Royal Purple research giving me a panic attack????

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was always under the impression it was a good oil from forum searches. Recently I was able to grab a ton for our civics on clearance at Wal-Mart for cheaper than any other full syn there. I couldn't pass it up plus again I thought it was a good syn. I re searched it today and see bad things people say is this true? I saw somethings about it like, getting thick in under 6,000 mile intervals, unusual wear, come on is it really that bad I though it was one of the better synthetics now I'm scared to run in our cars. If anyone has facts about this or personal experience id Love to hear your thoughts.

The only issue with RP oil is the price compared to other synthetics (when not on clearance).

Otherwise use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Royal Purple what? HPS? ILSAC? ACEA?

They market many performance levels.

Wally World only carries their API approved oils for cars.

Last edited:
oops my bad I should have stated that sorry its the 0w-20 for our 2014 civics 1.8l. I have it in now just hit 5,000 miles I though it felt great but just wanted to clarify after doing this new research got nervous.

Last edited:
You said you got it at Walmart so that was all the information that was needed
thumbsup2.gif

You have a great oil and a great filter there....use with confidence for whatever the OM states as a maximum OCI.

PS: I think RP markets this as a 12K mile oil.

What did you pay for the RP on 'Clearance'?

Its a great oil. You'll be pleasantly surprised how smooth and quiet your Civic will run after changing to Royal Purple.

Great may be a stretch but it is a serviceable oil with an add pack similar to Valvoline synthetic.

Nothing special but certainly nothing bad.

Use it with confidence for normal, but not extended, OCI's.

Thanks without the education from this site I'd never have known to use that filter and quality oils. $5 a quart. I forgot the price of the 5qt. jugs though. It was still cheaper than pp so I jumped on it. Theres still some stores with shelves of it I might go get the rest if I can debunk the negative reviews.

Use it with confidence. It's a good serviceable oil that is on a par with other mass-market synthetics. Since you got it for a good price, you've overcome the complaint that most of RP's detractors on BITOG have: overpriced for what it is.

If you had bought it for $15/quart when you could have gotten M1 for $9/qt, we would be saying you wasted your money.

Last edited:
So ignore the websites 12,000 mile interval and stick with regular owners manual drain instructions to be on the safe side?

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
So ignore the websites 12,000 mile interval and stick with regular owners manual drain instructions to be on the safe side?

Yes, ignore the 12k max interval as your Civic is still under warranty, so follow the OLM.

Yes, since your car is a 2014 and is still (presumably) under warranty, stick with the Owner's Manual recommendations.

Nothing wrong with that approach.

I think you nailed it.

I wouldn't go any deeper at $5/quart because better deals on good oil are always waiting just down the road.

well i know for warranty reasons I was referring to your statement that its a serviceable oil with only normal drain intervals not extended. Meaning are you saying you believe it doesn't have what it takes to be as good as the claims. I really appreciate all the input also guys
smile.gif

Last edited:
It's just average synthetic oil, not unicorn tears like the Synerlec stuff RP sells.

But if you are leaning toward extended drains, pick an EP oil like M1EP or gold bottle Castrol for that.

Your FRAM Ultra will take care of you for that longer OCI too.

nice again thanks for all the replies really appreciate it!!! I'll keep running RP for now.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Yes, ignore the 12k max interval as your Civic is still under warranty, so follow the OLM.

+2 ^^^ this...I change my kid's Civic at 5000 with synthetic. All of her driving is severe servicex2
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back