury car much less a worn out one.
I have about the same opinion on Mark VIII's.

The Town Car on the other hand is a really good car.

The 32-valve 4.6L is a wonderful engine. However, things to look out for:

-Intake Manifold Runner Controls - worst on the '96 Mark VIII, but not great on all years. They can stick and cause a serious drop in low-RPM torque.
-Timing chains (especially on earlier year Lincoln 4.6s) rattle at start-up. Non-critical issue, but it's annoying.
-If the car is a Mark VIII, the oil filter access is quite obstructed. No fun.

I can't imagine trying to do the rear bank of plugs on a Continental.

Originally Posted By: Jakob_1992
The 32-valve 4.6L is a wonderful engine. However, things to look out for:

-Intake Manifold Runner Controls - worst on the '96 Mark VIII, but not great on all years. They can stick and cause a serious drop in low-RPM torque.
-Timing chains (especially on earlier year Lincoln 4.6s) rattle at start-up. Non-critical issue, but it's annoying.
-If the car is a Mark VIII, the oil filter access is quite obstructed. No fun.

I can't imagine trying to do the rear bank of plugs on a Continental.

The rear plugs on a Continental aren't that bad. I have done a few.

The IMRCs on the B headed 4.6 engines are long obsolete. They do get carboned up, and there are write-ups online about how to take them apart and clean them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back