Acetone and ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Acetone vs. nail polish remover and suggesting a 50/50 mix with ATF in a post is the BITOG equivalent of a shameless pick-up line in a bar, is it not? Kira

Nail polish remover has "other stuff" in it, fragrance and who knows. I'd seek out the real stuff at home depot by the paint section.

I have seen plenty of NPR's stating 100% acetone on the label. Just get one of those.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Got my acetone at Walmart.

We use this in our biz a lot as a spot remover for specific issues.

Get it right in the local Wally World, cheap and plentiful...

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Will this mixture last once it is mixed OR is it a use as/when needed?

No mix as needed.

I'm considering MEK & ATF 50/50 MIX. Or my second choice which (maybe) stronger, Chem Tool B12 fuel injector cleaner, 30/70 mix. This is for my O2 Sensors.

It will separate over time so if you mix up a batch you will need to shake it up before use. Also if the container isn't sealed tightly the acetone will evaporate out pretty quickly.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
It will separate over time so if you mix up a batch you will need to shake it up before use.

Same with brake-fluid and ATF. No mix.

I mixed it in a hair dye bottle (and the mixture is still in the bottle) The bottle still has not melted after few weeks!

Penetrating oil can be made with light mineral oil and mineral spirits. Not kerosene or worst yet, acetone (both attacks rubber and acetone will cut lubrication).

The point of the acetone is to wick into tight spaces and take some lubricant with it, the acetone will flash out but leave the lubricant behind. Some lube is always better than no lube.

The nail paint remover verson has only about 40% acetone a little 10% water, about 40% alcohol and 10% glicerin added and they won't mix with oil, so it won't carry any lube, as supposed.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
The point of the acetone is to wick into tight spaces and take some lubricant with it, the acetone will flash out but leave the lubricant behind. Some lube is always better than no lube.

A little secret, the ATF is providing two things: some lubrication and phosphorus. It's the phosphorus that attacks the rust scale.

ironman is correct; the acetone or MEK thins out the ATF and allows the phosphorus to wick into the rust scale.

Last edited:
Any solvent will thin out atf, but penetrants are made of mineral spirits, and will last longer in place than acetone. But if you want low grade contaminated acetone in a nail paint remover, so be it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back