Gonna do multiple drain and fills with Acura trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking my Acura in signature to friends tomorrow. Were gonna remove plastic cover over tranny housing. Drain 3 quarts from pan, got Castrol ATF which is compatible with Acura/Honda. Not going to put the plastic pannel back on the tranny pan. When I change my oil in 4000 miles then I will drain tranny again. This time I will add 3 quarts of Honda/Acura tranny fluid with a bottle of Lube Guard Red. Then install plastic cover for good. Will let that go for a good twenty thousand miles and see where that puts me. Sound like a decent plan all you knowledgeable BITOGERs??

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not use Castrol ATF in a Honda. The friction material they use is very different and should only get Honda ATF. I have seen two people have pretty serious issues using other fluids.

The castrol juice shouldn't be an issue provided it's one that's Honda compatible.

I used to use Maxlife ATF in our 2008 Honda Odyssey 5spd AT. It was easier than changing engine oil.

Thumbs up on the drain and fill plan but I'd use Honda fluids DW-1 I think. It's a not too frequent service and can't see any real cost or performance advantage to using anything else. My .02 - Good luck.

When was the last time the tranny was serviced? How many miles on the car now?

If the last service was 15-30K miles ago, you'll be fine with doing a single D/F. I'd stick with DW-1.

Im the second owner of the Acura, it currently has 88 thousand miles and original owner said it was never serviced. No big deal if I have to return the Castrol and replace with the Honda/Acura tranny fluid.

I can't comment on the oil as I've only used my car manufacturer's ATF fluid. But my one suggestion would be to have extra ATF fluid just in case. I've seen people say that X amount comes out, but then someone else does it and they have Y amount come out. So I'd rather have an extra quart or two just in case.

Plus, it's not wasteful as you already know you're going to be using it during the next oil change.

Hello, I happily use Valvoline brand MaxLife "modernized" Dex/Merc-LV in my family's vehicles which call for a 3309/Toyota T-IV specced fluid. ZERO problems over scads of miles.

HOWEVER, when my brother got his 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring w/50K AND rejoicing over it being loaded with DW-1, not old Z-1 AND not wanting to hear one word about any trannie hiccoughing I told him to go and get a case at the Honda dealer.
His trans shifted OK and the fluid wasn't terribly darkened. We've done two drain & fills. We also did the same to his radiator. He's not automotive. I let him know that's how it's done now-a-days.

Something makes me think Honda endured justified criticism over their trannies and fluid so when the time came to revise things, they did so for the better. The Honda parts department was close by, etc.

I liked not having it on my mind. The cost difference was pennies. Kira

I've been running Honda/Acura auto transmissions for over 400K miles in the last 10 years. I ONLY use Honda/Acura fluid from the dealer and have never had a tranny problem. Not to mention the fluid is fairly affordable and is actually easier to change than the oil in the car.

Call around to all your Honda and Acura dealers and find the best price on a case of ATF DW-1 fluid. Your car came from the factory with ATF-Z1 fluid, but that has been completely phased out and has been replaced by the newer fluid.

A complete transmission fluid change calls for 3 drop and fills, so that is what I would do to your car. Your current fluid is getting up their in age and it would be good to get it out.

Change it, drive 20 miles, change it again, etc until you have changed it three times. Then do a simple drop and fill every 25K to 30K miles and your tranny should have a nice long life.

PS- There was a Acura dealer on the net that sold Acura DW1 for about $6.20/quart SHIPPED, but I can't remember the name and they might charge more now.

I don't think there is a pan, and you might want to get a few new aluminum washers for the drain plug, I think they are the same size as the engine oil drain plug washers, but I'm not positive.

I have only and would only use honda dw1 in my honda automatics.

Your plan is decent. The Castrol ATF is fine for your proposed short run especially 4000 miles. Reality is there is no hard proof out there its bad for the transmission long term.

Dont know why you need lube guard or this serious maintenance unless you are having a driving issue.

I would take half of bubbatimes advice but not waste the fluid. Get a case of dw1.

The fluid isnt magical that is 100% perfect then at the stroke of midnight it turns bad, it degrades over time.

So change transfluid during next 4 oil changes, and get some use out of the fluid.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've been running Honda/Acura auto transmissions for over 400K miles in the last 10 years. I ONLY use Honda/Acura fluid from the dealer and have never had a tranny problem.

Does this include any V6's from the early 2000's?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Does this include any V6's from the early 2000's?

Nope, I avoided those and stuck with 2.4L timing chain cars with 5 speed auto. Great combo. Easy on gas, easy to maintain, super reliable. Wife does 45K-50K miles a year in them and I need her to have a reliable car as she is driving all over the state.

The OP's car is late enough and all problems should have been worked out by then.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I don't think there is a pan, and you might want to get a few new aluminum washers for the drain plug, I think they are the same size as the engine oil drain plug washers, but I'm not positive.

I have only and would only use honda dw1 in my honda automatics.

The tranny drain plug washer is larger (and cost a little more).

Honda ATF isn't requires.
It'll function fine on multivehicle ATF that mentions the Z1 spec that isn't available anymore. It might take a little time for the trans to adapt to new fluid.

Reset the ECU to allow it to adapt to you and the new fluid.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I only use Honda ATF, but others claim MaxLife & Castrol import ATF does just fine in Honda /Acura transmission.

I like Honda DW-1 also.

until i see a AT say filled with Maxx Life ATF from Factory or Filled with Castrol ATF from Factory then I m ight change my mind.

I think all trans should have the dealer atf... The dealers spend big $$$$ on R&D they know whats best.

also I have seen people go 80k miles with factory fill.. I doubt you can get 80k with Maxx life ATF or Castrol..

Update -- used the 3 quarts of Honda DW1 fluid I purchased earlier and took back the Castrol that where purchased yesterday. Next oil change will get 3 more quarts of "fresh" Honda/Acura DW1 fluid and bottle of LubeGuard Red as mentioned initially. Changed air filter also today & found a dead mouse in air box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back