Eating better and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again. So, I am pretty healthy overall although I want to eliminate any bad sugars and have decided to go back to almond or soy milk. Which is better for you? Also can some folks tell me the good or/and bad on quinoa hope I spelled it correct). My doctor was not convinced about it or didn't say much about it. I had my physical Wednesday and I am maybe 14 lbs overweight and want to lose some weight. Thank you in advance for any great advice and suggestions

Wish i could help but i just finished a Burger King Whopper With Cheese Combo so i might be the wrong person to ask ...However a number of the people i know who eat only so called good food and would never eat what i eat are either dead or have Cancer sad but true this is something i would not make up.. My close friend who is also my cardiologist says i should eat better but all the chemicals that are in All foods today are designed to do you in anyway..Crazy!

None of this nitty gritty stuff matters unless you have a specific allergy. Its the approach of your whole diet and lifestyle, not just 1 or 2 or even 3 switches.
Thats probably why your doctor is skeptical if your just looking dor a quick fix when he know how resilient and adaptable the body is. You can literally poison it with alcohol and drugs and it will recover .

I think you can google each of these for your answer to your fquestions. for first question drink water.
for quinoa sure eat it. But dont expect that its somehow magic and cancels out your starbucks frappachino that you had earlier

Last edited:
car,

I can tell you from experience that you're the steward of your own health care. Don't expect doctors to know much about nutritional science. They can write scrips but won't be able to tell you about quinoa or micronutrients unless they're bent that way. My doctor would probably think that quinoa is a new time share development.

I'm a firm believer in the whole "nutritarian" thing that emphasizes that the foods with the highest micronutrient content (kale, mustard greens, bok choy, brussel sprouts, etc.) will effect your health the most and should be eaten in largish quantities. Increasingly, there's science that backs up this idea.

If I had to lose about 15 pounds I'd entertain the idea of getting one of the food "emulsifier" products like a NutriBullet or equivalent Ninja product, etc. and use that as a meal replacement drink just containing fruits and veggies plus spring water with things like flax seed or walnuts. They're pretty filling and would dial you directly into your goal.

Overall, I think that almond milk would probably be better than soy milk but I'm seeing coconut/almond blend milk, hemp milk, and about three other nut milks in my supermarket so you probably have some choices.

watch soy products. They can elevate estrogen in some men. Soy gives me migraines. I'd drink whey protein before soy milk.

Originally Posted By: car51
Hello again. So, I am pretty healthy overall although I want to eliminate any bad sugars and have decided to go back to almond or soy milk. Which is better for you? Also can some folks tell me the good or/and bad on quinoa hope I spelled it correct). My doctor was not convinced about it or didn't say much about it. I had my physical Wednesday and I am maybe 14 lbs overweight and want to lose some weight. Thank you in advance for any great advice and suggestions

Both, soy and almond milk have advantages and disadvantages. As always, hidden sugar is possible, so reading the label is necessary. Estrogen in soy may become an issue if you consume a lot of it. Cow's milk is often overlooked as a source of a lot of carbs. 1 cup whole milk contains 12 grams of carbs.

http://www.prevention.com/content/whats-healthier-soy-milk-or-almond-milk

Quinoa is a nutrionally valuable seed that is packed with minerals. and it is a good alternative for rice. Since it is a carbohydrate, it should be consumed in appropriate quantitities.

http://authoritynutrition.com/11-proven-benefits-of-quinoa/

Losing 14 lbs should not be too diiffuclt if you follow a few guidelines:

1. Before starting a big dietary change like described below, talk to your doctor, expecially if you suffer from any metabolic disorder (prediabetes or diabetes), who will give you tailored figures and who may send you to a dietician who can help you with a weight loss plan.

2. Add some daily exercise to boost your metabolism. Walking one hour at a brisk pace, best in the morning before breakfast, is ideal. You may of course run, but just walking at a good speed will be very useful.

3. Drink plenty plain water throughout the day, the stuff of which your body is mostly made. Drink water before every meal.

