2007 Toyota sienna suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the 3.5 litre V6 and I'm just curious what OCI the experts here would recommend using OEM Toyota filters. It doesn't do any towing so I'm guessing I'm OK for 5000 miles with conventional and maybe close to 10,000 with a good synthetic. Is it a bad idea to leave the filter in for 2 conventional oil changes @5k miles? I've noticed the new Sienna uses the same filter and recommends 10k mile intervals. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Just use a long life filter like mobil 1 which is designed for 15K miles; I use mine for (3) or (4) 5K changes.

Some will say not to use a filter for multiple oil changes, based on it leaves some of the oil in the engine. There is a lot of left in the engine during an oil change; 10 oz more won't make a big difference IMHO.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!

Your 8 year old minivan should do fine on OEM Toyota Oil Filters at 5,000 mile oil change intervals for mixed driving. A conventional oil such as Pennzoil's Yellow Bottle or any synthetic should be just fine.

i have dumped whatever leftover oil that is on the shelf into our van and it doesnt care. 5w30, a little bit of 5w40, some 5w20, frankly i forgot what went in last time. the cartridge filter was probably a purolator classic or whatever knockoff i found on the cheap.

in short, the engine is indestructible, make it pay for what you already paid.

Toyota OEM filters are good quality, should have no issues going 10k on a quality synthetic. Everyone has their favorites but I don't think you can go wrong with a 5w-30 from M1, Castrol, Pennzoil, QS, Valvoline.

If you wanted to step it up maybe look at a Maxlife Synthetic or M1 High Mileage.

The newer 3.5L (I have one in my 2012 Highlander) have a recommended OCI of 10K miles with 0W20. They use the same OEM filters, so I'm sure the filter is plenty good for 10K miles.

At least with the newer 'Yodas, the 0w20 tells me the engine needs synthetic, but the OM should also say a 5w20 can be used if a 0w20 (which is strictly for fuel economy) isn't available. Should be 10k intervals too.

Not sure what your van calls for, but any 5w-20/30 will be fine. Id personally do conventional at 5k.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
At least with the newer 'Yodas, the 0w20 tells me the engine needs synthetic, but the OM should also say a 5w20 can be used if a 0w20 (which is strictly for fuel economy) isn't available. Should be 10k intervals too.

Not sure what your van calls for, but any 5w-20/30 will be fine. Id personally do conventional at 5k.

They originally called for 5w-30 but then back spec'd for 0w-20 (which is only available in synthetic).

I'd personally stick with the original spec of 5w-30 but switch to synthetic and run 10k OCI's with confidence.

Stay with the 5W-30.

I liked PYB at 5,000 OCI's in my old Sienna.

I never knew if that particular Toyota V6 was a sludger or not.

I didn't give it the chance to become one.

Seems like everyone was pre-occupied with the timing belt on that vehicle though.

Originally Posted By: ssneakster
I've got the 3.5 litre V6 and I'm just curious what OCI the experts here would recommend using OEM Toyota filters. It doesn't do any towing so I'm guessing I'm OK for 5000 miles with conventional and maybe close to 10,000 with a good synthetic. Is it a bad idea to leave the filter in for 2 conventional oil changes @5k miles? I've noticed the new Sienna uses the same filter and recommends 10k mile intervals. Thanks guys.

Hi ssneakster - We would strongly recommend that you install a new oil filter at every oil change, per your OEM manual (all OEMs insist on changing the oil AND the filter at the interval). You see, over time the filter accumulates particulate (like dirt, wear metals, etc.) that has been trapped, until it reaches a point where it is possible for oil passage through the filter to be obstructed - and you certainly don’t want an obstruction of oil flow to your critical engine parts!

Furthermore, engine oil filter systems do have by-pass valves to prevent a catastrophic failure due to little-to-no lubrication getting to your engine – that’s the good news. The bad news is, that once the filter reaches its filtration capacity, the filtration system will go into by-pass – which means raw particulate is then allowed to enter the engine “unfiltered” (which can, and will, cause accelerated wear, etc.)

Bottom line, it’s worth the money to go ahead and change your oil filter when you change your engine oil at the proper oil drains set by your engine OEM. - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back