Power steering only works in one direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my dad traded his decent little Sunfire for a cr@ppy 2005 GMC Envoy XL. The biggest problem it has, aside from the cracked exhaust manifold, flaky door bottoms, non-working VVT and bouncy rear suspension is the power steering only provides assist in one direction. Judging by what I've found by Googling, it's most likely a problem with the spool valve or a bypass valve in the steering rack itself. Is there some type of additive he can put in the steering flid to help free up that stuck valve or is rack replacement the only repair option?

I'd trade it for GearToolHead's Expedition.
wink.gif

But seriously jack the front wheels up and run the wheel back and forth with no load to check for mechanical binding.

You could try GM's Cold Climate power steering fluid as a last ditch effort to get some improvement, but I doubt there is anything you can do with fluid to really fix this.

If there is evidence of a past leak that doesn't seem to be active, it's possible they put something like Lucas in it.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Try some Seafoam "Trans Tune"
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-TT-16-Transmission-Additive/dp/B0002JN2F4

+1. Has cured some ps ills for me before. regular SeaFoam is the same as TT so just use that, btw, it is easier to find.

If the truck is not driveable, jack the front off the ground and spin the wheel to move it around. If you do see an improvement, then run it a few days more then swap the fluid out entirely for a new synthetic fluid and let it finish cleaning up things while you drive.

Before shelling out for a new rack, I would try some MMO or seafoam trans tune. The possibility of ruining the pump is worth the possibility of avoiding buying a rack.

The common cause is aluminum wear surfaces in the spool that directs the fluid. This is similar to automatic transmissions, so the tans tune products might get you more use.

Long term a rebuilt rack with rebored and sleeved spool will be the best solution.

Rod

Either a spool valve isn't functioning or an internal seal is failing. You can try replacing PSF, and try using PSF additives, but don't have high expectations.

Odds are the rack needs replacement. If you buy a rebuild, don't use one that is carelessly sprayed with black paint. Those only last about one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back