Is all common sense and reasoning gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
As a father, I wouldn't take the money and would in turn, offer up my car!

This times a million! What kind've parent would expect their kid to reimburse them for gas money. Pretty sad.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
As a father, I wouldn't take the money and would in turn, offer up my car!

But also, it was nice of the son to offer his father the money instead of handing it to a stranger! How many of our children will do that these days?

man, I hope my kids don't grow up to be boneheads. I need a stress free life in my retirement. haha

160 for a tire mounted and balanced is probably a going ballpark figure. If my kid needed a way to get to work then he is welcome to my car. Or buy him tires so he isn't sliding around on baldies .My baby making days are way past me. But I enjoy my grand children. So tires are no big deal if they keep the grand kids comfortable.
grin2.gif

I know lots of men who have no idea about anything on a car. They just blindly walk into a tire shop and get ripped off, or any repair shop.

$150 put two new tires on my wifes Toyota, and they are 16 inch tires made in the US.

People don't know what anything costs either. Was it a fancy pontiac with 18 inch factory wheels on low profile tires?

Sure 160 each sounds reasonable for that.

I do all the work I can on my own cars, anything I can't figure out I look it up on youtube instead of asking a service jockey's advise who I do not trust.

It simply depends on how you value your time.

If your younger, work a lot, and pull down say $200k a year than your time is worth $96 an hour before taxes. So you call down to the shop, swoop in throwing them the keys, and are off with another car either a ride or a loaner for a day, and while they are at it do XYZ service as well to save time from having to come back in a month.

If your retired or only make $20k your time is worth very little, some people need to work over an hour to earn $15. Than it makes sense that he was trying to save a buck, or in this case $15.

Or in the case of being retired, I'm behind you taking three phone calls and late for two appointments as you dawdle on your daily trip across town at 20mph in a 30 zone to grab the paper and some half and half.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude

I've run into people like this, and I can't figure out if they are really that stupid, or if they are trying to scam you.

Most are in fact trying to scam you. I've met very few really stupid people in my life and that includes every stripe you can think of.

I'm not excusing bad behavior (I abhor it!) I do have some sympathy for low IQ types, but the rest of the conniving, scheming, BSers, can suck it. If only you could make them disappear!
39.gif

Many people think of scheduled maintenance as unnecessary expense, the same people who rant at you when you tell them you can't fix their neglected falling apart wreck for cheap.

My tire shop buddy told me he has started telling people looking for used tires for their upscale cars, (Not end of lease cars but cars for staus);
"Sure, I have new tires at your price, but not in your size."
When they ask for an explanation he tells them;
"These tires will fit Fords, Hyundais or Renaults that you might be able to afford to run."
He normally doesn't see them again, but he tells me they are normally more trouble than they are worth.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Vikas
The picture would be funnier if it had shown both the battery posts.

crackmeup2.gif
20.gif
33.gif

Wow, please tell me that pic is a fake.

Most likely not. One of my friends did this EXACT same thing while trying to replace the battery in his girlfriend's car. He felt like an idiot afterwards, but he was out of his element and unlike some of us, he hasn't replaced more car batteries than he can remember. He has replaced one, and remembers it quite well now.

Some of my other friends, males included, wouldn't even be able to get that far.

Dumb mistakes are fine when the person is humble about it and willing to learn. What I can't stand is when people who do stuff like this routinely still insist they know what they are doing.

Probably, I just spent an hour visiting three stores to pick up as much sub $1 oil as I could. One hour, $19.17+tax and I have 23 more quarts in the stash.

What's my time worth?

My neighborhood just received new recycling containers. Large cans that are picked up by the truck and dumped. There's a large sticker with pictures explaining how to place the cans. Opening facing the road, place can at curb, and leave at least three feet between the trashcan, recycling can, and other objects. 75% of the houses I saw, did it wrong. Yes, common sense is gone.

I'm sure the owner took a lot of science classes. On the other hand, that's a nasty trick the battery maker played on him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back