Oil recommendation for 84 Caprice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were you hiding on holidays?
wink.gif

As dave1251 is aware, the taxis ran Quaker State conventional in 10w-30 from cradle to grave, as it were. We didn't worry about the cams. When the cam got rounded out, we replaced it, that's all. It's neither a difficult nor an expensive job.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Were you hiding on holidays?
wink.gif

As dave1251 is aware, the taxis ran Quaker State conventional in 10w-30 from cradle to grave, as it were. We didn't worry about the cams. When the cam got rounded out, we replaced it, that's all. It's neither a difficult nor an expensive job.

Trust me I was in a place worse than a BITOG holiday. At least I know I can out run over 60% of America's finest 18-22 year service members. Not bad for a 34 year old E-6 former squid.

34 is still young and at a peak for running.
wink.gif
I don't want to date myself, but one of my professors was a runner on our Olympic team back at the 1936 Olympics. He still ran every day at the university. He was old as dirt, so he's not a contemporary of mine.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: RyanCreasia
I have an 84 Chevy Caprice coupe with a 305 and just over 30k miles that I am contemplating taking out of storage for the summer. While it is old; it still has low mileage. It's been sitting for a while. I believe GM originally recommended 10w-30? Any special considerations on what to put in for oil when I change it?

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi RyanCreasia,

We suggest using the Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 10W-30 in your ’84 Caprice. Its formulated with higher a zinc wear package that targets high temperature and high-wear surfaces where they are needed the most, while still being friendly to catalytic converters and others emission control equipment.

-The Shell Rotella Team

My 79 Malibu 305 used 5W-30. 83 GMC Rally van 305 used 5W-30. 85 Chev van 305 used 5W-30. 85 Chev Caprice V6 used 5W-30. Wouldn't this 84 use 5W-30 not 10W-30?

I believe 10w-30 was an allowable viscosity then, and we used it in the taxis year round. Of course, they never shut off to ambient. Here, if I were running a 305 year round, it would be getting 5w-30 year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back