'Luks' bulb quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months back I had the driver's side low beam bulb go out on my Sedona. It uses the unique to Hyundai/Kia (I believe) H11B bulb. This bulb is darn expensive at any local retailer, like $20 for a basic bulb. So I bought a 2-pack of Luks branded stock wattage/color bulbs from eBay. Made in China, but it has OEM color and a nice cutoff. In fact, it matches the other side (OEM bulb). Anyone else used these bulbs before? Since they're so hard to find at a reasonable price, I may just hack up the harness integrated into the housing itself and rework the harness for a normal H11 or H9 bulb.

Look at that filament life, the H11b last about 3 times longer. The reason behind this is that the H11 isn't meant to be running as much, it's a fog light or driving light on a car. The H11b bulb is typically used as a low beam bulb. Now some cars do use the H11 for a low beam (A Silverado for example), but unless the power going to the bulb is lower, then you will changing that H11 3 times more often than a car with an H11b bulb.
3 H11 bulbs equal one H11B bulb in life expectancy.

If the bulbs are bright and the filament is well placed then I'd be happy.

I bought a LUKS bulb a few years ago, it was made in Korea. The filament placement was so poor that it was unusable. The headlight output with that LUKS bulb was like a halo instead of a beam. I did make sure it was seated properly.

Just like the successful companies from Japan and Korea, they do learn in China. The successful ones get better and the not-so-good ones fall by the wayside. I got some very good Chinese H/L bulbs recently, too.

Only time will tell how long these last, but the advertised life span is very good. The performance is also very good. And, for this price, keep an extra pair on hand and don't sweat it.

CIPA Bulbs

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Only time will tell how long these last, but the advertised life span is very good. The performance is also very good. And, for this price, keep an extra pair on hand and don't sweat it.

CIPA Bulbs

Thanks for the link; although those are H11 and my van uses the H11B bulb. I do keep an extra one in the glovebox in case one fails, though.

I sent the link for H11 just because that is what I bought. That web site seemed to have a better price than others and the manufacturer makes other bulbs, too. I've just found that I don't get a whole lot of noticeable improvement from the so-called better bulbs and they do tend to burn out a lot faster than standard. If these bulbs really have a 2,000 lifespan they are considerably longer lasting than even OEM bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back