no particular reason for this post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they would play that at work instead of the same 12 top-40 songs. At least it sounds like good elevator music.

Here's another oldie for ya by my favorite guitarist:

This is Johnny Winter´s first recording (1960). He was only 15 and his brother Edgar (on sax) 13.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I like Oldies music, but I think this is a bit too much for me.

I blame that keyboard!

Give The Ventures version a listen. It's a lil more tame than The Tornadoes,sounds a lil more "surf rockish".

Funny anecdote, the Telstar satellite had an earth station in Andover, Maine, as it was accessible to phone lines but far from terrestrial interference. It had such an impact on the town they named their school "Telstar High School."

Then the "birds" were sold and renamed "Intelsat Americas" which doesn't have the same cachet.
frown.gif

But the school, and this song, remains.

Well, I ended up on a little "Telstar information bender", some interesting stuff.

The Ventures version is nice, a little more mellow, thanks for posting it.

There's a Wikipedia page on the Telstar song. There's a wikipedia page about everything.

The Wikipedia page on the Telstar satellite mentions the Andover station, the other end was Goonhilly Downs in southwestern England. And it looks like they still call it "Telstar High School", Bethel, ME.

The rocket shown in the video appears authentic, a Thor-Delta.

When I was very young, I remember my older brother calling us outside to watch a fast moving star in the sky. It was the Echo satellite, a precursor to Telstar.

This song always touches an emotional chord for me. To me it resonates with the innocent and unbridled faith in technology that was the '50s and early '60s. A faith that has been tempered over time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back