Does anyone here go 20k on a oil filter in a Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the 2000-2005 pre-MM Hondas specify 10k OC, with the filter changed only every *other* oil change, which would be 20k

(not to mention the 90s Hondas with 7500 OCI/15k FCI)

Question is, does anyone here do that? Or know someone brave enough to go 20k on a non-synthetic filter?

I know that some OEM Honda oil filters are cardboard Frams, and that even non-high-end filters are warrantied for the full manufacturer's suggested interval.

I'd love to see a Purolator Classic or OCOD or TG or Honda OEM or Wix or Napa Silver/Proselect run for 20k cut open!

I'd try it myself but I don't have a Honda!

If I ran our '12 Accord to 0% MM, it could often see 10K on a drain.
If you changed the oil filter every other drain, then you could easily see 20K+ miles on the filter.
I'm not brave enough to do this with any oil filter, so I've replaced it with each drain of the oil, at between 10% and 15% MM.
I'd bet there are some dealer serviced cars that have done 20K on the OEM filter and I'm guessing that Honda's specs for it allow it to safely reach 2X 0% MM.
Fram may make the oil filters, but they are made to whatever specification Honda contracted for and I doubt that Honda would be selling filters that can't last for their recommended change intervals.

I have gone 15K (2x OCI) on a Pure One filter in a 2007 Accord. Sadly the car was later totaled in an accident.

There is plenty of conjecture on filters not being up to the task. I suspect Honda know better.

Last edited:
Did you cut the filter open after running it 15K?
If not, then how do you know that it was still filtering at all and didn't have torn media?
Engine not blowing up is not proof of the useful life of an oil filter.

Summit Racing had a closeout on the Fram's that fit my kids Civic for $1 each. I bought 21 of them. So I change them at 5000. But I would change them every time anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Engine not blowing up is not proof of the useful life of an oil filter.

It is to my wife and 3 daughters......
33.gif

According to Honda, there current cars can go 2 OCIs using the OEM filter. The MM in my Pilot says I can easily do 10K mile OCIs so the filter technically should last 20K miles. Would I run one that long? No. A fresh filter is cheap insurance against oil-related engine damage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Some of the 2000-2005 pre-MM Hondas specify 10k OC, with the filter changed only every *other* oil change, which would be 20k

(not to mention the 90s Hondas with 7500 OCI/15k FCI)

Question is, does anyone here do that? Or know someone brave enough to go 20k on a non-synthetic filter?

I know that some OEM Honda oil filters are cardboard Frams, and that even non-high-end filters are warrantied for the full manufacturer's suggested interval.

I'd love to see a Purolator Classic or OCOD or TG or Honda OEM or Wix or Napa Silver/Proselect run for 20k cut open!

I'd try it myself but I don't have a Honda!

I did in my 1994 LS400. Odometer shows 37x,xxx miles so average is around 18k miles a year. The OCI is 6 mo with dino and 12 mo with syn, the FCI is 12 mo. The filters in this LS400 were mostly low end to mid-range such as Fram Extra Guard, Purolator Classic and Pure 1, Motorcraft, STP and some house brands.

I didn't cut open any filter so I don't know the condition after 15-20k miles. The engine is running good, no sign of sludge.

I ran a paper cartridge filter in my E430 last year for 2 OCI's of around 10,xxx miles. After more than 20k miles the filter looked excellent such that I think it can be used for another OCI of 10k miles. But I have many filters in my stash so I changed it. I change the oil just before we moved so I didn't have time to take picture(s).

From my experiences a non-synthetic filter can be used for way longer than 8-10k miles in a clean engine.

I see fluid and filter changes as cheap insurance, as long as it doesnt cost alot such as tranny filter, I replace it regularly.

4-5k conv. , 5-6k syncblend, 7-8k full synth. roughly 2x use on framUltra

Really doesnt cost much when you factor in walmart oil prices + filters from amazon for around 6 bucks.

I will replace oil every 12 months max, regardless of mileage, so I usually go with synthblend as I drive 15-20k each year.

Last edited:
I've run Honda filters 10K.

I've got an Ultra at about 14K on the way to 20K...

I've run a D+ over 12...

BTW There is nothing wrong with an A01 ("cardboard Fram") I'd run one of those 20K long before I would do it with a Purolator.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
BTW There is nothing wrong with an A02 ("cardboard Fram") I'd run one of those 20K long before I would do it with a Purolator.

Correction

To me, changing oil and leaving the old filter on is like changing a baby's diaper and not wiping the poop off of his behind.

Last edited:
I wouldn't run any oil filter for 20,000 miles.

I know filters are better, oil is better, etc.

Forgive me but it's just to easy to change the oil and filter more often.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I've run Honda filters 10K.

I've got an Ultra at about 14K on the way to 20K...

I've run a D+ over 12...

BTW There is nothing wrong with an A01 ("cardboard Fram") I'd run one of those 20K long before I would do it with a Purolator.

It's not about Purolator.

Just like it's not about Toyota.

I've posted this before:

Chrysler back in the 90's also has 12k km OCI with FCI every other OCI.

A couple of years ago a co-worker totalled his 97 Accord with around 300k kms. He would perform OCI/FCI only whenever the Maintenance Required indicator would signal him to do so. This was the old Greeen-Yellow-Red system on the cluster odometer.

Prior to the accident it would need topping off whenever he felt like it and it ran great. Body was rough though.

Whenever I would change his oil it was always low and had some obscure filters I have never heard of or seen before.

Last edited:
I just went and looked at my '97 Accord wagon and it says 7500 for the oil and 15k for the oil filter. I should have looked sooner, for the first couple of years I changed both the oil and filter and when I got my S2000 I just started to change the oil filter every other time on both cars.

ROD

I'm currently at 17k miles on a M1 filter and 2nd fill of QSUD. Once I hit 15% and pull the filter the proof will be in the pudding. Should be over 20k.

Honda is the number one manufacturer of engines in the world. Are you really smarter than their engineering team. Really?

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I wouldn't run any oil filter for 20,000 miles.

I know filters are better, oil is better, etc.

Forgive me but it's just to easy to change the oil and filter more often.

^^This I agree with 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back