4. Cut carbohydrates. First of all, restrict refined carbs as much as possible. Also limit complex carbs. How many carsb you can eat per day and still lose weight depends on your individual metabolism and activity level. I would say, for fairly rapid weight loss, shoot for not more than 50 grams carb per day. Do not eliminate carbs completely, because your blood sugar dropping too low can make you feel terrible, or, if you are diabetic, be lethal.

5. You can eat as much lean meat and fish and as many low-carb veggies as you want, but watch our for starchy root vegetables and carrots, which have a fair amount of carbs. Still eat some fruits, for example blue or balckberries, maybe mixed in with low-fat yogurt. You also need to make sure your total calorie intake does not exceed your requirements. Use an online tool to calculate your calorie requirements based on age, activity level and stature.

As already mentioned, talk to your doctor first!

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
car,

I can tell you from experience that you're the steward of your own health care. Don't expect doctors to know much about nutritional science. They can write scrips but won't be able to tell you about quinoa or micronutrients unless they're bent that way. My doctor would probably think that quinoa is a new time share development.

Pretty sad situation in this day and age. As a patient, if my doctor is unable to answer my questions, I will find someone who can. At least your doctor should be able to refer you to an endocrinologist ot to a nutritionist, who can answer your questions and concerns. Many places have free educational health programs where you can find professionals giving advice and lectures on a range of topics.

hotwheels

Thank you for that info sir
wink.gif

Restrict your diet to food. Don't eat any fake sugar or chemicals. If it's been processed or made into something else, don't eat it.

Or, you can follow the marketing and media. They'll tell you what to eat and you can be just like everyone else. Fast food is cheap and convenient. Besides, if you're young you might as well enjoy it all and tomorrow will take care of itself.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
car,

Pretty sad situation in this day and age. As a patient, if my doctor is unable to answer my questions, I will find someone who can. At least your doctor should be able to refer you to an endocrinologist ot to a nutritionist, who can answer your questions and concerns. Many places have free educational health programs where you can find professionals giving advice and lectures on a range of topics.

hotwheels

In my personal experience, most doctors operate in a mode that's akin to what's called "factory medicine". My point was less about the quality of someone's particular doctor as an acknowledgement that in many cases you'll be able to suss out the information yourself and ( in the case of nutritional science ) get better results than asking a practitioner who either isn't trained to handle questions about it ( or has no interest in it ) to fill you in.

I have no issue with getting a doctor's OK before embarking on a new health regime only that you can probably get a "better" answer when you know where your doctor is coming from combined with information that you've learned both from him / her and elsewhere. I've learned firsthand that doctors can have prejudices that may or may not effect what you're trying to accomplish...that's why I used the term "steward" of your own health care. Granted, that language might be a little over the top if you're just talking about putting veggies and some fruit in a blender but the point's the same.

I completely agree that everyone has to be his own health's steward. My advice to run any major lifestyle change by a doctor first is more about an attempt to prevent unforeseen complications that can arise from such changes in people who are not in good health than it is about specific advise outside of that doctor's field of expertise. I think you will hard-pressed to find any doctor nowadays who will not endorse a patient's efforts to be more active and to eat more healthily. When my primary care doc can't answer a question himself, he always refers me to someone who can.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: car51

Almond is better. For men, there are some bad effects (increased estrogen is one) with high soy intake.

I like coconut milk better than soy or almond milk. Flaxseed milk is also pretty good. Most almonds are coated in a glycol product considered a cheaper pasteurization process. Try googling it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Look for an article in the NY Times. The Myths about the High Protein Diet. PM me if you cannot find it. I think it was Wed.

The title of the article had little to do with Protein. It mainly focused on animalmeat especially meat that was not very lean. The study was somewhat nebu lous on its conclusions.

He indicated that high carb gegetables needed to be eaten in moderation. Protein is a better nutrient than carbs which boost glucose faster and more.

Read better documented articles. Hotwheels is a wealth of very good information. Do the research.

George Foreman grill, Boca burgers (I like the Spicy Chicken patties), and a whole wheat bun or sandwich thin.

Add your choice of toppings, lettuce, stone ground mustard, slice of cheese, tomato, onions, pickle, etc...

5 minutes I have supper and no kitchen to clean...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back