What Struts to buy? Gabriel? Monroe? KYB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: babyivan
Monroe is offering a great rebate deal till April 30th.
I just ordered a complete set of their quick-strut complete assemblies for my newly acquired Camry through Rockauto and got a $120 rebate. $470-120 = $350 for complete suspension overhaul that I can install myself..... I love the advent of complete strut assemblies!!
It's a good idea, but many Gen 3 Cammrys have a shock cartridge insert which can be replaced without changing out the whole assembly. BTW 15 inch or bigger wheels wheels will make that car behave.

About 2 years ago:

I put Gabriel ready struts on the rear of my Corolla. They squeak, squeak, squeak. Especially when it's cold out and there is a load in the trunk or back seat.

I put Monroe ready struts in the front of my Corolla. First pair were assembled by a blind person. The grommets were sideways. Returned. Second pair had one good assemble and one bad. The rubber grommet was again sideways but better than the first one. Kept one, send one back. The third assembly looked good but made a noise going over a bump. Send it back. The forth one was a keeper. With all this practice with struts, I can remove and replace the front pair in 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Anyone have any recommendation if the choice was between Monroe quickstruts and Gabriel readymount for a 2000 Accord with almost 200k. It's on the original struts now. Both Monroe and Gabriel have rebate promotions going on now. But Monroes will still be cheaper but approximately 100 bucks. Is Gabriel worth the extra dollars?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I've had decent results with the Monroe Quick Struts except in their "OE SPECTRUM" line - they suck. I have installed about 3 or 4 sets of their regular struts which were the sensa-trak flavor. Then I did an import with the OE SPECTRUM and after about 10k miles the customer was completely dissatisfied. The ride and noise were awful. Thankfully, they provided those parts so I didn't get stuck trying to warranty them and source new ones.

I put a pair of Monroe OE Spectrum struts on the front of my 2003 Saab 9-5 about five months ago, along with new coil springs, control arm bushings, and ball joints. I'm pleased with the performance of the struts so far, but have only put about 4k miles on them. Hard to say if they'll wear as well as the original Sachs struts.

In my experience, if you're driving a car that is 12+ years old with 120k+ miles on it your coil springs are worn out. Springs don't seem like something that should wear out, but they do. Putting new OEM springs on when you replace the struts or shocks on an older car makes a really big difference in handling and ride height.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It's a good idea, but many Gen 3 Cammrys have a shock cartridge insert which can be replaced without changing out the whole assembly. BTW 15 inch or bigger wheels wheels will make that car behave.

Yeah you can replace just the inserts, but why bother? Doing that is even more difficult than just replacing the strut itself. Replacing the whole assembly is a good idea because the springs sag quite a bit in some of those cars, and you don't even have to use a spring compressor.

The only time I'd replace just the insert is if you want Koni.

I have used the low end Monroe blue struts on my beater. The back set lasted 100K miles before they leaked, and the front set have over 110K miles on them and still work.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: babyivan
Monroe is offering a great rebate deal till April 30th.
I just ordered a complete set of their quick-strut complete assemblies for my newly acquired Camry through Rockauto and got a $120 rebate. $470-120 = $350 for complete suspension overhaul that I can install myself..... I love the advent of complete strut assemblies!!

Even if it had the cartridges, that would require separating the the spring from the strut. and labor would be the biggest expense since I don't have the spring tool and prefer not to mess with it.
As for the rims, I'm sure if I put 15s it would be better, but living here in the city for 14s are good for all the rough road . Thanx, though.

I chose Gabriel Ultras for the Camry because they were on sale and have a lifetime warranty.

I am satisfied with the performance and I'd choose them again.

Originally Posted By: mister_two
Anyone have any recommendation if the choice was between Monroe quickstruts and Gabriel readymount for a 2000 Accord with almost 200k. It's on the original struts now. Both Monroe and Gabriel have rebate promotions going on now. But Monroes will still be cheaper but approximately 100 bucks. Is Gabriel worth the extra dollars?

I have Monroe Quick Struts all the way around on my I35 and I'm pleased with their performance. I also have a 6th gen Accord with the original Showa struts and love the not-so-soft-but-not-super-firm ride even after so many miles. The Monroe's will definitely ride on the softer side.

I use both and would go with which ever is cheaper. They are both similar performance and some are made in the same factory.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

I use both and would go with which ever is cheaper. They are both similar performance and some are made in the same factory.

Same factory?

Not trying to be a thread snatcher here, but is there a designated time frame or mileage limit as to when struts and shocks should be replaced?

Originally Posted By: Lillikai
Not trying to be a thread snatcher here, but is there a designated time frame or mileage limit as to when struts and shocks should be replaced?

Nope. Varies wildly by application. My sig car shipped with Bilsteins that are still in great shape at 102k miles.

Our fleet trucks pound them to death in 75-100k miles. Just looked at a friend's front end on a 2009 Camry and they were completely shot with only 79k miles.

Has a lot to do with how and where you drive as well...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Same factory?

There are a lot of cars that use a specific strut/shock so instead of spending the money to make it they just out source it. If you get a Gabriel or Monroe made in some small European country then that would be one. Can't remember the name but it was the Mazda3/5 and Focus rear shock for 1 example.

The mass produced ones are made in their own factory.

Originally Posted By: Lillikai

I've seen banners in chain repair shops saying struts should be replaced at 50K miles. Just another one of their pricey "recommendations" I suppose.

My sig Accord still has the factory steering/suspension and rides smooth as glass. My I35 had blown struts all the way around before 80K miles. The "bounce test" isn't that accurate with modern McPherson struts because my I35 passed it. But a few minutes on somewhat uneven roads clearly showed the struts were done. So it basically varies from car-to-car.

Last edited:
I use Gabriel ready mounts and shocks, they work great. I go cheap cause, my cars are all mileage. On the Cruiser the struts and springs were bent. I put Sensi on my Honda accord, because they were 50 bucks for two. They work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back