quality of spark

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have always wondered if a non resistor spark plug would produce a hotter spark at the electrodes than a resistor plug.also why do they still manufacture resistor spark plugs today since everything has solid state circuitry.

resistor plugs are designed/used extensively nowadays as part of EMI/RFI suppression strategy. There's no way one can get away (nowadays) with non-resistor type spark plugs on sensitive Electronic Fuel Injection systems w/o leading to some sort of electrical gremlins (due to RFI noise introduced into the systems causing all kinds of misbehaviours).

non-resistor type spark plugs are still common in OPE engines, and/or some hot rodders with MSI ignitions.

Q.

Oh and BTW: to a high tension circuitry, the resistor inside the ceramic body of the spark plug does not "pose" any resistance whatsoever, so there's no such thing called "non-resistor" plugs burn hotter...

The resistor plug is for radio noise suppression . The none resistor plug in some systems will produce a hotter spark , but with increased radio interference. I have heard some solid state ignition systems can be damaged by a non-resistor plug, if not designed for it, since it will draw more current. I can't verify though.

Most of my small engines have a weak spark compared to auto standards, I can barely see them. Could be at lower rpm the magneto (magnet induced) has lower output.

Last edited:
Non-resistor plugs won't work with the EDIS in my Bug at all. The feedback is so bad it will even screw with the laptop if I've got it hooked up to the Megasquirt.

Originally Posted By: punisher
The resistor in a plug makes no difference in the spark. The resistance is miniscule as compared to the electrode gap.
This. ^ There is no way to suspend Ohm's Law. A slight correction..." compared to the RESISTANCE of the electrode gap".

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Non-resistor plugs won't work with the EDIS in my Bug at all. The feedback is so bad it will even screw with the laptop if I've got it hooked up to the Megasquirt.

Most of the problem is caused by solid ignition wire which acts as an antenna. A plug wire with the conductor (often Monel) wound in a coil on an insulating center, (Essex Mag Wire is one brand) will damp the radio waves generated , since they are AC and pass the DC spakk current. It's worth a try. A "wire" with a center of conductive carbon will do the same, but the high energy output of mordern systems will burn the carbon wire out in no time. Carbon resistors were and still are used in vast numbers in the electronics industry. Carbon wire once often OEM and had "radio supressive" stamped on the jacket. Examine an NGK plug wre you have replaced and see how it is made.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: james1950
i have always wondered if a non resistor spark plug would produce a hotter spark at the electrodes than a resistor plug.also why do they still manufacture resistor spark plugs today since everything has solid state circuitry.

All my gas OPE equipment in the last 10 years has spec'd resistor spark plugs in the owner's manual. Maybe it has something to do with them now using electronic ignitions rather than points and condenser as in the "old" days
21.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: james1950

All my gas OPE equipment in the last 10 years has spec'd resistor spark plugs in the owner's manual. Maybe it has something to do with them now using electronic ignitions rather than points and condenser as in the "old" days
21.gif

Whimsey

B&S engines have been on the contactless/breakerless Magnetron ignition module sometime during the 80s, and they finally rid of all their remaining tooling RE: point-based ignition on OPE engines well into the 90s (I have a 4.5hp quattro engine built in the early 90s with points, go figure).

Some good reading to share:

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm

Oh and BTW: for B&S engines, used to be (sometime during the late 70s) there was the solid-state magneto retrofit kit available for point-type OPE engines in those days, and while during it's early days, s-s ignition module reliability was questionable at best, it wasn't until the quality stabilised and the wide adoption of Magnetron where they went completely contactless.

Honda OPE engines have been contactless since early 80s, similarly with Suzuki and Kawazaki engines (more or less within the same few years in the late 70s/early 80s)

You are dealing with several thousand volts of energy, other than noise suppression, you will not see any performance differences by going with non resistive plugs.

Resistor plugs last longer in addition to noise suppression because they limit the peak current but, not the voltage. The result is less gap erosion. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back