Moving cross-country (with cat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my brother moved cross-country with his cat, he, the cat not my brother, tore a huge gash into the leather backseat on his brand-new S5. Apparently the cat had at some point manged to get out of the pet carrier and was in a super-foul mood. Was always a scratchy terror that cat. I haven't heard the end of it yet. Good luck! If it were my cat, I'd probably slip him diazepam and enjoy a quiet and uneventful drive.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: joaks
Has anyone ever used a pet transport service? This would seem to be a good choice (more comfortable).

I just got a quote for $600, which would be the same as taking her on an airplane without the need for medication or trying to get her through security.

$600? Awfully pricey. Most airlines will let you have a pet in the cabin for an additional $50 (or at least it was $50 several years ago).

One thing I cannot suggest is putting your pet in as cargo. Although there are safety precautions and the ramp personnel do the best they can, it is still a very stressful time for the animal.

Yes, I would never put her into cargo. Too many horror stories. I don't think it is permitted now anyway. The concern with flying is that I would probably need to sedate her which she may be too old for. Even when she is happy and at home her "inside voice" is "MEOW!!!! MEOW!!!!" My fellow passengers would be begging to replace me with a mother and screaming infant. I will talk to the vet on Friday to get his opinion.

On a side note- the $600 transport is by far the cheapest so far. I also have a $3000, a $6000 and maybe a $1000 one.

We moved 600 miles 2 years ago with two cats, one hating riding in a car, vocal the whole time when taking short drives.

Amazingly, after about 30 min she stopped being a pest and was quiet the rest of the trip. We were expecting a miserable trip with the two of them but it worked out fine, we did let them out of the carriers in the car so they moved around the interior while driving which could be a hazard but wife was with me to watch them

Hey guys,

Another quick opinion on this trip:

Google maps is suggesting I-10 then pick up I-8 outside of phoenix. Having never driven out west I am unsure about filling stations. Should this be a concern? I tend to refuel often (before 1/4 tank) but have had a few close calls elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

How is your wife getting to Calif? I would consider the small HF trailer.

Somehow this doesn't read right....

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to notice that, but I did get a chuckle out of it!

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

How is your wife getting to Calif? I would consider the small HF trailer.

Somehow this doesn't read right....

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to notice that, but I did get a chuckle out of it!

My first inclination was to ask for pictures, but then I felt a bit queasy.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back